Post-Game Talk: 2016 Draft Discussion

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
NHLDraft2016_PMKENG0100a_2016_SCC_SRGB.png

With a heavy heart, it's time to bust out the draft talk.

So, after being zoned into the playoffs, outside of picks 1 and 2, I know nothing about the draft pool this year. Can anyone enlighten me?

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
I would like to see us draft German Rubtsov in the 1st round. 2way C with some offensive upside. Some compare him to likes of Couturier and Barkov (not as good as Barkov obviously). He has the size and would give us 3 Russian C (alongside Trenin and Kamenev) to battle for 2nd and 3rd line C spots. I haven't seen him play but have heard that he is a bit "raw" talent which I think is fine while I'm fairly sure that we can get someone to play 3rd line C when Fisher and Ribs are done.

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
To bad julien gauthier will end up in colorado

If you're an Avs fan, why are you posting here? All I see are negative comments.

If Gauthier gets picked by Colorado, then that's just foolish reaching down 7 spots, as the average spot he is predicted at is 17.

Edit: On another note, Alex DeBrincat has been falling since the inital rankings, he was initially supposed to go 15-20, now he's looking like a mid-second rounder to some sites. If he fell to us, or if we had to trade up a few spots to get him, I would take a chance on him. He's undersized, but he's put up two 51 goal seasons in Erie, both with 100+ points. He could definitely be a high risk, high reward pick.

Last edited:

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Jake Bean Calgary Hitmen d-man may be there when we draft. Lots of offensive upside. He can skate and has excellent on-ice awareness. A little small but will likely bulk up. Sounds a little like the Philly Ghost.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Jake Bean Calgary Hitmen d-man may be there when we draft. Lots of offensive upside. He can skate and has excellent on-ice awareness. A little small but will likely bulk up. Sounds a little like the Philly Ghost.

I think Bean will be gone, but one of Dante Fabbro or Sergchaev should be there, if we want to go d-man.

For forwards, I really like Gauthier, Max Jones, Kieffer Bellows, Mike MacLeod

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I'm torn on who to take first round in terms of position. We need to restock the defenseman cupboard but I think it's important to take a Wing with our first round pick.

Like mentioned by someone on this board, we don't have many guys in the pipeline at the wing position that are top flight. Fiala, maybe. Kirkland could turn out to be something. Gauthier would be a huge get IMO.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Ideal draft to move up a few or down a few to get the guy you want. We are positioned well to be a bit more aggressive in that regard. Forward or Defenseman is okay with me.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Grundström is my guy. Horny 2.0 with a bit of Marchand sprinkled in. And we can trade back to get him. I don't think this draft is very deep in the first round past the first 12

Last edited:

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Barring any trades. My picks

17th- Julien Gauthier RW 6' 3" 220 Vale-d'Or QMJHL
47th- Jacob Moverare LHD 6' 1" 195 HV71 SHL
77th- Colby Sissons LHD 6' 2" 177 Swift Current WHL
107th- Nikolai Chebykin RW 6' 4" 182 Balashikha KHL
137th- Lucas Carlsson LHD 6' 0" 183 Brynäs IF SHL
167th- Manuel Wiederer C 6' 0" 174 Moncton QMJHL
197th- Gabriel Sylvestre RHD 6' 3" Shawinigan QMJHL

If Gauthier is gone at 17/we don't trade up I would be fine with trading back and adding another pick and drafting DeBrincat.

Also wonder when top 6 defenseman are taken in this draft? We could be setting on a gold mine at 17 if one of them is left there.

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Why would we draft a winger if he's not a 100% sure steal. Don't think Gauthier is up there when we pick. We are pretty heavy on the wings: Fiala, Aberg, Arvidsson, Trenin (who's also a center), Kirkland.

Our target should be on our prospect pools weakest area: Defense. There are many d-men in the 1st round and one of them should be up there at 17th. We have to prepare post-Weber era in our backend.

If there's not a good d-men available at 17th, then target a center. We have Kamenev but depth there wouldn't be a problem.

My preferred picks that could realistically be u

Gauthier (if he's somehow still up there)
Jake Bean
Dante Fabbro
Charlie McAvoy
Kieffer Bellows (although always leery on college kids)

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I am leery of taking a D man in the first round. Now, please understand that there are exceptions, but Top Six Spaling did a great breakdown of the NHL draft a year ago and how taking a goalie or D man in the first round usually does not pan out as well as taking them later in the draft. Really was fascinating.

If Bean isn't available, I hope we drop back in the draft and take markus niemeläinen who has Ekholm written all over him IMHO.

The problem with 15-30 is almost all the guys are the same. No one stands out to me as THE guy we need. Better off dropping back and getting a guy we really want.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I'd like Lucas Johansen with our second pick if he's still available.

Not just because he's Ryan's brother either, but because he's a defenseman in Kelowna and they have a very good track record of developing great blueliners in there. (Barrie, Edler, Weber, Keith, Myers, Schenn, Severson, Gorges, Souray, Hannan..)

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Alex DiBrincat please.

The Sharks used their cat to beat us, we can return the favor with one of our own. (Sorry Gnash!)

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'd like Lucas Johansen with our second pick if he's still available.

Not just because he's Ryan's brother either, but because he's a defenseman in Kelowna and they have a very good track record of developing great blueliners in there. (Barrie, Edler, Weber, Keith, Myers, Schenn, Severson, Gorges, Souray, Hannan..)

Yeah, that's who I see taking with our second rounder.

I could see us trading down in the first round 20-28 range to pick up another pick which we use to move up in the second round. Just a hunch.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Alex DiBrincat please.

The Sharks used their cat to beat us, we can return the favor with one of our own. (Sorry Gnash!)

I'm a little iffy on DiBrincat after seeing the way he was totally shut down in the WJCs(after coming back from a minor injury), but even before that he strikes me as a Rocco Grimaldi type -- huge amounts of skill, but doesn't have the mobility, speed, or strength to overcome his small size. I think a bigger, more punishing scorer should be higher priority:

Julien Gauthier (Rick Nash)
Max Jones (Milan Lucic)

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm a little iffy on DiBrincat after seeing the way he was totally shut down in the WJCs(after coming back from a minor injury), but even before that he strikes me as a Rocco Grimaldi type -- huge amounts of skill, but doesn't have the mobility, speed, or strength to overcome his small size. I think a bigger, more punishing scorer should be higher priority:

Julien Gauthier (Rick Nash)
Max Jones (Milan Lucic)

The only thing I'm questionable on with DeBrincat is what's between his ears, considering how stupid that spear was during WJC considering the timing and impact on the game.

I didn't know Johansen had a brother, but if he was a D, that would be good for our second round pick, provided he drops/we move up.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Ideal draft to move up a few or down a few to get the guy you want. We are positioned well to be a bit more aggressive in that regard. Forward or Defenseman is okay with me.

The guy I'd move up for is Logan Brown. If Bellows isn't available, I'd be ok with the prospect of trading down for an extra 2nd/3rd. Ideally end up with some combination of Pu/Debrincat and Stanley/Niemelainen/Mete.

truefan8993

Dec 20, 2011
Why risk it when players of equal talent are available?

I'm pretty sure Fabbro is not a risk at all as he has stated that his favorite team is Nashville. Plus he has siblings attending school near Nashville. He would be a great pick up given our thinning defensive farm system.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00