2016 Draft Thread IV (June 24-25)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The only positive is Cleveland - and let's be honest they had so much talent for the playoffs because the CBJ were so bad that they sent a lot of help down.

I was nodding my head in agreement until this sentence. You make it sound like the CBJ sent down a bunch of NHLers to steal the cup. :shakehead

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Um that's not the expectation.
Expectation should be after 3 seasons to see the team playing better (not the Cleveland affiliate, not any other affiliate, but the CBJ).
You can use whatever metric you want to evaluate Jarmo but they went from challenging for the playoffs 2 years ago, to getting off to a slow start and strong finish the next season to being a miserable example of a NHL franchise that had to trade their best player mid-year because they couldn't get him to play hard.
Then throw in the fact all the bad contracts and that we are nearly against the cap.

So if you're evaluating Jarmo how can you rate him even average? The NHL team is worse, we're against the cap. The only positive is Cleveland - and let's be honest they had so much talent for the playoffs because the CBJ were so bad that they sent a lot of help down.

So again after a few seasons the goal isn't winning the cup but it was hopefully improvement, and right now it's not happening. Like every other year we can talk about all the prospects, that are coming next year or the year after. But after 15 seasons reality should sink in that most of those guys don't work out.

We were on a good trajectory with Howson and the mentor guiding him. Didn't the NHL suggest that mentor? You can argue if we're better or worse off. I'll say we've got some good talent on the farm but they can't play here because of the bad contracts and bad moves our FO has made. So while we're deeper the actual on ice CBJ product is not as good. Just my .02

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
We were on a good trajectory with Howson and the mentor guiding him. Didn't the NHL suggest that mentor? You can argue if we're better or worse off. I'll say we've got some good talent on the farm but they can't play here because of the bad contracts and bad moves our FO has made. So while we're deeper the actual on ice CBJ product is not as good. Just my .02

One short lived playoff appearance. Granted there have been no more since JD/JK arrived but most of the players now were here then and puhleeze don't tell me if we had a better 4th line we'd be in the playoffs.

I'm liking the future of this team. Dump a few bad contracts one way or the other, let the kids develop a bit and I think we are on to something. Maybe not next year but this team is headed in the right direction.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
One short lived playoff appearance. Granted there have been no more since JD/JK arrived but most of the players now were here then and puhleeze don't tell me if we had a better 4th line we'd be in the playoffs.

I'm liking the future of this team. Dump a few bad contracts one way or the other, let the kids develop a bit and I think we are on to something. Maybe not next year but this team is headed in the right direction.

I'm liking the potential team we can ice with guys like Borjkstrand, Anderson,Werenski, Kukan, Korpi. I just haven't seen us show we are going to be able to ice that team.

Started to go down the blame game road of which GM (Howson/Jarmo) are responsible for the current cap crisis. I'll just say this. If We can shed Clarkson (LTIR); and move along on Tytutin and Boll as well as bury Mclhinney in the minors I'd be feeling alot better about Jarmo's skills. This figures Hartnell goes away at the deadline and we lose Campbell by next year.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Same token, "liking the future" is probably the team's permanent slogan.

At some point, the team actually needs to prove it. Until then, I'm going to be a bit more pessimistic / jaded than most.

The Cleveland win is something to be excited about, but let's be a bit skeptical until it actually turns into something.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If you're absolutely insanely bored and want to watch the draft again, or missed some picks and would like to hear the insight from the Sportsnet anchors, someone posted the entire draft (yes, the entire draft. 1-7) on Youtube.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/nhl-draft-2016/report-cards/

Columbus Blue Jackets

Grade: A-

The Jackets only had five picks, but man, did team president John Davison and GM Jarmo Kekalainen make the most of them. We’ll go on the record (again) and say that Pierre-Luc Dubois (3rd) is the better prospect than Jesse Puljujarvi, even if it took a strong postseason to finally get the aforementioned Finn into our Top 3. It was a bold move, but a necessary one, as the struggling Jackets needed a mature, polished kid like Dubois over the one with a tad more flash but more question marks. Defenseman Andrew Peeke at 34??? Hello? Yours truly ranked him 39th in our Final 500 when most had him between the 70s-100s. He’s an exceptional defenseman for the transition game and we (obviously) think the Jackets made the right call. A lack of size shouldn’t be a concern for right wing Vitalli Abramov (65th), an electrifying talent in the mold of Cam Atkinson who was the QMJHL’s top rookie. Overage goalie Peter Thome (155th) is a big kid with quickness and a commitment to North Dakota, so chances are he would eventually becomes a sought-after free agent anyway. Taking Kelowna’s overage Swiss winger Calvin Thurkauf (185th) is a bit of a wild card, but he just turned 19 and plays the in-your-face game the Jackets like to employ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad