Post-Game Talk: 2016 Draft Discussion

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
We didn't have a 1st round pick in 3 of the last 5 yrs. The odds of getting an NHL player diminish after the 1st round. We got Jones in the 1st round who got us Johansen. Fiala is still unknown. Drafts are not all equal as some are deeper then others. It isn't just about who we picked but who we could have picked at the spot we were at. Sissons, Arvy, Salomaki, Watson, Bass, Adberg and Bitetto were all rookies we chose in the last 5-6 yrs who played for us last year. Are they great? No but none of them were 1st rounders so you aren't getting great players in the later rounds. You need cheap bottom 6 guys with the cap as they aren't going to get huge raises that will put you in a cap crunch later on.

We won't know till years later how good this draft was or wasn't

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Got to remember, we are restocking for 3-4 years down the road. This is a BIG picture, we are just seeing the very center of it currently.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I don't mind the Fabbro pick, in fact, I like it.

I don't like 3 defensemen in the 4 picks, when we've historically lacked depth scoring, and still do. Meanwhile we have 4 defensemen under long term contracts.

I don't like drafting undersized defensemen with high 2nd round picks anyway, but that's just me.

Historically, yes, but the last few years we've been stocking our forwards up and the only legitimate defense prospect we have is probably Dougherty and he's still a few years away.

The kids we pick today probably aren't going to be in the NHL for at least two years and most likely 3+ years. So much could happen in that time that if only one of those 3 defenseman turn out to be a top 4 we could be looking to replace Ekholm and Ellis as well as a declining Weber. I hope that doesn't happen, but two years is a long time in sports, especially with Vegas coming in.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Poile has lost his frickin mind.

You realize by this point Poile probably has little to do with these picks, right?

I would bet good money the scouting team has a rank list and Poile hasn't actually seen/scouted the players himself. He may be deliberately picking defenseman for the most part but I suspect the actual rankings of who to pick were all from the scouting staff

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
You realize by this point Poile probably has little to do with these picks, right?

I would bet good money the scouting team has a rank list and Poile hasn't actually seen/scouted the players himself. He may be deliberately picking defenseman for the most part but I suspect the actual rankings of who to pick were all from the scouting staff

I hope that's not true.

His main jobs are contracts and drafting.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Trig, I clearly am not completely disagreeing with you. I like the scouting reports on Fab. I will say that there have been periods of our draft history where we do exceptionally well with defenseman. With that in mind, a high volume approach 4 of our first 5 picks should be fruitful.

It is curious that we are going so heavy to restock the defense cupboard when the on ice defense is locked up for an eternity in NHL years. It makes me think Ellis could be had in the right deal down the road.

Or is going to be lost in the expansion draft

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
We didn't have a 1st round pick in 3 of the last 5 yrs. The odds of getting an NHL player diminish after the 1st round. We got Jones in the 1st round who got us Johansen. Fiala is still unknown. Drafts are not all equal as some are deeper then others. It isn't just about who we picked but who we could have picked at the spot we were at. Sissons, Arvy, Salomaki, Watson, Bass, Adberg and Bitetto were all rookies we chose in the last 5-6 yrs who played for us last year. Are they great? No but none of them were 1st rounders so you aren't getting great players in the later rounds. You need cheap bottom 6 guys with the cap as they aren't going to get huge raises that will put you in a cap crunch later on.

We won't know till years later how good this draft was or wasn't

Your exactly right but I would expand it to outside the top 10 in any particular draft the chances of getting a impact NHL'er drops even more. The Preds have not sucked bad enough except the Jones year to get into the higher picks. Even picking in top 10 has not worked out all that well for us. Scouting and Poiles best player available mentality has crippled the team from going forward. They have a knack for picking tweeners and backend just need to get over the hump with a few forwards.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

I have little doubt of that this is why I included the scouting in my previous post before I saw what you had said.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
what is poile doing? all defensemen and 2 centers? and the centers are 5'9 and 5'7. what?

this draft has been beyond disappointing.

Drafting for the new NHL midget league add Fiala, Jarnkrok, and a couple more of our guys we will dominate.

To the disappointing the bad thing last night and today are pretty much the offseason for the team.

Ohhh and the $ saved on team dinners can't ignor that.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Everyone here is freaking out. This isn't the NBA where we're expecting these guys to fill a hole. Dmen especially can look a lot different by the time they're ready for the NHL. Most of these are 18 year old kids that still have a few years of growing and a lot of muscle to put on. I'm not a fan of the size as others are but damn, that doesn't mean we didn't draft any quality here.

We've got 2 to 3 years to complain about this draft. Until then just calm the **** down.

All in all we needed to stock up on dmen with basically no one in our prospect pool. With how our team develops them and our history of scouting I feel pretty confident that at least one of these guys will pan out to be top 4 quality.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I think what would be funny was if we drafted all 6'4" forwards and 6'5" 230lb dman, whom can't skate worth a ****, but then watch how excited everybody got about the draft class. Hell they could all be made up names and measurements, nobody in here has a damn clue who anybody actually is, they just like to sound informed.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I think what would be funny was if we drafted all 6'4" forwards and 6'5" 230lb dman, whom can't skate worth a ****, but then watch how excited everybody got about the draft class. Hell they could all be made up names and measurements, nobody in here has a damn clue who anybody actually is, they just like to sound informed.

haha speak for yourself. Some of us do research and watch video on these guys. I for one, follow prospects year round....and have a good bit of contacts within the organization. you just made yourself sound very uninformed.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

It does not take much to be informed about size of players in the league. Just looking quickly The Pred have 9 players 6'0 or less on the roster. the Hawks have 4, Blues have 7, Dallas 7, Wild 8 Jets 8 Ave's 6. Now If you drop to 5'11 or less Preds have 6 while the other teams max out at 4.

There is a place for smaller players in the league but overloading with smaller players is dangerous. With todays additions of smaller players there are 8 more below the NHL level in the system. It made no sense to add this smaller players today. Granted most of them are not going to ever see the NHL or be a significant player in the NHL IMO we need more bigger guys trying to make the team.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Again, I just get tired of the "same ole, same ole"

Except it's not "same ole, same ole"

We loaded up massively on forwards the last couple of drafts, and with diaby looking like a bust and Aronson flyi MG the coop, we have precious little in the pipeline on D. This is an appropriate response to an organizational need, just as the last couple of drafts were

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
It does not take much to be informed about size of players in the league. Just looking quickly The Pred have 9 players 6'0 or less on the roster. the Hawks have 4, Blues have 7, Dallas 7, Wild 8 Jets 8 Ave's 6. Now If you drop to 5'11 or less Preds have 6 while the other teams max out at 4.

There is a place for smaller players in the league but overloading with smaller players is dangerous. With todays additions of smaller players there are 8 more below the NHL level in the system. It made no sense to add this smaller players today. Granted most of them are not going to ever see the NHL or be a significant player in the NHL IMO we need more bigger guys trying to make the team.

Who cares? I mean honestly. So many variables as to what makes a player successful. I chose not to get caught up on the 1 measurable that we know for guys that likely won't play for 3-5 years.

If 3-4 guys are eventually good enough to make the team years down the line, it'll be a good problem to have.

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2015/10/2015-16-nhl-teams-by-height-weight-and.html?m=1

I don't see anything except random numbers with small variables.

Last edited:

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I read the entire thread. Past the first round, I have no idea who these random Canadians and Euros are, and they're all 3-4 years out anyway. There's no reason to get worked up over it.

I think we got a good one in Fabbro.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Who cares? I mean honestly. So many variables as to what makes a player successful. I chose not to get caught up on the 1 measurable that we know for guys that likely won't play for 3-5 years.

If 3-4 guys are eventually good enough to make the team years down the line, it'll be a good problem to have.

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2015/10/2015-16-nhl-teams-by-height-weight-and.html?m=1

I don't see anything except random numbers with small variables.
With the talent and work ethic and individual can be successful. But having 17 undersized players in the fold of 50 contracts is at least questionable. Particularly when the organization is loyal to the player until it bleeds. If they do develop you have to trade some of them. There is a falsehood commonly accepted on HF that smaller players are always faster and faster is better. Case in point Dylin Larkin set the speed record for the NHL at the AS game at 13.172 Josi has the 3rd fastest time in history at 13.527 set at the same time. The previous record was set by Mike Gartner in 1996 at 13.386. Both Larkin and Josi are 6'1, Gartner was 6'0 at the time he held the record for 20 year. So yes I would like to see a few more guys larger than 6'0 in the system they have just as good of a chance to make the league can be just as fast. I would also like to see the smaller guys do well also but knowing we would have to limit the number of them on the roster we could have to move a couple of them.

We have enough players that get knocked off the puck now we need a little more beef.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
With the talent and work ethic and individual can be successful. But having 17 undersized players in the fold of 50 contracts is at least questionable. Particularly when the organization is loyal to the player until it bleeds. If they do develop you have to trade some of them. There is a falsehood commonly accepted on HF that smaller players are always faster and faster is better. Case in point Dylin Larkin set the speed record for the NHL at the AS game at 13.172 Josi has the 3rd fastest time in history at 13.527 set at the same time. The previous record was set by Mike Gartner in 1996 at 13.386. Both Larkin and Josi are 6'1, Gartner was 6'0 at the time he held the record for 20 year. So yes I would like to see a few more guys larger than 6'0 in the system they have just as good of a chance to make the league can be just as fast. I would also like to see the smaller guys do well also but knowing we would have to limit the number of them on the roster we could have to move a couple of them.

We have enough players that get knocked off the puck now we need a little more beef.

I agree with you, but to me it's just such a crap shoot with who is going to make it that I'm ok taking whomever they think has the best chance of success, despite size. We see people of all sizes fail, anybody who makes it to the big club is a "win" in my book and another asset for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad