Prospect Info: 2016 Draft/ Lottery/ Prospect Discussion Thread (Lottery April 30th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Laine is soo ideal for this team. McDavid-Laine duo would be filthy. I hope for the 2nd overall.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Eh, MacKinnon is 20 years old, bit early to call him a letdown. He came in and had a fantastic rookie season being extremely young (was 15 days away from being drafted the following year). After that he had a sophomore slump as most guys do. Didn't help Stastny walked either as MacK, him and Landeskog had terrific chemistry. Overall Avs have just been a bad team so I don't know how you can draw any real conclusions on MacK yet. 21 goals and 52 points this year in 72 games isn't exactly bad either, even though I expect him to outproduce that in the coming years.

Huberdeau is 22 and has just put up 2 straight good seasons and he wasn't even that hyped, it was just a weak draft year. He, too, have played on a bad team and I think it was expected that he would have some difficulty translating his game to the NHL game, but I'd say he's right on track. In fact I'd say he has positively surprised me because I really didn't have that high expectations on him but he's having a pretty good season this year.

Ehlers is technically still a junior but have had a respectable rookie campaign and should only get better. Drouin obviously isn't where most people thought he'd be at this point but it's certainly not due to lack of talent. Rather it's due to a bad attitude and, well, the fact that Tampa is pretty stacked up front. It's been really hard for him to get quality minutes. Still, he's 21 years old and he's got plenty of time to prove himself to be a very productive forward in the NHL.

So really, you can't say the Q is weak or that you don't trust players drafted from the Q based off of any of these players.

I dont think the Q is weak, I just think the style of play amplifies skill players. I just dont expect well pick Dubios and in 2 years have expectations blown away

Although if people that actually watch the prospects are pro Dubios, I am too. The more I watch him the more id pick him

PWF
Smart
good skater
can play all 3 positions
two way

Checks all the boxs for me

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I dont think the Q is weak, I just think the style of play amplifies skill players. I just dont expect well pick Dubios and in 2 years have expectations blown away

Although if people that actually watch the prospects are pro Dubios, I am too. The more I watch him the more id pick him

PWF
Smart
good skater
can play all 3 positions
two way

Checks all the boxs for me

I'm still looking to trade the pick....but if it came down to it..Dubois is 2nd on my list behind Laine.

(Matthews is a given....technically I dont have a "list")

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm still looking to trade the pick....but if it came down to it..Dubois is 2nd on my list behind Laine.

(Matthews is a given....technically I dont have a "list")

Id be ok with trading it too if it came to it. Although if Dubios was NHL ready next year thatd intrigue me.

How does Dubios compare to Landeskog? similar type players? Dubios has 99 points in his draft year which is amazing (Landeskog has 66 in 53 games). Both seem to play that versatile PWF game

Landeskog then went on to put up 52 points in his rookie season

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Id be ok with trading it too if it came to it. Although if Dubios was NHL ready next year thatd intrigue me.

How does Dubios compare to Landeskog? similar type players? Dubios has 99 points in his draft year which is amazing (Landeskog has 66 in 53 games). Both seem to play that versatile PWF game

Landeskog then went on to put up 52 points in his rookie season

The fact Dubois is 6'3" and over 200 lbs already would suggest he could step into a 3rd line role on the wing right away. He is better suited for that role than the Finns or Matthews and would bring more of what the Oilers need in the defensive zone. Dubois having more PIMS than points is also a nice stat on a team starving for two way forwards with intangibles like the Oilers. If the plan is to move RNH for a defenseman I think he's the pick in the 3-5 range.

As sexy of a pick Laine is, I think Dubois is the guy who would help more, although if picking 2nd it would be hard for Chia to justify passing on Laine.

Next year a 3rd line of Dubois Sobotka/Nielssen Kassian would be just fine in my books.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The fact Dubois is 6'3" and over 200 lbs already would suggest he could step into a 3rd line role on the wing right away. He is better suited for that role than the Finns or Matthews and would bring more of what the Oilers need in the defensive zone. Dubois having more PIMS than points is also a nice stat on a team starving for two way forwards with intangibles like the Oilers. If the plan is to move RNH for a defenseman I think he's the pick in the 3-5 range.

As sexy of a pick Laine is, I think Dubois is the guy who would help more, although if picking 2nd it would be hard for Chia to justify passing on Laine.

Next year a 3rd line of Dubois Sobotka/Nielssen Kassian would be just fine in my books.
I think Dubois could step into a 3rd line role next year. But I am curious why you think being 6'3" 200 pounds makes him more suitable for a third line role than the two Finns might be next year. They are both bigger than him and are both quite physical. Of course neither is really a bottom six type player but if you are picking top 5 in the draft you should be looking for something a little more promising even early on.

All three are actually quite young relative to their draft class so you could be talking about some monsters here.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think there are probably 5 nHL ready players in this draft. Top 3 are already suceeding in pro leagues, no chance IMO any goes back

Dubios looks pretty NHL ready. NHL size and good skater. Probably 1 other forward too will make the jump.

Good year to draft a PWF

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think there are probably 5 nHL ready players in this draft. Top 3 are already suceeding in pro leagues, no chance IMO any goes back

Dubios looks pretty NHL ready. NHL size and good skater. Probably 1 other forward too will make the jump.

Good year to draft a PWF

and Chycrun? maybe.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I think Dubois could step into a 3rd line role next year. But I am curious why you think being 6'3" 200 pounds makes him more suitable for a third line role than the two Finns might be next year. They are both bigger than him and are both quite physical. Of course neither is really a bottom six type player but if you are picking top 5 in the draft you should be looking for something a little more promising even early on.

All three are actually quite young relative to their draft class so you could be talking about some monsters here.

I'm no prospect junkie and only saw Laine in the World Jr's, but from the sounds of it Dubois would certainly be a better fit in the bottom 6. The fact he is a center allows for more roster flexibility too. While the Finns are also big, and Laine lays the body quite regularly, I think Dubois has that "it" factor that Chiarelli was talking about before the draft last year. Different leagues, but Puljujarvi's 22 PIM's and Laine's 6 compared to Dubois' 112 lead me to believe neither Finn would be suited for a bottom 6 role in the NHL. The Oilers should know by now what happens when you try to put a top end talent without the intangibles needed to succeed in that position. He has more battle and intensity IMO, and intangibles like that are what the Oilers need, not that I would pass on Laine if he was on the board. I would consider drafting him at 3 ahead of Puljujarvi though.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
and Chycrun? maybe.

On the right D core absolutely. If hes picked by Calgary I could see it. Hed have shelter and Hamilton as a partner.

I'm no prospect junkie and only saw Laine in the World Jr's, but from the sounds of it Dubois would certainly be a better fit in the bottom 6. The fact he is a center allows for more roster flexibility too. While the Finns are also big, and Laine lays the body quite regularly, I think Dubois has that "it" factor that Chiarelli was talking about before the draft last year. Different leagues, but Puljujarvi's 22 PIM's and Laine's 6 compared to Dubois' 112 lead me to believe neither Finn would be suited for a bottom 6 role in the NHL. The Oilers should know by now what happens when you try to put a top end talent without the intangibles needed to succeed in that position. He has more battle and intensity IMO, and intangibles like that are what the Oilers need, not that I would pass on Laine if he was on the board. I would consider drafting him at 3 ahead of Puljujarvi though.

I dont know if theyd put Dubios in the bottom 6. I think theyd go top 6 or junior for him. Unless the 3rd line featured RNH and a solid winger.

Wingers next year probably are Hall, Maroon. Then 2 of Poliout/FA/Dubios. With Kassian on third line

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
On the right D core absolutely. If hes picked by Calgary I could see it. Hed have shelter and Hamilton as a partner.

I dont know if theyd put Dubios in the bottom 6. I think theyd go top 6 or junior for him. Unless the 3rd line featured RNH and a solid winger.

Wingers next year probably are Hall, Maroon. Then 2 of Poliout/FA/Dubios. With Kassian on third line

RNH and Dubois would actually make a great pair on the 3rd line if the Oilers are still chasing the mythical 3 scoring line unicorn.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Europeans haven't exactly thrived on this team in the past few years so my top 3 would probably be 1. Matthews 2. Chychrun 3. Dubois

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
RNH and Dubois would actually make a great pair on the 3rd line if the Oilers are still chasing the mythical 3 scoring line unicorn.

With a smart trade, a good FA signing and a 2016 1st we could have it. Gone are Eberle + Yak. In are Eriksson (Chia connection), Nichuskin, Dubios

Maroon-McDavid-Eriksson
Hall-Drasaitl-Kassian
Nichuskin-RNH-Dubios

And omg that size lol. One of the bigger teams in the NHL

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
With a smart trade, a good FA signing and a 2016 1st we could have it. Gone are Eberle + Yak. In are Eriksson (Chia connection), Nichuskin, Dubios

Maroon-McDavid-Eriksson
Hall-Drasaitl-Kassian
Nichuskin-RNH-Dubios

I have doubts that Eberle will bring in the type of defenseman needed. Chia will have to get a bit creative if all he ships out is Eberle and Yak. Maybe an offer sheet to Trouba, Lindholm, Barrie, or Vatanen. I also see no need for Nichuskin. He's a big body but I don't think his all around game is going to do much to help where the Oilers need. Pouliot is a much better player. Eriksson would be a welcome addition but Backes would be even better IMO.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016

Maroon-McDavid-Eriksson
Hall-Drasaitl-Kassian
Nichuskin-RNH-Dubios

Kassian being the only RH shot in the top-9 is not good.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Updated standings after Leafs/Sabres earned points tonight.

I took away a point needed for Calgary. We can't catch them in ROW, so unlike the others where they need to pass us in points, Flames only need to tie us.

Buffalo is as good as eliminated. Unless they go 0-5-0 and we go 3-0-0 with none of those wins coming in a shootout.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
A quick reminder for Oilers fans. Report posts like the removed one instead of responding to them please.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Laine is soo ideal for this team. McDavid-Laine duo would be filthy. I hope for the 2nd overall.

Agreed, his shot is absolutely unbelievable. Obviously he has parts of his game to work on, but man the more highlights I watch and full games I can get my hands on the more impressed I am.

I thought him and Matthews were the best players at the U-18s and U-20s. Pulju was solid as well.

The way I see it is it's either Matthews or Laine if we get pick 1/2 or trade back for Chychrun/Juolevi/Sergachev/Fabbro

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Agreed, his shot is absolutely unbelievable. Obviously he has parts of his game to work on, but man the more highlights I watch and full games I can get my hands on the more impressed I am.

I thought him and Matthews were the best players at the U-18s and U-20s. Pulju was solid as well.

The way I see it is it's either Matthews or Laine if we get pick 1/2 or trade back for Chychrun/Juolevi/Sergachev/Fabbro

I agree 100%.

I don't have much interest in walking out of this draft with Puljujarvi, Dubois etc.

Would rather draft Matthews or Laine, or trade the pick. I'd be okay with one of the top dmen if we cant trade.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
What are Oilers fans expecting against the Canucks 2x and Calgary?

Kind of ridiculous that you only have 3 games in the next 11 days to finish the season.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Kind of ridiculous that you only have 3 games in the next 11 days to finish the season.

Two wins if we're lucky. And yes, very ridiculous how one team has 3-4 games played more than every other team right now. The Oilers have had a very condensed schedule all year compared to other teams, with worse travel.

That's why we're last. :sarcasm:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

It's a stupid schedule, and we don't understand how/why that happened.

All 3 games are winnable. I don't think we go 3-0, or 0-3. Whether we win 1 or 2 is the question. Wouldnt mind to get at least 3 points to hit 70

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad