Prospect Info: 2016 Draft/ Lottery/ Prospect Discussion Thread (Lottery April 30th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
What are Oilers fans expecting against the Canucks 2x and Calgary?

Kind of ridiculous that you only have 3 games in the next 11 days to finish the season.

We are expecting you to at best have a 13.5% chance of keeping your user name as we have 30th in the bag. We also expect McDavid to have at least 5 points. Keep your head up though because I've heard that sometimes you can get generational players with lower odds in the lottery.:)

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
We are expecting you to at best have a 13.5% chance of keeping your user name as we have 30th in the bag. We also expect McDavid to have at least 5 points. Keep your head up though because I've heard that sometimes you can get generational players with lower odds in the lottery.:)

And by waiting 10-20 years for the next one to come along :P

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Anyone else see the the Dubois OT game winner tonight? My god what a snipe. He has an impressive shot. If you go to the Dubois thread on the prospect board I guarantee someone has a gif or video of it up.

Edit: Yup it's there, very nice goal!

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I like Dubois a lot, but there is no way I'd take him over the Finns. Mostly because they are right handed and project to be better offensive players. Laine is arguably the best fit for us despite the potential to get Matthews.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I like Dubois a lot, but there is no way I'd take him over the Finns. Mostly because they are right handed and project to be better offensive players. Laine is arguably the best fit for us despite the potential to get Matthews.

yeah, laine is actually who i am hoping the most for, even over matthews to be honest

not because laine is the better player, but because it likely sets off a string of trades that make more sense for the oilers .... precisely trading eberle, rather than trading RNH

hall-RNH-drai
maroon-mcdavid-laine
pouliot-<UFA/trade from yakupov>-kassian
hendricks-letestu-lander

klefbom-<trade from eberle, maybe hamonic>
sekera-<UFA signing, maybe demers>
davidson-fayne
gryba

(nurse in the minors)

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
this reminds me of last year when we were all talking about hanafin or strome or marner how do we choose ugh all 3 so good...........nvm we'll take mcdavid please

just like i believe the oilers suck until they show me otherwise........i believe in the draft lottery until i have a reason not to

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I'm honestly fine picking wherever, don't care if we win (other than to see Jeff O'Neil's head explode), worst we pick is 4th and Dubois or Chychrun seem like good prospects. Or better yet we hit a home run and deal the pick for a good top pairing D.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm honestly fine picking wherever, don't care if we win (other than to see Jeff O'Neil's head explode), worst we pick is 4th and Dubois or Chychrun seem like good prospects. Or better yet we hit a home run and deal the pick for a good top pairing D.

Theres still a very good chance we finish 28th, (vancouver and toronto) and it isn't impossible that we finish ahead of Columbus/Winnipeg either.

Pick could still be as low as 8.

I want the #1 pick for two reasons.

1) Best possible asset to trade, or build around and make other assets (Draisaitl?) available.

2) I'll be glued to HF for the week after laughing my *** off at the rage.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Theres still a very good chance we finish 28th, (vancouver and toronto) and it isn't impossible that we finish ahead of Columbus/Winnipeg either.

1) Best possible asset to trade, or build around and make other assets (Draisaitl?) available.

I'm confident we'll finish either 29th(Van) or 30th.

Calgary game could go either way but I suspect we lose.

Vancouver is a tire fire and can't seem to win anything. Wouldn't be surprised if we won both but also wouldn't be surprised if the 'Nucks managed to get up for one game against us.

All the teams have 3 games in hand on the Oil so really they just need to win 2 of 6 and they'd be ahead of us (or behind if you desire)..

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

cant wait

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Oilers sit last with 67 points and 3 games at hand to Vancouver and Toronto. Even if Oilers go 3-0 last 3 games there is a very good chance we are last place. Although Vancouver is 1-8 recently. An overtime win against them would be ideal

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Oilers sit last with 67 points and 3 games at hand to Vancouver and Toronto. Even if Oilers go 3-0 last 3 games there is a very good chance we are last place. Although Vancouver is 1-8 recently. An overtime win against them would be ideal

If we go 3-0... Vancouver has to go 3-0-1 in their other 4 games that aren't against us (unless they get some oT points against us).

Still, I expect we will sweep Vancouver and they will finish dead last.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm no prospect junkie and only saw Laine in the World Jr's, but from the sounds of it Dubois would certainly be a better fit in the bottom 6. The fact he is a center allows for more roster flexibility too. While the Finns are also big, and Laine lays the body quite regularly, I think Dubois has that "it" factor that Chiarelli was talking about before the draft last year. Different leagues, but Puljujarvi's 22 PIM's and Laine's 6 compared to Dubois' 112 lead me to believe neither Finn would be suited for a bottom 6 role in the NHL. The Oilers should know by now what happens when you try to put a top end talent without the intangibles needed to succeed in that position. He has more battle and intensity IMO, and intangibles like that are what the Oilers need, not that I would pass on Laine if he was on the board. I would consider drafting him at 3 ahead of Puljujarvi though.

TO be honest I think all three would be great players and right now I have my personal choice as Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi and Dubois though I have not followed this nearly as closely as in past years. I also like the flexibility of Dubois but as you have already mentioned I hope that none of these guys would be asked to play a traditional third line role. And if the Oilers don't move Nuge the possibility of three rather balanced lines could certainly be in play.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

70 points at the end. 1-1-1

So that's 1 win for Winnipeg. 2 wins for Vancouver, Columbus and Toronto. They all have 6 games left.

We got DFL written all over us.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
A line of Pouliot-RNH-Dubios is perfect to me. Size, speed, versatility and two way play. Thatd be a tremendous 3rd line

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Eberle for Trouba
Then Fayne and crap for Hamonic would be hilarious.

Klefbom-Hamonic
Sekera-Trouba
Nurse-Davidson

You can leave hamonic unprotected since he is winnipeg bound at some point.

McDeathbyCheerios*

If we keep our 2nd i wouldnt mind taking Taylor Raddysh. 6'2" 203lbs 18 g 46p

Or the little Alex Debrincat. Kid is almost a ppg. He is a little small but if he oozes skill, was great with McDavid and the kid plays like a rat.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If we keep our 2nd i wouldnt mind taking Taylor Raddysh. 6'2" 203lbs 18 g 46p

Or the little Alex Debrincat. Kid is almost a ppg. He is a little small but if he oozes skill, was great with McDavid and the kid plays like a rat.

51 goals in 60 games. Right shooting too

I know people wont want to here this as we are dangling Yakupov and Eberle as trade bait. But in 2 years we may really need the scoring. Look at our forward prospects, all bigger 2 way guys who dont score much.

With our top 6 in 2 years too, we could very much need the skill and scoring regardless of size. Next Gaudreau?

McDeathbyCheerios*

51 goals in 60 games. Right shooting too

I know people wont want to here this as we are dangling Yakupov and Eberle as trade bait. But in 2 years we may really need the scoring. Look at our forward prospects, all bigger 2 way guys who dont score much.

With our top 6 in 2 years too, we could very much need the skill and scoring regardless of size. Next Gaudreau?
I meant almost a gpg too. The guy is pretty small sadly but he could be a guy who grows a little bit later in life. Put him with the right line mates i don't think you have a huge problem. Kid got suspended at world juniors for a dirty play if i remember right so he is clearly not shy or scared of physicality.

Even if he ends up being a 4th line guy 5v5 but is used a ton on the pp he could be a great addition of he falls.

Also has experience at center.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I meant almost a gpg too. The guy is pretty small sadly but he could be a guy who grows a little bit later in life. Put him with the right line mates i don't think you have a huge problem. Kid got suspended at world juniors for a dirty play if i remember right so he is clearly not shy or scared of physicality.

Even if he ends up being a 4th line guy 5v5 but is used a ton on the pp he could be a great addition of he falls.

Also has experience at center.
I agree, although I think he's a boom/bust top-six player given his skillset.

When it comes to NHL wingers, as long as your legs are tree trunks, your balance is solid, and you're able to come away with the puck along the boards, it doesn't matter how tall you are. You don't have to worry about having an active stick or blocking passing lanes the same way a defenceman would. Having a short stick can even be an asset in tight around the net.

DeBrincat may be 5'7", but he's around 160 lbs. If he gets up to a functional 170, he'd be fine just as MSL, Gaudreau, Gerbe and others have been. He may add an inch or two by the time he's 23, but that's not even necessary for him. If we can pick up DeBrincat in the second round, I'd be pretty happy with that given our forward prospect depth.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't think Debrincat is going to last to the second round, I bet he goes top 20. Just scores too many goals to look over.

The Oilers absolutely should take him if he's there though.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I don't think Debrincat is going to last to the second round, I bet he goes top 20. Just scores too many goals to look over.

The Oilers absolutely should take him if he's there though.
He will go between 28-32 honestly. He is ranked around 30 mostly due to size. If the kid was 6' tall you could argue he would be top 3

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
With a smart trade, a good FA signing and a 2016 1st we could have it. Gone are Eberle + Yak. In are Eriksson (Chia connection), Nichuskin, Dubios

Maroon-McDavid-Eriksson
Hall-Drasaitl-Kassian
Nichuskin-RNH-Dubios

And omg that size lol. One of the bigger teams in the NHL

Wow, I like what you have here. What do you have for D now?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Luke Kunin seems like an interesting potential early 2nd rounder.

6'0'' 200lbs right-handed center.

He was the captain of the u18 USNTDP last season and was a near point-per-game(19g, 13a in 34 games) player at Wisconsin this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad