2016 Draft Thread – Host: Buffalo – Lottery: April 30th – Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Even if we drop down to 9th we are guaranteed one of Chychrun,Juolevi or Sergachev - I gotta think the Russian factor doesn't come into play if the Sabres scouts have him rated above Bean and McAvoy. Nylander could drop to 9th - his brother has not disappointed and many think Alex is a better player than Willy.

I haven't seen any report that Alex is better. And I think he's crazy overrated. I don't see any dynamic ability with him besides the occasional dangle and a decent shot. He's Tomas Jurco. If his last name wasn't Nylander, he wouldn't be in top 15 talk. Would rather draft McLeod, Gauthier or Keller in that range. Not worried though. I can't see GMTM using a premium asset to acquire a player who can't win board battles.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/636536?referrer_id=695820

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – USA Hockey announced today that NHL Network will carry all U.S. games at the 2016 International Ice Hockey Federation U18 Men's World Championship that begins tomorrow (April 14) in Grand Forks, North Dakota.

The tournament, which runs through April 24, features 10 nations. Team USA, which has earned gold in six of the last seven world championships (2009, 20010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015), opens play against rival Russia tomorrow (April 14) and the game will be aired same-day delayed following NHL playoff coverage at 11:00 p.m. ET.

DATE OPPONENT ROUND TIME (LOCAL/ET) STATUS
Thurs., April 14 Russia Preliminary 7:30 p.m./8:30 p.m. Delay (approx. 11 p.m. ET)
Sat., April 16 Sweden Preliminary 3:30 p.m./4:30 p.m. Live
Sun., April 17 Latvia Preliminary 3 p.m./4 p.m. Live
Tue., April 19 Switzerland Preliniary 7:30 p.m./8:30 p.m. Delay (approx. 11 p.m. ET)
Thurs., April 21 TBD* Quarterfinal 7:30 p.m./8:30 p.m. Delay (approx. 11 p.m. ET)
Sat., April 23 TBD* Semifinal 3 p.m./4 p.m. Live
Sun. April 24 TBD* Bronze Medal 3 p.m./4 p.m. Live
TBD* Gold Medal 7 p.m./8 p.m. Live
* will air only if Team USA in the game
** NHL Network programming subject to change

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
As long is we stay in 8th it's great. We either get one of the big three defenceman, or one of the big five forwards. It's a no lose scenario. The is a year where I would say the value of player between 4 and 10 is basically the same, the player picked 10 may be just as good as the one picked 4.

Last edited:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I feel like Nylander is a safe bet to be a 20 goal, 50 point winger. Everyone wants to hit a home run in the top 10, but if he hits those numbers, that's a pretty good player.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I feel like Nylander is a safe bet to be a 20 goal, 50 point winger. Everyone wants to hit a home run in the top 10, but if he hits those numbers, that's a pretty good player.

If he puts up those points thats a home run for me. Another 20 goal scorer on this team is huge. Baring he doesn't have a negative impact on our other players.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If he puts up those points thats a home run for me. Another 20 goal scorer on this team is huge. Baring he doesn't have a negative impact on our other players.

not with me....I would expect the wingers to get 20g/45 pts playing as wingers tih Eichel or Reinhart.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
not with me....I would expect the wingers to get 20g/45 pts playing as wingers tih Eichel or Reinhart.

For real. With the centers we have, I have zero interest in a top ten pick on a winger who gets slightly above replacement level production.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

For real. With the centers we have, I have zero interest in a top ten pick on a winger who gets slightly above replacement level production.

We had two players exceed those totals this year, Eichel and ROR. I don't mind setting the bar high, but calling it replacement level is pretty hilarious.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Nylander had 75 points in 57 games in his rookie ohl year and has 6g 6a in 6 playoff games. He was a scorer with a Swedish junior team. I would think with his scoring touch he could fit in with our centres. Not to say there may not be other picks that might fit better but he is not chopped liver.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
We had two players exceed those totals this year, Eichel and ROR. I don't mind setting the bar high, but calling it replacement level is pretty hilarious.

Reinhart was there.
Kane would've been damn close if he had played a full season.

Would be interesting to see how many points Eichel and ROR's wingers accumulated over the whole season. In other words, had their wingers been one person all season, what would that player's stats look like.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Reinhart was there.
Kane would've been damn close if he had played a full season.

Would be interesting to see how many points Eichel and ROR's wingers accumulated over the whole season. In other words, had their wingers been one person all season, what would that player's stats look like.

Somehow "lock for 50 points" turned into 45, and now 41 the points that Reinhart put up apparently meets that criteria. :laugh:

While scoring 50 points doesn't exactly make you a world beater, it does make you a pretty darn good top 6 forward. You could do A LOT worse. How often do players stick on the same line all season? Things need to be going perfectly for that to happen, or you need to have a dynamic group that is dominating. It's a rare thing. Again, calling it replacement level is a joke.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Please. Reinhart was low on assists.
And kane was short on assists. You are being arbitrary.

What you have is 3 forwards on the roster who are studs, two of which are rookies. You have another in kane who fits your goal requirement.

Not to mention your hero ennis, coming back after a full summer to train from what it sounds like.

On top of that you have multiple closer to pro prospects that look very promising, Fasching, Bailey, Rodriguez, Baptiste, etc.

Finally, wingers that score 20 goals and similar assist totals are regularly available. You can get them in free agency. You can get them cheaply in trades. That's why I call that player close to replacement, because they are easily found and replaced.

So this team desperately needs d help, short term and long term. They don't need a wing long term, and short term Nylander is not on this team for 2 years at least.

So ya its laughable.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Finally, wingers that score 20 goals and similar assist totals are regularly available. You can get them in free agency. You can get them cheaply in trades. That's why I call that player close to replacement, because they are easily found and replaced.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but "replacement level" is a term which has a specific meaning and, well, it's not that.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Agreed. I look at the history of #8 picks and all of the sudden your prediction of 20g/50p not only looks reasonable, but maybe even on the optimistic side.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Somehow "lock for 50 points" turned into 45, and now 41 the points that Reinhart put up apparently meets that criteria. :laugh:

While scoring 50 points doesn't exactly make you a world beater, it does make you a pretty darn good top 6 forward. You could do A LOT worse. How often do players stick on the same line all season? Things need to be going perfectly for that to happen, or you need to have a dynamic group that is dominating. It's a rare thing. Again, calling it replacement level is a joke.

Exactly. People must be forgetting that 2013 was an insane draft, talent-wise...a true anomaly. Anyone expecting to land another Risto-level player are setting themselves up for disappointment. As Murray said, these are likely not "impact" players, but instead "good" players. 50 points is "good."

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The whole discussion is splitting hairs, anyway. Nylander projects to be a very good offensive player. My issue with him is what he will do other than put up points. And if he's not doing much else, is 40 - or 50 or whatever other number you want to use that's not PPG - enough.

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
Shocked at seeing this hatre for Nylander.

20 goals is not easily "replaceable." Fact is, if you want to get a 20 goal scorer (not as a rental) it's going to cost you good assets. I think Nylander has the ability to be a 60 point player once he settles in after a few NHL seasons. He'd 100% be a part of the future "core."

I actually have Nylander ranked 4th on my list:

1. Matthews
2. Puljujarvi
3. Laine
4. Nylander
5. Chychrun
6. Tkachuk
7. Dubois
8. Juolevi
9. Bean
10. McLeod

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The whole discussion is splitting hairs, anyway. Nylander projects to be a very good offensive player. My issue with him is what he will do other than put up points. And if he's not doing much else, is 40 - or 50 or whatever other number you want to use that's not PPG - enough.

My issue with your issue is - why do you expect such a high-quality, complete player at pick #8 or #9? History says you'll get a guy with plenty of warts, be it on the defensive side of things, effort, offensive skill...you're expectations might be too high.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Dan Marr was on Leafs Lunch today and discussed his top 6, which he had previously mentioned were all very good players with a shot at playing in the NHL next year. They were

Matthews
Laine
Pulju
Dubois
Tkachuk
Nylander

4-6 he called interchangeable. Then there was a drop to the next group. No defensemen in that top grouping.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Dan Marr was on Leafs Lunch today and discussed his top 6, which he had previously mentioned were all very good players with a shot at playing in the NHL next year. They were

Matthews
Laine
Pulju
Dubois
Tkachuk
Nylander

4-6 he called interchangeable. Then there was a drop to the next group. No defensemen in that top grouping.

First person I've ever heard say that Nylander has a shot at playing in the NHL next year. I don't agree with him.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The Hockey News' prospect 'expert' Ryan Kennedy put out his second to last rankings - Chychrun at 10th overall

I love Sergachev, absolutely perfect for us.

9. Mikhail Sergachev – Windsor (OHL): Scouts and GMs love this kid. Sergachev has size, skill, skating and instincts. Plus, he is believed to be one of the most NHL-ready players in the class, too.
10. Jakob Chychrun – Sarnia (OHL): Some team is gonna get a very good D-man in Chychrun. Juolevi and Sergachev have stolen his thunder, but the Sarnia product is still a great skater with size and skill.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/2016-draft-rankings-getting-down-to-crunch-time/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad