Post-Game Talk: 2016 Draft Discussion

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Welcome to the Nashville Predators defensemen draft. When you can't draft forwards for ****, just draft a defenseman and hope for a trade.

Going into this draft, our top 5-ish prospects were all forwards. I have absolulely no issue with taking some D. I would have rather gone F in the second round, but I'm not upset about it.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
We already have a pretty good, young forward core. Add Arvy/Fiala/Aberg/Kamenev/Trenin/Kirkland and all the forwards we took last year, and I think we look pretty good there.

Our defense pool though, Carrier and Dougherty. That's it.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Are you seriously going to argue that we know right now how our last five drafts have been??? I'll give you 2011 and MAYBE 2012, but 2013-2015 we have no idea yet.

yeah, 2014 looks like a player or 2 has a chance but we were all high on Aberg, Sissons, Watson, etc, none are good offensive players.

I just don't think our scouts are worth a flip when it comes to forwards.

Thankfully Poile is good at trading.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
yeah, 2014 looks like a player or 2 has a chance but we were all high on Aberg, Sissons, Watson, etc, none are good offensive players.

I just don't think our scouts are worth a flip when it comes to forwards.

Thankfully Poile is good at trading.

Most players don't pan out. Saying Poile sucks at drafting becuase a late first and a couple high seconds are turning out be to middle six/4th line guys instead of superstars is asinine. Especially when they're all still young and could easily break out. You're really gonna say, with certainty, that Aberg isn't a good offensive player?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Most players don't pan out. Saying Poile sucks at drafting becuase a late first and a couple high seconds are turning out be to middle six/4th line guys instead of superstars is asinine. Especially when they're all still young and could easily break out. You're really gonna say, with certainty, that Aberg isn't a good offensive player?
Yes, I'm saying that Aberg has very little chance at being anything more than Bourque offensively.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
How many of these defensemen have you watched play? Or are you literally just reading their height and assuming that's a proxy for their skill?

You know that is the thing. We have seen none of them play so we must rely on there past performance and whats reported about them and the physical size.

1 Fabbro hes pumped up pretty well by the bloggers but there were better choices there. He going to BC not a but I do not care for college players, there are just too many questions and the option to hold out still stings.

2. Pitlick another undersized player that was not drafted in his first year of eligibility.

3. Allard is a good pick for 3rd round still a little smallish 6'0 158. At best the guy puts on 25 pounds and is still small for NHL.

Poile needed to restock the D no doubt the best shot was that 1st round pick and missed the boat. From what I have read about Fabbro is he tops at a #4. This was the draft that Webers replacment needed to be put in the system. Well these guys are not it.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Poile sucks at drafting forwards. I don't need the last 5 drafts to tell me that, I have 14 other drafts.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I truthfully have no idea nor have I seen these players. Fabbro could be a good fit and I would guess he pans out.

That said, there is a lot of truth with the statements that the Predators are abysmal at developing and drafting forward talent. The scary part ... Even with a huge focus on this in recent drafts, we may have even less success. The predators desperately need kamenev or Fiala to hit as a top 6 forward. Secondly, an undersized forward is not equivalent to an undersized defenseman. An undersized defenseman automatically gets removed from the very real on ice needs of net protection, physicality, and board play. These can be huge assets. I'm not saying it makes these prospects failures from the start. It does mean they have to compensate in other areas, IQ, positioning, speed, etc.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
You know that is the thing. We have seen none of them play so we must rely on there past performance and whats reported about them and the physical size.

1 Fabbro hes pumped up pretty well by the bloggers but there were better choices there. He going to BC not a but I do not care for college players, there are just too many questions and the option to hold out still stings.

2. Pitlick another undersized player that was not drafted in his first year of eligibility.

3. Allard is a good pick for 3rd round still a little smallish 6'0 158. At best the guy puts on 25 pounds and is still small for NHL.

Poile needed to restock the D no doubt the best shot was that 1st round pick and missed the boat. From what I have read about Fabbro is he tops at a #4. This was the draft that Webers replacment needed to be put in the system. Well these guys are not it.
So who would you have drafted at #17 to replace Shea Freaking Weber?

We took who we thought was the best guy available. I'm not an expert, so I can't say whether we were right. But I can't stand people acting like they know for sure that these are bad picks just because they're "undersized".

I will admit I was rooting for Bellows at #17, but I also understand that I have never seen him play and was just basing it on the little I knew. I trust our scouting staff to do a much better job than me.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Poile sucks at drafting forwards. I don't need the last 5 drafts to tell me that, I have 14 other drafts.

I completely agree that he's in the bottom third of the leauge for his whole career. No question. I just am saying the last five drafts are irrelevant to that discussion.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Again, the complete ignorance is just overwhelming. People fully admit they've never seen a guy play, yet continue to spew strong opinions. You like reviewing movies you've never seen, describing food you've never eaten?

If that doesn't make your head spin then I don't know what will.

Discussing is possible without deeming someone a failure or trash. Well, it's possible for some I guess, others struggle with the idea of not trying to push buttons and be "that guy" that needs to be able to say "I told you so" to a group of random names on a screen.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

Poile needed to restock the D no doubt the best shot was that 1st round pick and missed the boat. From what I have read about Fabbro is he tops at a #4. This was
the draft that Webers replacment needed to be put in the system. Well these guys are not it.

So tell us, who would've you picked at @ 17 to replace Weber?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't mind the Fabbro pick, in fact, I like it.

I don't like 3 defensemen in the 4 picks, when we've historically lacked depth scoring, and still do. Meanwhile we have 4 defensemen under long term contracts.

I don't like drafting undersized defensemen with high 2nd round picks anyway, but that's just me.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
So who would you have drafted at #17 to replace Shea Freaking Weber?

We took who we thought was the best guy available. I'm not an expert, so I can't say whether we were right. But I can't stand people acting like they know for sure that these are bad picks just because they're "undersized".

I will admit I was rooting for Bellows at #17, but I also understand that I have never seen him play and was just basing it on the little I knew. I trust our scouting staff to do a much better job than me.

I would have prefered Gauthier with the pick but if It had to be a Dman Stanleys size intrigues me. Also little Johanson coming out of Kelowna the same place that produced Shea, Barre, Edler, Georges, Hannan, Keith. Johanson is more than RJ's little brother.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Trig, I clearly am not completely disagreeing with you. I like the scouting reports on Fab. I will say that there have been periods of our draft history where we do exceptionally well with defenseman. With that in mind, a high volume approach 4 of our first 5 picks should be fruitful.

It is curious that we are going so heavy to restock the defense cupboard when the on ice defense is locked up for an eternity in NHL years. It makes me think Ellis could be had in the right deal down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad