2016 Draft Thread – Host: Buffalo – Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I've watched almost all of Tkachuk's games this year. I can see the question marks surrounding him, but I still think he's worthy of a top 5 pick. His patience, vision with the puck, passing and overall toughness is an impressive skillset.When separated from Marner and Dvo (mind you, this was for all of a couple of games) he didn't produce as much. It does raise the question if he can drive the offense himself.

But is he good at playing with other good players? Hell yeah. There's a reason USA put him with Matthews, and Hunter put him with Marner. He's a great complimentary player.

I think he *could* be an awesome winger for Eichel. I would take him at 5.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I've watched almost all of Tkachuk's games this year. I can see the question marks surrounding him, but I still think he's worthy of a top 5 pick. His patience, vision with the puck, passing and overall toughness is an impressive skillset.When separated from Marner and Dvo (mind you, this was for all of a couple of games) he didn't produce as much. It does raise the question if he can drive the offense himself.

But is he good at playing with other good players? Hell yeah. There's a reason USA put him with Matthews, and Hunter put him with Marner. He's a great complimentary player.

I think he *could* be an awesome winger for Eichel. I would take him at 5.
The problem is that he's a complimentary player even at the CHL level. You expect most top 5 draft eligible players to push offense themselves at the CHL level even if you envision them as something different at the NHL level.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The problem is that he's a complimentary player even at the CHL level. You expect most top 5 draft eligible players to push offense themselves at the CHL level even if you envision them as something different at the NHL level.

I sort of agree...

There's a reason why someone like Bakes (whose opinion i value) see sooo much in Tkachuk. He's a really professional looking player. By that I mean, he plays the game in a way that translates very easily to the next level. He's very complete, and plays the game in a professional/working way. It's not CHL flash, individual dominance, highlight reel hockey. It's pro hockey.

He can jump right in to the NHL and play on a top 6 line IMO.

He's the safe pick. The sure thing. The low floor. Toronto is probably drooling over Tkachuk if they dont win the lottery for Matthews.

From a Buffalo perspective. I want him to go before our pick, because I am a needs based guy (LD), so I want Chychrun, Juolevi.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I sort of agree...

There's a reason why someone like Bakes (whose opinion i value) see sooo much in Tkachuk. He's a really professional looking player. By that I mean, he plays the game in a way that translates very easily to the next level. He's very complete, and plays the game in a professional/working way. It's not CHL flash, individual dominance, highlight reel hockey. It's pro hockey.

He can jump right in to the NHL and play on a top 6 line IMO.

He's the safe pick. The sure thing. The low floor. Toronto is probably drooling over Tkachuk if they dont win the lottery for Matthews.

From a Buffalo perspective. I want him to go before our pick, because I am a needs based guy (LD), so I want Chychrun, Juolevi.

Sounds like he's basically a slightly better version of Crouse, based on everyone's observations. Baker loved Crouse too, if memory serves. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to grab a guy who can play next year, but I have a one-track mind at the moment (LHD) and have a hard time giving a **** about perfecting the rest of the line up before that gaping hole is filled.

If buffalo is in the top 7, there's basically no way we don't get one of Chychrun, Juolevi, so I don't see Tkachuk as much of a possibility for Buffalo anyway.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
We're winning the lottery this year and either drafting #1 overall or shipping the pick for a huge return. None of this top seven nonsense, the universe owes us and it's time to cash that check.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Does Matthews play wing at all, or is he pretty strictly a center? I know that all centers play wing occasionally, but I'm wondering if he fills a need for us or if he would pretty much make it necessary to trade Reinhart.

It would be awfully nice to have the best forwards from each of the last three drafts in our top six for the next decade.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Does Matthews play wing at all, or is he pretty strictly a center? I know that all centers play wing occasionally, but I'm wondering if he fills a need for us or if he would pretty much make it necessary to trade Reinhart.

It would be awfully nice to have the best forwards from each of the last three drafts in our top six for the next decade.

...said all Edmonton fans in 2012

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
I kind of want to see EDM win the lottery again, and then finish bottom 3 next year again. Everyone would give up.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Am I the only one who lusts after the #1 pick just because I want to trade it? The ransom we could get, as a team that doesn't need a #1 center, makes me just giddy.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Am I the only one who lusts after the #1 pick just because I want to trade it? The ransom we could get, as a team that doesn't need a #1 center, makes me just giddy.

I don't know about giddy, but I'm with you on the trade route. The #1 should be worth a top-pairing LHD that's about to get paid coming off his ELC, but if a trade like that doesn't present itself then I wouldn't be as excited about trading the pick.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I doubt the Yotes are trading OEL, even for the right to take Matthews.

Just look at the "would you trade Risto for the 1OV pick?" poll here.

And OEL > Risto.

Yes, but that was when we were sitting #2 with Eichel staring us in the face. The answer was that the difference between Eichel and McDavid wasn't worth Risto. Taking Eichel out of the mix and you'd see a different result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad