2016 Draft Thread – Host: Buffalo – Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
So more about getting up 10-12 spots? I haven't spent much time watching him, but my eye is drawn to him when he's on the ice -- very smooth out there. Onto Clague with the Brandon-PA game. :laugh:

He's a real talent. I've only seen so much, but what I've seen convinced me of that. If you add Jake Bean to Guhle, suddenly things are looking up on the left side prospect-wise. Should the 1st go towards a forward, Bean would be the most obvious guy for me to try and get. If we move McGinn for a 2nd, for example, we have the ammunition to at least make that realistic.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
How does the goaltender crop look this year? I could see Murray grabbing one in the 2nd or 3rd rounds to add to the pool.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
How does the goaltender crop look this year? I could see Murray grabbing one in the 2nd or 3rd rounds to add to the pool.

I wouldnt count on it. Murray said he likes taking a goalie every year so I imagine he will again this year, but I'd have to imagine it will be a late round pick. Our current group is very solid and guys like Peterson and Ullmark have made huge strides. I'd bet he'll wanna load up on D again this year in the early rounds, especially if we're lined up to take a forward in a lottery spot.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wouldnt count on it. Murray said he likes taking a goalie every year so I imagine he will again this year, but I'd have to imagine it will be a late round pick. Our current group is very solid and guys like Peterson and Ullmark have made huge strides. Id imagine he'll wanna load up on D again this year in the early rounds, especially if we're lined up to take a forward in a lottery spot.

Do he have to load up on D specifically? They have a solid mix of prospects with Guhle, Martin, Stephens, and Chukarov on LD and Borgen, Florentino at RD with Ristolainen, Pysyk, McCabe, even Bogosian if looking at D-men under 24 on the roster. With the long maturation process typically for blueliners, what they need is improvement to the big club now rather than later while continuing to backfill the depth.

What I'm trying to say is that they don't need to focus on it at the expense of other things -- they still need dynamic speed and natural scoring ability (both preferably with size) in their prospect stable just as much as defensive help.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Oh man, Cliff Ronning's son just scored a highlight reel goal in OT... and it gets waved off as offside. Tyler Benson... I wish he was anywhere but with the Giants. He's another one in that 20-30 range on a bunch of lists with the sort of offensive chops who could be interesting if he slips a touch. Laberge too.

I know, I know, I'm setting myself up for that "20-30 list of anguish" as the players who I find interesting all go before the Sabres get back to the podium. :biglaugh:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I wouldnt count on it. Murray said he likes taking a goalie every year so I imagine he will again this year, but I'd have to imagine it will be a late round pick. Our current group is very solid and guys like Peterson and Ullmark have made huge strides. I'd bet he'll wanna load up on D again this year in the early rounds, especially if we're lined up to take a forward in a lottery spot.

We do have an extra 3rd, so spending a 3rd on a goalie might be realistic but, yeah, we should be looking at the late rounds. We have a young Lehner and two strong goaltending prospects (Ullmark, Petersen), plus another two viables in Kasdorf and Johanssen. No need to go big there. Trust in your Euro scouting, pluck someone from the 5th round.

They need to draft forward as much as D though, if you look at the pool. We have pro-stage forward prospects like Baptiste, Bailey, and Carrier, but at the amateur level we probably look better at defense. Both need to be addressed. The holes at D are more of an NHL-level/high-end thing, which you can only really directly address at the draft with a high pick.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Do he have to load up on D specifically? They have a solid mix of prospects with Guhle, Martin, Stephens, and Chukarov on LD and Borgen, Florentino at RD with Ristolainen, Pysyk, McCabe, even Bogosian if looking at D-men under 24 on the roster. With the long maturation process typically for blueliners, what they need is improvement to the big club now rather than later while continuing to backfill the depth.

What I'm trying to say is that they don't need to focus on it at the expense of other things -- they still need dynamic speed and natural scoring ability (both preferably with size) in their prospect stable just as much as defensive help.

Obviously they won't make all the picks. That said, not taking best players into consideration, I would hope they go D early then use the later rounds to draft some lottery balls (mostly on offense, though some boom/bust offensive dmen guys works too). Our defensive prospect pool, I agree, is actually fairly deep, it just lacks high end.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Obviously they won't make all the picks. That said, not taking best players into consideration, I would hope they go D early then use the later rounds to draft some lottery balls (mostly on offense, though some boom/bust offensive dmen guys works too). Our defensive prospect pool, I agree, is actually fairly deep, it just lacks high end.

It probably comes down to the first pick, where they are selecting and how that looks. Pax put it well -- the near-term prospects (Bailey/Baptiste/Carrier/Fasching) look a lot deeper than the longer-term guys (Estephan, Olofsson).

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Who's the flashiest, most enigmatic player that's likely to be in our pick range?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It probably comes down to the first pick, where they are selecting and how that looks. Pax put it well -- the near-term prospects (Bailey/Baptiste/Carrier/Fasching) look a lot deeper than the longer-term guys (Estephan, Olofsson).

Well, the forward crop is pretty deep all throughout with your Hurley, Malone, et. al. coming through the ranks. The problem is not many with any sort of a chance at going 'boom,' IMO. I'd be perfectly content with using several of our picks this year on long shots, just hoping one of them makes it big.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well, the forward crop is pretty deep all throughout with your Hurley, Malone, et. al. coming through the ranks. The problem is not many with any sort of a chance at going 'boom,' IMO. I'd be perfectly content with using several of our picks this year on long shots, just hoping one of them makes it big.

Agreed. There is everything right with going for the boom-bust types, especially if they still have all of those 3rds plus whatever else they land from deadline deals. Just finding one home run in there would be excellent. Safe... they did that for nearly 20 years under Luce in later rounds and it rarely landed them anything dynamic. I want dynamic.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Seeing how the lottery pans out will be interesting as that will set the tone for the rest of the draft. I can see if they grab one of the big forwards with their first pick that they'll look towards defense again ala last year. Krys, and Day are interesting potentials in the late 1st to early / mid 2nd range as I think Bean will be gone in the top 15.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
With likely 1 1st, 2x 2nd's, and 3x 3rd's post deadline (projecting a 2nd for McGinn), Buffalo's gonna have alot of ammo to try to either move up in the tail end of the 1st or from the end of the 2nd (the pick will get for McGinn) to the middle of the 2nd.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
With likely 1 1st, 2x 2nd's, and 3x 3rd's post deadline (projecting a 2nd for McGinn), Buffalo's gonna have alot of ammo to try to either move up in the tail end of the 1st or from the end of the 2nd (the pick will get for McGinn) to the middle of the 2nd.

I wonder how high up they could get. Would love to add two quality players instead of 4 middle round players. I'd love a dream NHL 16 scenario where they trade up three times, giving a minor piece each time until they're top 15 :laugh:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I wonder how high up they could get. Would love to add two quality players instead of 4 middle round players. I'd love a dream NHL 16 scenario where they trade up three times, giving a minor piece each time until they're top 15 :laugh:

Trade our 3rd+ dallas's 3rd to get a 3rd 2nd round pick.

Trade our 2nd+ newly acquired 2nd for a late 1st. (24-28)

Trade late 1st + the 2nd from McGinn deal for 20-22.

Not sure we could hit the top 15 :laugh:

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
How about Markus Niemeläinen? From what I hear he is another very promising (and big) Finnish defenseman. If we don't take a shot at Juolevi in the first round, I think I'd want me some Niemeläinen in the second. If he lasts that far.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Nylander will likely go top 6. I dont expect DeBrincat to go top 20

That was my thought -- he may be there at 31-34.

When Marcus PHD said our pick, I was assuming the Sabres 1st.

I think Nylander is that guy in the 1st and DeBrincat could be that guy in the 2nd. Although, he seems to be a guy that Detroit or Toronto could look at in the mid to late 1st, as well.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
How about Markus Niemeläinen? From what I hear he is another very promising (and big) Finnish defenseman. If we don't take a shot at Juolevi in the first round, I think I'd want me some Niemeläinen in the second. If he lasts that far.
There's a lack of quality defensemen in the latter half of the first round. I don't imagine he will last to the 2nd.

When Marcus PHD said our pick, I was assuming the Sabres 1st.

I think Nylander is that guy in the 1st and DeBrincat could be that guy in the 2nd. Although, he seems to be a guy that Detroit or Toronto could look at in the mid to late 1st, as well.

I really don't see DeBrincat falling to the 2nd, either. A playoff team in the 18-25 range is gonna take a flyer on the kid. His offensive skills are great, and I think to someone with a deep or at least deepish prospect pool, it's worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad