2016 Draft Thread IV (June 24-25)

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Do you have link to finns forum?

http://keskustelu.jatkoaika.com/threads/edmonton-oilers-2016%E2%80%932017.64014/page-2

Jatkoaika's NHL discussion section - Edmonton Oilers - post #29

Tuosta Behind the scenes -pätkästä pari palaa:

"Onha tää parempi paikka ku Columbus"
tekstitykset: This is a better looking jersey than Columbus!

"Vittu mitä pelleilyä, Connor Mäkdeividi, Hall..."
tekstitykset: Connor McDavid, Hall.. going to be cool to play with."

Ihan tyytyväiseltä vaikuttaa Puluju, näin voisin väittää. Ja nythän on sitten sellainen tilanne, että Korpikoskea ei voida ostaa ulos. Tuolla kielitaidolla tarvitaan melkeinpä kaksi suomalaista samaan joukkueeseen, että on aina tulkki paikalla. Innolla jään odottelemaan jonkun insiderin vuotamia videoita Yakupovin ja Puljujärven keskusteluista.

-Nais vether todei
-yees, yees, babushka say to me one day sunshine is very nice
-okei, bai nau

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
That's a hell of a haul for the scouting department.

I wander how many pissed off CBJ fans are also STHs. I thought I'd be a lot more upset than i am that we didn't take Puljujärvi. Center or not if they think this kid is a real player than ive got faith that its the right call, even if it's not the one i would have made.

I'm one of those pissed off CBJ fans that is a full season STH (split tickets with family).. I try go to about 20 games a year and I live over 2 hours away.. I'm just finding myself doubting this plan more and more. I'm starting to lose faith in this front office, Jarmo, and maybe even our scouting staff as a whole. We've been losing for pretty much 16 years and I haven't exactly been floored with our drafts to say "In Jarmo, I trust". Yes, Bjorkstrand was a gem in the 3rd round

Personally, I think we need a little more skill/passing ability/shooting ability throughout our lineup as a whole and maybe not as many "Blue Jacket mold players". I thought Puljujarvi would be a great addition to this franchise.

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?
Maybe Debois will be a better addition to this franchise, but will anyone give him that chance.

Since he is very young, changing positions, wont push to make the line up this year and exposing more players to the expansion draft, has tons of potential. He gets his chance with me. Plus he's going to want to prove himself a little more than the kid we skipped. The video shows Puljujarvi family wasn't enamored with cbj. How much effort would he give? It maybe a collective sigh of relief all the way around. Some people strive to get better.. Some people think they don't have to work that hard.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Since he is very young, changing positions, wont push to make the line up this year and exposing more players to the expansion draft, has tons of potential. He gets his chance with me. Plus he's going to want to prove himself a little more than the kid we skipped. The video shows Puljujarvi family wasn't enamored with cbj. How much effort would he give? It maybe a collective sigh of relief all the way around. Some people strive to get better.. Some people think they don't have to work that hard.

I knowwwwwwww it's just my opinion and ive said it a few times(and i was fully aboard team Puljujärvi) is that maybe Jarmo really did have an advantage on Puljujärvi. Being able to have a REAL conversation with him and realllly get to know the kid and his personality anx being able to talk to his teammates and friends in Finnish to really understand what everyone says. Not through a translator, not through scouts, but face to face.

It may be something, it may be nothing. Just my .02

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
My issue is 2 part.

1) Draft the best player available. Dubois was not that player. Period. When virtually the entire league looks at you and goes "ummmmmm" you might want to take a look at what you've just done. And let's be honest....it's not like Jarmo has had a lot of success as GM so far. It's not like he's won 2 cups and then done something off script. He's had zero success and wasted a gift. Puljujarvi is the more talented player and it's pretty obvious to just about everybody.

2) The complete and utter mishandling of the situation. Okay, if you really, truly believe in Dubois over Puljujarvi (you're wrong, but okay) fine. BUT DON'T EFFING DRAFT HIM AT 3! Trade down and if you can't trade down, then draft Puljujarvi and trade with the team that drafts Dubois. You'll be trading from a position of strength and even if you only get a crap extra pick thrown in you are at least getting SOMETHING. That's what a good GM should do. If you knew Dubois was your guy at 3 all along and you knew everybody else thought Puljujarvi was the third best player....you've had how long to get something done?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
My issue is 2 part.

1) Draft the best player available. Dubois was not that player. Period. When virtually the entire league looks at you and goes "ummmmmm" you might want to take a look at what you've just done. And let's be honest....it's not like Jarmo has had a lot of success as GM so far. It's not like he's won 2 cups and then done something off script. He's had zero success and wasted a gift. Puljujarvi is the more talented player and it's pretty obvious to just about everybody.

He's got more of a good reputation for drafting than 9/10 of the GM's out there. And he doesn't give a **** what anyone thinks. (We should be glad). You seem pretty confident, but we don't know what the other team's lists were. You can't just use the public lists as a proxy for them. Every year the reports come out after draft day about the guy who everybody had near the top that wasn't up there on the public lists.

2) The complete and utter mishandling of the situation. Okay, if you really, truly believe in Dubois over Puljujarvi (you're wrong, but okay) fine. BUT DON'T EFFING DRAFT HIM AT 3! Trade down and if you can't trade down, then draft Puljujarvi and trade with the team that drafts Dubois. You'll be trading from a position of strength and even if you only get a crap extra pick thrown in you are at least getting SOMETHING. That's what a good GM should do. If you knew Dubois was your guy at 3 all along and you knew everybody else thought Puljujarvi was the third best player....you've had how long to get something done?

If Brown was the guy, this would make sense. But Dubois was going 4th or 5th (later reporting makes it seem 5th). So the only option is trading down to 4th, and if the Oilers don't want to pay to move up there's nothing Jarmo can do about it. It would be obvious to the Oilers that Jarmo is only trading down because he wants someone besides JP, so why trade up when you get JP at 4?

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
He's got more of a good reputation for drafting than 9/10 of the GM's out there. And he doesn't give a **** what anyone thinks. (We should be glad). You seem pretty confident, but we don't know what the other team's lists were. You can't just use the public lists as a proxy for them. Every year the reports come out after draft day about the guy who everybody had near the top that wasn't up there on the public lists.

If Brown was the guy, this would make sense. But Dubois was going 4th or 5th (later reporting makes it seem 5th). So the only option is trading down to 4th, and if the Oilers don't want to pay to move up there's nothing Jarmo can do about it. It would be obvious to the Oilers that Jarmo is only trading down because he wants someone besides JP, so why trade up when you get JP at 4?

Why should we be glad? It's not like he's producing winning rosters. If you're Stan Bowman and you've won a couple cups THEN you can go against conventional wisdom and be wacky. But when you've been bad (really bad) you need to take the good player when he's available to you.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Why should we be glad? It's not like he's producing winning rosters. If you're Stan Bowman and you've won a couple cups THEN you can go against conventional wisdom and be wacky. But when you've been bad (really bad) you need to take the good player when he's available to you.

I don't want Jarmo making decisions that way.

And you're lumping together amateur scouting and pro scouting. Some of Jarmo's pro acquisition decisions have been awful (Boll, Campbell, Clarkson) That has contributed to the team being pretty bad.

But Jarmo's amateur drafting hasn't had time to effect the team that way. His first draft picks don't reach their primes until the year 2019! So you certainly can't reason backwards from the bad hockey team to bad drafting and then say he's bad at drafting. And you can't reason that from observing the 2013 draft itself - Jarmo's picks outperform those taken around him.

orthosrgn2

Apr 26, 2007
I have watched the 2016 Draft and will stand behind Jarmo's selections. I was disappointed when we passed on JP and admit I wasn't thinking of Dubois as our first choice. "They" say JP was NHL ready and Dubois was just switched to center this year, but I know the scouts and Jarmo did all the leg work to make the best pick for the Bluejackets. Does anyone believe Jarmo and JD sat around and thought, "How can we screw the Bluejackets this year?." Jarmo and JD will be held accountable their choices, but that won't be know for several years. Is there any wonder that no one does a redraft until 5 years after and the results are very often eons away from the original draft. Johnny Hockey anybody?

I too am tired of the loosing, the bad contracts and the country club attitude we have had to endure as fans. Jarmo knows he is in a tough situation and I am sure he is aware of the fans desire for a winner now, but I believe he must be given 5 years to produce or fail. I will wait to see how he does this summer with the current roster before I become uneasy.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I know there is this narrative that Jarmo is a scouting expert, but I am really trying to figure out how much substance there is to that opinion. I always hear about Marian Hossa and he was a stud. Hossa was the #2 ranked European skater that season going into the draft and they picked him at #12. Even if it was Jarmo's idea, he didn't exactly find a diamond in the rough.

In Columbus, his entire resume of finding gems after round 1 seems to be based on Bjorkstrand. Wennberg has been fine but not a game changer. Rychel was a big miss and Dano has yet to produce in the NHL though he showed enough early to be part of a trade for value which is something I guess. The 2014 draft appears to be a bust after round 1 and that pick could crash as well. Back to Bjorkstrand. He was the 36th ranked North American skater on the final list in 2013. At the time he was picked at #89, everyone in the top 42 of that list was gone except him. You literally would have gotten him with the auto draft feature.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Just speculation, but is it possible Puljujarvi pulled a Lindros?

Not to crap on him or anything, but is it possible that he tipped Jarmo off during interviews? That would seem to explain a sudden shift in draft strategy. Either that or his knee but I think that's minor.

Obviously Jarmo could just have PLD as high or higher. But I'm curious. I want to know what it is/was that set him apart in Jarmo's eyes.

Cbus1979

Jan 18, 2014
I'm pretty confident this will be considered a great draft in a few years,JK has a outstanding track record at drafting solid nhl players,if you go through the list of his drafts at St. Louis..it's crazy how many gems he was able to get,and most were middle of the 1st round,getting Schwartz and Taresenko in the same draft,both mid 1st rounders...I believe we are building an organizational depth that we have never had before,look at our prospects at defense,werenski was a great pick,looks like he will be better than his ranking on draft day

brianhatesu

Aug 8, 2003
Dayton
Visit site
I know there is this narrative that Jarmo is a scouting expert, but I am really trying to figure out how much substance there is to that opinion. I always hear about Marian Hossa and he was a stud. Hossa was the #2 ranked European skater that season going into the draft and they picked him at #12. Even if it was Jarmo's idea, he didn't exactly find a diamond in the rough.

In Columbus, his entire resume of finding gems after round 1 seems to be based on Bjorkstrand. Wennberg has been fine but not a game changer. Rychel was a big miss and Dano has yet to produce in the NHL though he showed enough early to be part of a trade for value which is something I guess. The 2014 draft appears to be a bust after round 1 and that pick could crash as well. Back to Bjorkstrand. He was the 36th ranked North American skater on the final list in 2013. At the time he was picked at #89, everyone in the top 42 of that list was gone except him. You literally would have gotten him with the auto draft feature.
The more you research it, the more overrated I feel it is. Besides Hossa, the Blues draft picks that he gets credit for were three first rounders and a second rounder.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com

Not to crap on him or anything, but is it possible that he tipped Jarmo off during interviews? That would seem to explain a sudden shift in draft strategy. Either that or his knee but I think that's minor.

Obviously Jarmo could just have PLD as high or higher. But I'm curious. I want to know what it is/was that set him apart in Jarmo's eyes.
Sudden shift in draft strategy? Jarmo and the scouts had PLD pegged as their #3 prospect for a long time.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
The more you research it, the more overrated I feel it is. Besides Hossa, the Blues draft picks that he gets credit for were three first rounders and a second rounder.
Yeah, it's really unimpressive now that you mention it. Jarmo going with Petro over Schenn and Myers despite Petro being ranked lower really didn't work out for the Blues! Jake Allen in the 2nd round? What a poor pick. Lehtera in the 3rd? Awful!

And why would anyone pick David Perron 26th overall when he was undrafted the previous year? Clearly he'll never turn into anything substantial. Drafting Rundblad, trading the prospect for another pick in the same range, and drafting Tarasenko? He gives up on prospects too early! Overrated when it comes to gauging talent.

You can not deny Jarmo's drafting expertise. He might make poor trades or negotiate bad contracts, but he's a draft wizard.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Focusing on wrong part.

Just want to know if it's a possibility.

I was sort of wondering that after watching the video/seeing that quote. Could just be a young kid who isn't great at English, but it's possible. We may never know.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I was sort of wondering that after watching the video/seeing that quote. Could just be a young kid who isn't great at English, but it's possible. We may never know.
I wouldn't take the quote to mean anything. I think it's a poor translation / taken out of context.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Interesting thought - I did feel like JP looked fairly surprised when he wasn't called at 3, though.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

yay someone is with me.

The mains are almost unreal. I get the fact every oilers fan is excited about JP and how fortunate they are, but calling McDavid-Puljujarvi as the next Gretzky-Kurri is starting to become very annoying, and I really don't want to root against Puljujarvi, but I will if the ****ing fans don't stop.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad