Post-Game Talk: 2016 Draft Discussion

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Adam Smith (7th rounder) had 3 points in 22 GP last year. So....shut down D?

Overall, glad we reloaded on D. Fabbro seems solid. The rest are a crap shoot.

Last edited:

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Poile calls this one of the best drafts he's ever had. Said every player was someone that was targeted and spent a lot of time on each guy.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Really happy with Fabbro, Girard and Allard.

Know next to nothing about Aktell, Smith, Harper or Volkov, but hope they turn out good as well. Have to say though that it was incredibly frustrating to watch us pick these guys you've never heard of before and then the team after yours picks a guy you really thought highly of. Oh well, hope Poile knows what he's doing.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Poile calls this one of the best drafts he's ever had. Said every player was someone that was targeted and spent a lot of time on each guy.

This is encouraging. It means it wasn't too reactionary based on missing there guy. Hopefully the targets are on point.

I also agree that the profiles on Girard, Fabbro, and Allard are intriguing. It would be huge if two panned out.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Adam Smith (7th rounder) had 3 points in 22 GP last year. So....shut down D?

Yeah. Joined Bowling Green a semester early and played the back half of the season with them. Didn't look out of place at all, which is encouraging, but my expectations are low.

Overall, it's an interesting draft class. Lots of emphasis on speed and skating over size and strength, and several college-bound players, which tells me they think the Vesey drama was an isolated incident.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006

Gotta love hearing that. I think the fact that Poile didn't make any pick for pick trades confirms that. Seems like he always makes a pick for pick trade every year.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Or is going to be lost in the expansion draft

Good point and possible, but as it stands right now I just don't see us going the path of protecting 7 forwards, 3 defensemen and 1 goalie. However, it would make sense for Poile to at least potentially give himself the option by selecting a lot of defensemen just in case he obtains more forwards or prospects work out. Doubtful, but hey might as well prepare.

Fabbro was picked pretty much where he was expected to be picked, and in my opinion he was the best player available there. It so happens that he is also a right handed defenseman and we have a need for that at the moment. Not a fan of Girard in the second round, though. He can put up points, but his size is concerning. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play, so I know nothing.

GT88

Jun 25, 2016
T.

As a non predator fan, I'd agree. The logic behind the drafts was quite sound. Drafting for best combination of talent and vision. Congrats.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Every year after the draft settles in some group grades each teams draft(much like the NFL, NBA, etc.). It will be interesting to see the Predators grade this year. I think maybe B- or C+. What do you think?

Fabbro and Girard were not overdrafts by rankings. They went right where projected. Taking that into account, I see no reason they are graded poorly.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
B+ from Pronman.

To summarize, he said Girard might be one of the best offensive d-men in the Q in the last couple of decades. Called him an elite skater and "solid for his size"

Likes the Allard pick a little less, but thinks he's a good offensive d-man, not great defensively

Thinks Pitlick is a good project pick, north-south player with great shot. On the small side and not much of a playmaker.

Thinks Patrick Harper has sleeper potential, again small and high skill.

Seemed to give the draft high marks based on Fabbro, whom he views as an elite, bluechip type prospect and Girard alone. Thinks the rest of the picks were "okay."

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
For what it's worth, lots of people like Nashville's draft (check the prospect board). This isn't just a Poile thing. Pronman was a HUGE fan of Ekholm from the very beginning of his prospect status, even when Trotz banished him for a year. He was also a wilson fan FWIW.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
i think this was an excellent draft. The lack of defensive prospect depth was basically addressed in one draft. FWIW, the Hockey News had Allard listed as their #55 prospect in their draft guide, one spot ahead of Girard.

Edit: I found this review of the draft and they were pretty positive about the Predators giving them an A
http://www.thescore.com/news/1049775

Last edited:

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I'm beginning to like the Allard pick more and more and have seen some, including the guys on draft day compare Fabbro to Travis Hamonic.

If he turns out to be anything like the hammer, I'll be ecstatic with the choice over time.

My initial gut reaction being upset with the draft was our lack of size picked at the forward position with some of the guys that were available. I'll be honest, I wanted Gauthier more than anything in this draft. I know we needed to restock the defensive position, but I would have liked to see us take at least one wing. Didn't think we'd need to go goalie with any of our picks, but I guess I'll take the wait and see approach with the entire draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad