2016 Draft Thread – Host: Buffalo – Lottery: April 30th – Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
So over the last couple years only 1-3 players really make the jump to the NHL for the full season. Who is that in this draft?

Matthews for sure.

Pulju and Laine? Any of the D?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is there an appropriate thread for that? I only ask because I feel that percolates a lot.

Roster thread is perfect for it. It's typically about the pick being dealt for players. That's roster talk if ever I've seen it... or the six or seven times I moved pages of it over to the roster threads. :laugh:

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Roster thread is perfect for it. It's typically about the pick being dealt for players. That's roster talk if ever I've seen it... or the six or seven times I moved pages of it over to the roster threads. :laugh:

Can we talk about draft picks acquired from trades (obviously covered in the roster thread)? :laugh::sarcasm:

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Buffalo needs a defenceman. Jakob Chychrun could be that guy. This draft is loaded with forwards. But our defense is in disarray outside of Risto, McCabe, Bogo and Mabye Pysyk. Franson and Gorges aren't long term answers. Chychrun is the answer to our left handed D. He has more potential than Zadorov

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
So over the last couple years only 1-3 players really make the jump to the NHL for the full season. Who is that in this draft?

Matthews for sure.

Pulju and Laine? Any of the D?

I don't think either of the Finns will be ready. They'd need a year in Rochester. Chychrun and Juolevi are probably two years out.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I don't think either of the Finns will be ready. They'd need a year in Rochester. Chychrun and Juolevi are probably two years out.

to me Juolevi has a higher ceiling, but Chychrun is much closer to be NHL ready.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I hope people realize that a Defenseman will probably take 3-5 years to develop into a good NHL player. It took Risto 3 years, and he's a significantly better prospect than any D in this draft.

At this point, I hope GMTM goes up there and drafts the best talent. And unless the Sabres go on a hot streak, or the lottery pushes them out of the top 7, I don't see a D being best available.

Give me any of AM, the Finns, Tkcachuk, Gauthier, Dubois, Nylander, McLeod over any D in the draft.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I hope people realize that a Defenseman will probably take 3-5 years to develop into a good NHL player. It took Risto 3 years, and he's a significantly better prospect than any D in this draft.

At this point, I hope GMTM goes up there and drafts the best talent. And unless the Sabres go on a hot streak, or the lottery pushes them out of the top 7, I don't see a D being best available.

Give me any of AM, the Finns, Tkcachuk, Gauthier, Dubois, Nylander, McLeod over any D in the draft.

You draft by need AND BPA. If theres a collection of guys you feel are close in ability/talent, then you take your need first with your pick. The important thing is to build a team. We have probably TWO holes in our top 4 on the left side. You need to fill those.

You can handle the defense much like you handled the Eichel/Reinhart situation, you bring in someone to either be a reliable stopgap until said player is ready or to help shelter them.

I understand Murray sped up the rebuild, but to me, he sped up the "core" rebuild. Now we can focus on getting those "fringe" core players like a Larsson, Girgs or Pysyk.

If Murray feels a defenseman is the right choice then so be it.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I think it's more likely Chychrun [edit: Laine] and Puljujarvi jump directly to the NHL. Both have two years of pro experience (though both got a lot of games in the second-tier Mestis rather than SM Liiga last season), are big kids, and play the least-demanding position to step into.

Last edited:

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
I think it's more likely Chychrun and Puljujarvi jump directly to the NHL. Both have two years of pro experience (though both got a lot of games in the second-tier Mestis rather than SM Liiga last season), are big kids, and play the least-demanding position to step into.

Laine? ;)

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think Chychrun might make the NHL next season. He's got an NHL body, skates really well, and has the skills and IQ to make the jump.

Joules has he skills and IQ, but needs some more time to develop physically.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Mike Morreale was on WGR yesterday and said the top 6 players could make the jump next year. He also said the difference between 8 and 28 was razor thin.

He seems to imply the top 6 that had a chance were Matthews, Laine, Pulju, Tkachuk, Chychrun, and Juolevi. He didn't say, but I presume that Nylander is 7. After that, there seems to be a major drop. He also said the drop could be at 10 depending who you are talking with.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Mike Morreale was on WGR yesterday and said the top 6 players could make the jump next year. He also said the difference between 8 and 28 was razor thin.

He seems to imply the top 6 that had a chance were Matthews, Laine, Pulju, Tkachuk, Chychrun, and Juolevi. He didn't say, but I presume that Nylander is 7. After that, there seems to be a major drop. He also said the drop could be at 10 depending who you are talking with.

Here's the interview for anyone who missed it:

2-24: MIKE MORREALE TALKS 2016 NHL DRAFT ON WGR (10:53)
@mikemorrealeNHL "The top six in this draft...I think you're getting a special player who could potentially play next year"

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think Chychrun might make the NHL next season. He's got an NHL body, skates really well, and has the skills and IQ to make the jump.

Joules has he skills and IQ, but needs some more time to develop physically.

While I think Juolevi *might have a more tantalizing ceiling, I agree Chychrun is ready.

Chychrun's "drop" is a Brian Blessing in Disguise... I've been trying not to get too excited about it.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
While I think Juolevi *might have a more tantalizing ceiling, I agree Chychrun is ready.

Chychrun's "drop" is a Brian Blessing in Disguise... I've been trying not to get too excited about it.

Yep. Him or Juolevi. I just want one. So, so bad.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I still want one of the Finns. Laine's natural finishing abilities will be huge so long as this league stays starved for goals, and JPJ is like a weird combination of Max and Marian Hossa that will be skating circles around dudes for years.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Chychrun's drop reminds me a little of Fowler's fall in his draft year. Just sayin'...

Maybe, but as a player, he reminds me of Ryan Murray. All the tools, but a little light on production, and too many mental lapses. I think JC's bust potential is very high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad