Post-Game Talk: 2016 Draft Discussion

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I'm pretty sure Fabbro is not a risk at all as he has stated that his favorite team is Nashville. Plus he has siblings attending school near Nashville. He would be a great pick up given our thinning defensive farm system.
Where did he say that Nashville was his favorite team? My understanding is his family is part owners of the Canucks.

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Why would we draft a winger if he's not a 100% sure steal. Don't think Gauthier is up there when we pick. We are pretty heavy on the wings: Fiala, Aberg, Arvidsson, Trenin (who's also a center), Kirkland.

Our target should be on our prospect pools weakest area: Defense. There are many d-men in the 1st round and one of them should be up there at 17th. We have to prepare post-Weber era in our backend.

If there's not a good d-men available at 17th, then target a center. We have Kamenev but depth there wouldn't be a problem.

My preferred picks that could realistically be u

Gauthier (if he's somehow still up there)
Jake Bean
Dante Fabbro
Charlie McAvoy
Kieffer Bellows (although always leery on college kids)

I think a lot depends on how highly people want the top six Defensemen in this draft. If their is a run on Defense who knows what happens.

Btw how long do you plan on developing a defenseman if he is for the post Weber era? Just asking? :naughty:

Last edited:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
After reading that, I am down to draft Fabbro. I'd also be down for Johansen if we can snag him with our second pick, probably would have to trade up though. That would give us a lot better defensive depth.

Apparently Grundstrom's stock has fallen a bit after a poor second half to his season. Maybe we can get him in the third. Still think the guy has the potential to be Hornqvist's replacement.

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think its about as likely that Fabbro would be on the board as Gauthier, both could go higher if someone reached. Fabbro's stock will go up in Nashville once that article starts making the rounds. I wouldn't mind grabbing him, if he's still on the board.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
After reading that, I am down to draft Fabbro. I'd also be down for Johansen if we can snag him with our second pick, probably would have to trade up though. That would give us a lot better defensive depth.

Apparently Grundstrom's stock has fallen a bit after a poor second half to his season. Maybe we can get him in the third. Still think the guy has the potential to be Hornqvist's replacement.

Him or Givani Smith if he's still there.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Any chance we take a goalie in the 2nd/3rd round? There are some interesting names popping up such as Evan Fitzpatrick, Carter Hart, Filip Gustavsson and Tyler Parsons. I'd like to have another option besides Saros. Drafting a goalie in the 3rd round doesn't sound too risky for me.

EDIT: Mihail Bredin would also be an interesting choice. Drafting Jeremy Helvig would be sweet since he is from Nashville. Would bring that extra value to that.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
We need to be looking for Ellis' replacement this draft. Ellis has 3 more years left on his deal and will command a big raise

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Any chance we take a goalie in the 2nd/3rd round? There are some interesting names popping up such as Evan Fitzpatrick, Carter Hart, Filip Gustavsson and Tyler Parsons. I'd like to have another option besides Saros. Drafting a goalie in the 3rd round doesn't sound too risky for me.

EDIT: Mihail Bredin would also be an interesting choice. Drafting Jeremy Helvig would be sweet since he is from Nashville. Would bring that extra value to that.

We drafted two goalies last year. Not saying we will not pick one but goalie seems to be a position of strength to me.

Rinne
Saros
Mazanec
Juvonen
Vejmelka
Smith

I think if the right offensive piece such as Gauthier is there at 17, you pick them. We may have some good prospects but RW is a weakness and we need some finishers not set up men.
Defense can be addressed if the right offensive piece is not there or we could trade down and gain another second. Poile seems to be able to find defenseman in rounds 2 & 3 who are pretty good.

To me I see it like this.
1. Gauthier
2. Fabbro
3. Trade down

I like some of the Russians and I wonder if Poile continues to draft at least one
1. Mikhail Matsev
2. Vladimir Kuznetsov
3. Nikolai Chebykin
4. German Rubstov - probably goes in 1st round

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I'm torn on who to take first round in terms of position. We need to restock the defenseman cupboard but I think it's important to take a Wing with our first round pick.

Like mentioned by someone on this board, we don't have many guys in the pipeline at the wing position that are top flight. Fiala, maybe. Kirkland could turn out to be something. Gauthier would be a huge get IMO.

I agree with you.There is absolutely no reason to be picking a defenseman with the first pick. We need the best forward available, then address the defense with the 2nd and 3rd pick

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I agree with you.There is absolutely no reason to be picking a defenseman with the first pick. We need the best forward available, then address the defense with the 2nd and 3rd pick

If we had a top 5 or even top 10 pick I might agree but the odds of getting a top 6 winger at 17 or wherever we are is a bit worse

Our biggest organizational need(i.e. what we will need in 3-4 years) is defensive depth.

That said, if there is a forward who is clearly BPA when its our turn, you take him. But if its a 50/50 choice between a forward and a defenseman, I'd go with D, especially if its a puck moving type

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
1st: BPA except for goalies
2nd: Defenseman
3rd: Don't care
4-7 goalies, need, etc.

My preference. Good god, don't draft a fricken goalie until at least the third or fourth. Absolute waste of a good pick most of the time.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
1st: BPA except for goalies
2nd: Defenseman
3rd: Don't care
4-7 goalies, need, etc.

My preference. Good god, don't draft a fricken goalie until at least the third or fourth. Absolute waste of a good pick most of the time.

True dat. Hopefully Jack Dougherty can pan out and can soften the blow with our depth. I think Poile goes defense heavy this year, kinda like the spree of centers we got last draft

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Whoever we pick at 17 is probably not going to be immediate help so why not trade back add a second 2nd round pick?

Seems to be some good players still up there in the 23-40 range.

Forwards:
German Rubstov may go earlier
Pascal Laberge
Carl Grundström
Tage Thompson
Cliff Pu
Vitali Abramov
Taylor Raddysh
Alex DeBrincat

Defenseman:
Logan Stanley (LHD)
Markus Niemeläinen (LHD)
Libor Hájek (LHD) the more I see and read about him the more I really like him.
Lucas Johansen (LHD)
Dennis Cholowski (LHD)

So we could call Winnipeg, Toronto ,and Florida.

Winnipeg has picks 22 & 36. Probably not interested in moving up that bad unless someone they are in love with is there at 17.

Florida has picks 23 & 33. Probably same as Winnipeg.

Toronto has picks 30 & 31. I could see them being interested in picking a defenseman at 17.

So if we moved 17 for 30 + 31 we could draft three nice pieces at 30, 31, and 47.

I would be thrilled with this:

30. Alex DeBrincat
31. Libor Hájek
47. Jacob Moverare

Gives us a sniper who is small but exactly what we need, a finisher, and two really good defenseman prospects.

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Whoever we pick at 17 is probably not going to be immediate help so why not trade back add a second 2nd round pick?

Seems to be some good players still up there in the 23-40 range.

Forwards:
German Rubstov may go earlier
Pascal Laberge
Carl Grundström
Tage Thompson
Cliff Pu
Vitali Abramov
Taylor Raddysh
Alex DeBrincat

Defenseman:
Logan Stanley (LHD)
Markus Niemeläinen (LHD)
Libor Hájek (LHD) the more I see and read about him the more I really like him.
Lucas Johansen (LHD)
Dennis Cholowski (LHD)

So we could call Winnipeg, Toronto ,and Florida.

Winnipeg has picks 22 & 36. Probably not interested in moving up that bad unless someone they are in love with is there at 17.

Florida has picks 23 & 33. Probably same as Winnipeg.

Toronto has picks 30 & 31. I could see them being interested in picking a defenseman at 17.

So if we moved 17 for 30 + 31 we could draft three nice pieces at 30, 31, and 47.

I would be thrilled with this:

30. Alex DeBrincat
31. Libor Hájek
47. Jacob Moverare

Gives us a sniper who is small but exactly what we need, a finisher, and two really good defenseman prospects.
Call me crazy but I am hoping the league nails Toronto with tampering with Vesey and we switch 1st round picks with the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad