2016 Draft Thread – Host: Buffalo – Lottery: April 30th – Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
NHL central scouting has released their final ranking: http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=1&sort=finalRank&year=2016

North America:

Final Rank Midterm Rank Player Position Last Amateur Club League
1 7 Dubois, Pierre-Luc Left Wing Cape Breton QMJHL
2 1 Tkachuk, Matthew Left Wing London OHL
3 3 Nylander, Alexander Left Wing Mississauga OHL
4 2 Chychrun, Jakob Defenseman Sarnia OHL
5 5 Juolevi, Olli Defenseman London OHL
6 9 McAvoy, Charles Defenseman Boston University H-EAST
7 14 Brown, Logan Center Windsor OHL
8 10 Sergachev, Mikhail Defenseman Windsor OHL
9 8 Keller, Clayton Center USA U-18 USHL
10 12 Bellows, Kieffer Left Wing USA U-18 USHL

Europe:

1 1 Matthews, Auston Center Zurich SWISS
2 3 Laine, Patrik Right Wing Tappara FINLAND
3 2 Puljujarvi, Jesse Right Wing Karpat FINLAND
4 4 Asplund, Rasmus Center Farjestad SWEDEN
5 6 Rubtsov, German Center Team U18 RUSSIA-JR.
6 5 Grundstrom, Carl Right Wing Modo SWEDEN
7 7 Korshkov, Yegor Right Wing Yaroslavl RUSSIA
8 10 Hronek, Filip Defenseman HR. Kralove CZREP
9 11 Borgstrom, Henrik Center HIFK Jr. FINLAND-JR.
10 8 Lindstrom, Linus Center Skelleftea Jr. SWEDEN-JR.

Laine vs Puljujarvi Game 7 starts in 15 minutes.

Wow, McAvoy (NA, 6th) ahead of Sergachev (NA, 8th) and way ahead of Jake Bean (NA, 15th), too.

Is McAvoy really top-10 pick material? (Ignoring your BU bias, of course.)

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I just flipped through Central Scouting's final rankings for that last 5 or 6 years - they have a better track record than I remember. A few misses of course, but generally very solid compared to the actual draft.

I'm curious as to why they have Bean so low.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I just flipped through Central Scouting's final rankings for that last 5 or 6 years - they have a better track record than I remember. A few misses of course, but generally very solid compared to the actual draft.

Perhaps they realize he's riding Sanheim's coattails. :naughty:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Perhaps they realize he's riding Sanheim's coattails. :naughty:

By all accounts he played even better when Sanhaim was out but I'm sure there's worry that he's been protected this season by having a good partner. I know scouts are worried about his defensive play, but with the elite IQ, I don't see how those concerns aren't mitigated. Oh well, with pick #8/#9, he would be a reach anyway, even if he didn't slip.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Wow, McAvoy (NA, 6th) ahead of Sergachev (NA, 8th) and way ahead of Jake Bean (NA, 15th), too.

FWIW, at the beginning of the season I was told that McAvoy was way higher than the lists were showing.

MyersMagic57*

If we do not win the lottery, I feel like Juolevi is who will end up with, which seems like a good pick. He will fill needs eventually if not immediately. Thoughts?

Any way Chychrun falls to us at 8?

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario

I don't think there is much of an argument for him over Sergachev, but he definitely is in the running for the 4th best D in this draft (between him and Bean)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

My top four defenders are the same, just flip the latter two: Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev, McAvoy. McAvoy is physical, good outlets, RH, so I can see the appeal, more around 12-14 on my list. I don't like Bean, with or without Sanheim, as in my viewings he has never been good under pressure or much defensively and only consistently displayed that quality wrist shot. :dunno:

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
If we do not win the lottery, I feel like Juolevi is who will end up with, which seems like a good pick. He will fill needs eventually if not immediately. Thoughts?

Any way Chychrun falls to us at 8?

Never know with defensemen. Depending on the lotto results I could see TOR, EDM, WPG or ARZ going with d-men. Some might want forwards, others may like Juolevi over Chych, so it's possible. Fowler was ranked 5 and went 12th.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

He's easily the worst defender of the 1st round defensemen. If you draft him, it's about his offensive tools. I don't think those tools are good enough that you can project him as being a better offensive player than the other guys, who are all better defensively. I'd be interested with another pick, but not our own 1st where we're drafting.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Oh man, if that list pans out and Juolevi or Chyrchrun are there when we pick... wow, I'll never call us unlucky again.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Hey guys. Oiler fan coming in peace who lives near Buffalo.

I cant find anything online, but I want to go to the draft. It is something I've always wanted to do. Are they selling tickets for it?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Hey guys. Oiler fan coming in peace who lives near Buffalo.

I cant find anything online, but I want to go to the draft. It is something I've always wanted to do. Are they selling tickets for it?

Previous page Woodhouse has a post giving information.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Oh man, if that list pans out and Juolevi or Chyrchrun are there when we pick... wow, I'll never call us unlucky again.

The chances of Buffalo drafting 9th are only slightly less than the chances for 8th, so if this list pans out and Buffalo is picking 9th, we'd miss out on both., sadly.

MyersMagic57*

The chances of Buffalo drafting 9th are only slightly less than the chances for 8th, so if this list pans out and Buffalo is picking 9th, we'd miss out on both., sadly.

I'm hoping teams like Edmonton, Toronto, or Winnipeg land 2-or-3 and end up picking Laine or Puljarvo (or however you spell it), because the allure of their talent. Then I could see Calgary and Columbus going for forwards, which just leaves Arizona to pick one of the two and we can select whoever they don't!

Or we can win one of the lotteries and pick Puljijarvo (still can't spell) because that would be epic!

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Even if we drop down to 9th we are guaranteed one of Chychrun,Juolevi or Sergachev - I gotta think the Russian factor doesn't come into play if the Sabres scouts have him rated above Bean and McAvoy. Nylander could drop to 9th - his brother has not disappointed and many think Alex is a better player than Willy.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Even if we drop down to 9th we are guaranteed one of Chychrun,Juolevi or Sergachev - I gotta think the Russian factor doesn't come into play if the Sabres scouts have him rated above Bean and McAvoy. Nylander could drop to 9th - his brother has not disappointed and many think Alex is a better player than Willy.

Not exactly, they could all go before 9, its just that one of the top 6 forwards would drop to us in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille