Prospect Info: 2016 Draft/ Lottery/ Prospect Discussion Thread (Lottery April 30th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Then trade it.
If there's no deal to be made, or we find D elsewhere then I would tend to agree with you.
But then, saying we could use the best player in the draft isn't exactly a reach.

I bet we've tried trading picks before. High picks don't carry near the value they seem to. There has to be a top end Dman who demands a trade or otherwise has some x factor that is pushing them out of their team.

I don't see that happening this year unless the cap crunch puts a team or two in a perilous spot, and it would have to be a team loaded with defense.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Then trade it.

Might be far better to trade one of our current "scoring" wingers, if we have a surplus. Can't see that we really do, but...

Trading the pick essentially means throwing in Davidson or another one of our defensemen as they'll get exposed in the expansion draft.

For cap and expansion-draft purposes, this Top 3/4 pick will be the most valuable one we've had other than the McDavid pick. Far better for the long and short-term health of this team to move one of the veteran forwards in return for another need, and then fill that hole (long-term) with this pick.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I bet we've tried trading picks before. High picks don't carry near the value they seem to. There has to be a top end Dman who demands a trade or otherwise has some x factor that is pushing them out of their team.

I don't see that happening this year unless the cap crunch puts a team or two in a perilous spot, and it would have to be a team loaded with defense.

Picks from this season will be exempt from the expansion draft. They should carry more value.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Might be far better to trade one of our current "scoring" wingers, if we have a surplus. Can't see that we really do, but...

Trading the pick essentially means throwing in Davidson or another one of our defensemen as they'll get exposed in the expansion draft.

For cap and expansion-draft purposes, this Top 3/4 pick will be the most valuable one we've had other than the McDavid pick. Far better for the long and short-term health of this team to move one of the veteran forwards in return for another need, and then fill that hole (long-term) with this pick.

I love Davidson and how he's turned his game and career around this year. Love him. I think he will be great in 2-3 years. That said, I think that other teams #4-6 guys will be far more attractive than Davidson will be... Of course depending on how things go next year... Then who knows, perhaps he is one of the protected few! Sekera will be exposed - I'd bet there's 15 Sekera caliber DMen exposed... Lots of good but pricey players to choose from.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Both Laine and Pul have me a bit worried. They both look great but both remind me just a bit too much of Yak and Magnus.

I think a Mathews or Thachuk fits what Chiarelli or even McLellan would prefer for the way they are building the team.

Gritty scoring over skilled scoring.

Difference being Laine is 4in taller than yak and is incredibly smart in every inch of the rink, his skating is his weakness. Think a nasty Kovalchuk thats better 2 way.

My guess
Matthews>Laine>Chychrun>=trade

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Picks from this season will be exempt from the expansion draft. They should carry more value.

I hope you are right, but I would think that GMs guard their top Dmen like their jobs depend on it. A strong top 4 is the best foundation to build on. They will sacrifice good wingers before they move top D, and the value in return wouldn't really matter much.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm thinking that management is more than willing to trade the pick if they get the right offer, but management will happily draft BPA because we stunk this year.

Yeah injuries blow. We might have finished in 20th place if we were healthy all year. But injuries happen and they exposed our lack of depth.

1st overall we're picking Matthews for sure. I think he's a solid player but also overrated. I do not see him turning out better than Eichel.

Puljujarvi would be my 2nd choice. I think he brings a bit more to the table.

We're not drafting a d-man unless we fall to 4th or 5th. Drafting a d-man isn't going to get us into the playoffs any time sooner. Takes longer for d-men to develop and the best one at this draft is a lefty to boot.

If we actually use our pick and it turns out to be a top 3 pick, I'm calling it now that 2 of Hall, Hopkins or Eberle will not be playing for the Oilers next season. I'll be mildly surprised if Yakupov is back, as well.

Whomever we draft, in the event that we get a top 3 pick I see them starting next season on the 3rd line.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Difference being Laine is 4in taller than yak and is incredibly smart in every inch of the rink, his skating is his weakness. Think a nasty Kovalchuk thats better 2 way.

My guess
Matthews>Laine>Chychrun>=trade

Agreed RE Laine. I think he's the best player in the draft. Will have a huge Impact.

My faves are Matthews = Laine, Chychrun, Tkachuk, Pulljaarvi, Juolevi.... Pretty much GUARANTEED at this point to get one of those guys! Pathetic but true.

I'd also move Hall, Eberle and or RNH at the draft too if possible with these picks being exempt from expansion... Time for a culture change, and none of these three care to win.

I wonder if NYR would do Kreider + for Hall? Or Kreider for Eberle? What would it take to get Josi? Hall + 2nd?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I hope you are right, but I would think that GMs guard their top Dmen like their jobs depend on it. A strong top 4 is the best foundation to build on. They will sacrifice good wingers before they move top D, and the value in return wouldn't really matter much.

I hope I am too. I guess we'll see how it plays out. There are teams lacking in wingers with D they can probably spare

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
I wonder if NYR would do Kreider + for Hall?

I wonder about a deal like that too, but I have to think that Hall would be moved in a deal that saw a defenseman coming back. Maybe Klein? That would certainly change the makeup of the team, though I think we'd lose that trade on paper pretty severely.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

I think the potential cap crunch could make this off season an optimal time to be offering a high end pick for top D.
You're right though, some things need to fall into place.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thats what I thought. He is probably going around 15 eh? I would considering maybe trading the pick down for a chance to pick Fabbro and add a top four dman.

Yeah somewhere in there. Pretty good thinking actually. Maybe swap firsts and get a solid NHL D man and maybe a 2nd, or swap firsts and add one our wingers for a higher rated D man.

WhyteAveJesus

Aug 24, 2015
Edmonton, AB
The defensemen from this draft look real nice. I wouldn't mind Pulju or Laine though, but winning the lottery for first overall would put us in a tricky situation.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Important to note for draft lottery standings, if we tie any of the other bottom 4 teams (Toronto, Vancouver, Columbus), we likely finish above them all due to having a better ROW record.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Fair enough.
But from what I understand there is no Ekblad, Doughty in this draft.
The last thing we need is a scoring winger

With the strong possibility of Eberle getting dealt and possibly even Hall, scoring winger could very well turn out to be a big need.

It'll be interesting to see who they draft if they end up at 2 or 3 if they even keep the pick. If they pick one of the Finns, that will be a sign that an Eberle trade this offseason is inevitable.

I do share some concerns, as others do, that most of Laine's goals come primarily from long range shots. Most of Ovechkin's goals occur that way too but he's Ovi.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Important to note for draft lottery standings, if we tie any of the other bottom 4 teams (Toronto, Vancouver, Columbus), we likely finish above them all due to having a better ROW record.

True... but then the Oilers have the tie breaker in the actual lottery draw due to their abundant supply of lucky ties, socks, coins, shrunken heads and the Tambo Troll Face talisman. :)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Agreed RE Laine. I think he's the best player in the draft. Will have a huge Impact.

My faves are Matthews = Laine, Chychrun, Tkachuk, Pulljaarvi, Juolevi.... Pretty much GUARANTEED at this point to get one of those guys! Pathetic but true.

I'd also move Hall, Eberle and or RNH at the draft too if possible with these picks being exempt from expansion... Time for a culture change, and none of these three care to win.

I wonder if NYR would do Kreider + for Hall? Or Kreider for Eberle? What would it take to get Josi? Hall + 2nd?

Kreider + McDonaugh yeah forsure

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The defensemen from this draft look real nice. I wouldn't mind Pulju or Laine though, but winning the lottery for first overall would put us in a tricky situation.

I dont think so. It embarassing for sure. But #1 is a goal scoring PWF 2 way center whos on same level as Tavares. Its not some 1 way small scoring winger. If you get #1 you just pick Matthews and trade whatever else besides McDavid

I think in 2 years well see this Laine/Pulj vs Matthews was just a media hype thing for the draft. Remember when McDavid and Eichel were super duper close and Eichel might have better rookie season?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think a really good draft would be coming out of it with Chychrun and Tyler Benson (with our second round pick). Maybe even Day too if he falls to the 3rd round. The pick all forwards with next 4 picks

Get your elite D prospect and your top PWF prospect

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Would love to see the team end up with Laine, almost as much as Matthews. I don't really know anything about Chychrun so I'll stay away from him.

Laine has the body to put up with the NHL right away and has loads of skill to complement his physical tools. Picking him up would free us up to trade quite a bit of salary from the wing, be it Eberle, or an instant upgrade on Yakupov.

Having a few kids on ELCs that can produce will open up lots of room under the cap for Chiarelli to be creative with.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
By position, here are the overagers I expect to get a look in this draft. I have no idea how many overagers are normally drafted and it seems to me like this list is high, but I guess that's what happens when you are in a weak draft that follows one of the deepest drafts in years.

Andrei Svetlakov - CSKA Moskva - 6'0,201 - Gritty center had solid rookie season in the KHL agitating his opponents.
[
Yegor Korshkov - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl - 6'3,179 - Power forward showed how dominant he can be at the WJC.

Sebastian Repo - Pelicans - 6'2,190 - Smart winger put up solid season in men's league.

I would be interested in these 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad