Post-Game Talk: 2016 Draft Discussion

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Call me crazy but I am hoping the league nails Toronto with tampering with Vesey and we switch 1st round picks with the Leafs.

ok, you're crazy, and it wouldn't be until next years draft anyway since Vesey wont sign anywhere until August

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Call me crazy but I am hoping the league nails Toronto with tampering with Vesey and we switch 1st round picks with the Leafs.

That would be unprecedented, and simply wouldn't happen.

Even if Vesey signs with Toronto -- and all signs seem to say he's going to Boston -- there's not enough proof to call it tampering. "You hired his dad. Case closed" wouldn't do it.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
You guys ever going to give up this Vesey obsession?

I don't understand why he didn't take the offer, but it was within his rights to do it.

Like I have said before, some of these guys you think are so loyal to Nashville like Weber and others wish they had the choice, and I think you would find out many would do the same. Weber tried the same thing years ago. From media reports he didn't think Nashville was going to match it.

I still say Poile is more at fault than anyone.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
You guys ever going to give up this Vesey obsession?

I don't understand why he didn't take the offer, but it was within his rights to do it.

Like I have said before, some of these guys you think are so loyal to Nashville like Weber and others wish they had the choice, and I think you would find out many would do the same. Weber tried the same thing years ago. From media reports he didn't think Nashville was going to match it.

I still say Poile is more at fault than anyone.

Media reports I saw from Weber directly said he was told by ownership and Poile any offer would be matched. But whatever.

I think it's funny you post more on Vesey than anyone else but call everyone else out about their obsession. I'd say 90% of your limited post are about Vesey.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
Whoever we pick at 17 is probably not going to be immediate help so why not trade back add a second 2nd round pick?

Several things I've read seem to indicate that it's a pretty shallow draft and that there's a huge drop-off around 22-23. There's a lot of good players that should be around at 17. I think it would be wise for Poile to stay put and either start restocking the defense (Fabbro, McAvoy, Bean) or add a wing (Jones, Tufte, Bellows) who might be able to provide some cheap depth scoring when the big contracts for Forsberg and Johansen kick in.

Media reports I saw from Weber directly said he was told by ownership and Poile any offer would be matched. But whatever.

I think you guys make too much of the Weber/Flyers thing. There was a time when Scott Stevens wanted nothing to do with being a Devil and look how that turned out. It was much uglier than just signing a contract with the Flyers to guarantee a huge payday.

As for the draft, I though this mock was pretty well thought out. They have the Preds taking Fabbro.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/06/2016-nhl-mock-draft.html?m=1

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
It's just a list, not a mock draft, but A.) Chychurun won't be available at 17. B.) Gauthier won't last anywhere near that long, and C.) Craig Button is a huge loser.

Button does this every single year. He'll launch someone from like the third round into the middle of the first and drop someone from the top ten into the late first or mid second. He likes the shock value.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
It's just a list, not a mock draft, but A.) Chychurun won't be available at 17. B.) Gauthier won't last anywhere near that long, and C.) Craig Button is a huge hoser.

Fixed for accuracy.

There is no way Chychurun is available at 17 and if he is, I think we have a reason to be a bit concerned why he fell so far. I'd be happy to take him, but every scouting list I have seen has him ranked in the top 10 outside of this one.

I also don't think Gauthier is available at our pick.

As cool as it would be to draft Fabbro, I just am not all that sold on him over some of the other guys out there. What would be absolutely crazy (and awesome) is if we found a way to move up to 5 (which Benning has been shopping hard) and take Logan Brown. That would give us Johansen Brown Kamenev down the middle for years to come. Not exactly sure what it would take, probably 17 + Wilson + something else. Doubt it would happen, but that would certainly make a splash.

Last edited:

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
How do you guys like Luke Kunin? Cause the more I read about him, the more I like him. Sounds a bit like Pavelski to me. He's been called a sure fire top 15 pick, but if he slips to 17 for some reason, I wouldn't mind us picking him.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'm wary of any NCAA prospects. Rather not go down that road again. I'd rather get someone from overseas or that is from overseas but plays in Canada. We seem to have better results in keeping them here long term.

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Fixed for accuracy.

There is no way Chychurun is available at 17 and if he is, I think we have a reason to be a bit concerned why he fell so far. I'd be happy to take him, but every scouting list I have seen has him ranked in the top 10 outside of this one.

I also don't think Gauthier is available at our pick.

As cool as it would be to draft Fabbro, I just am not all that sold on him over some of the other guys out there. What would be absolutely crazy (and awesome) is if we found a way to move up to 5 (which Benning has been shopping hard) and take Logan Brown. That would give us Johansen Brown Kamenev down the middle for years to come. Not exactly sure what it would take, probably 17 + Wilson + something else. Doubt it would happen, but that would certainly make a splash.

You'd be adding much more than Willy to get that deal done, maybe 1st+Fiala+Dougherty/2nd? I wouldn't do it, but your value is off, even if Benning isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
We've lost as many "overseas" prospects as we have NCAA.

It's not just Vesey, it's NCAA prospects as a whole. Some work out great, but others never seen to reach their potential. I am not 100% sure NCAA hockey is the best development system for young players. Obviously a controversial declaration, but one I stand by as a gut feeling. If I had my preference, we wouldn't draft a D man till the second round and hope Johansen or Niemelainen fall.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I'm not taking an NCAA kid with the 17th pick. Just be scared of another Vesey situation.

With that being said, IF Chychrun were to somehow fall to 17, you take him no questions asked. The kid is going to be an absolute stud. (sorry for to call the kid a stud :laugh:)

I think Gauthier could be there, but there's a chance he gets taken hire. He reminds me of Nick Ritchie who the Ducks took in the top 10 a couple years ago, except more scoring prowess.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Whenever I think of Craig Button I think of his completely absurd tirade about Carter Hutton which even baffled the other NHL Network studio host. He's a buffoon

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I think we end up taking Fabbro personally. Decent size already (6' 192). Right handed shot, and the only right handed shot defenseman likely to go in the top 40ish if I'm not mistaken. I think Poile will really be eyeing someone to take over Weber's spot. I'm not sure if Fabbro has that protential, but Weber didn't exactly have that Weber potential when he was drafted either. From scouting reports it seems like he is a mobile, two-way guy who isn't afraid to use the body and could have a pretty high offensive upside.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I think we end up taking Fabbro personally. Decent size already (6' 192). Right handed shot, and the only right handed shot defenseman likely to go in the top 40ish if I'm not mistaken. I think Poile will really be eyeing someone to take over Weber's spot. I'm not sure if Fabbro has that protential, but Weber didn't exactly have that Weber potential when he was drafted either. From scouting reports it seems like he is a mobile, two-way guy who isn't afraid to use the body and could have a pretty high offensive upside.

I really hope not. It's not that I am not high on Fabbro, I think he will be a decent player, but you are always better off taking forwards in the first round and saving defensemen and goalies for the mid rounds.

I also think Fabro goes before us... not by much but probably 12-15. I'm hoping one of Michael McLeod, Keiffer Bellows, or German Rubtsov fall to us.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I really hope not. It's not that I am not high on Fabbro, I think he will be a decent player, but you are always better off taking forwards in the first round and saving defensemen and goalies for the mid rounds.

I also think Fabro goes before us... not by much but probably 12-15. I'm hoping one of Michael McLeod, Keiffer Bellows, or German Rubtsov fall to us.

I'd be fine with taking a defenseman, but I'm of the same ilk in saying you take a forward in the first round.

My top 2 d choices that may fall to us: Jake Bean and Dante Fabbro (don't think they will fall to 17, but if they do I'd be fine with either)
My top 2 forward choices: Julien Gauthier and German Rubtsov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad