2016 Draft: 2nd Pick: Tyler Benson (UPD: Invited to Summer WJC Camp)

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Benson was hurt last summer during the Hlinka tournament. He played through it and still performed well. Problem is he tried to return to the ice at the start of training camp, didn't feel right and ended up resting for weeks. Had multiple scans done to determine whether or not he needed surgery. At best he was playing at 70% last season. And yet he was still the Giants best player. Now, on one hand that's sad and doesn't say a lot about the team. On the other hand it's quite impressive. He tried to take the team on his back and do things outside of his comfort zone (like being their most consistently physical forward and even fighting) when he was in pain most of the time. I'm glad the team finally let him sit the year out and get proper rest to heal up. He wanted to play badly especially when they were in a playoff push but it wasn't worth the risk. If the injury alone was the reason he dropped I would argue many teams/scouts were really over analyzing the situation. I know some people think his skating isn't great but I don't see that as a problem at all. Not to mention that is one of the easiest problems to address. Even saw a few comments about how he is ineffective on the forecheck. I find that claim to be ridiculous. Clearly whoever thinks that needs to watch him more often. He can be a force on the forecheck and when he forces turnovers he is very strong on the cycle. Only time will tell if he can put everything together and be the player he is capable of being. But I'm certainly confident he will make that happen. I see no reason for concern whatsoever.

The former caused the latter. He was overcompensating. Neither injury is career threatening. Which is why this whole injury stigma surrounding him is overblown.

he is EXACTLY what you aim for in the mid 1st round and 2nd. all the tools. all the proof. but a couple question marks. can he put it together?
if he can

look the f out

if there were no question marks on a prospect? THEY gO TOP TEN. what is so hard for people to understand about that? lol his competition for that spot were a bunch of bottom six borderlines. (not directed at you but just...what do people expect in the second round or late 1st? 22% is the magic number in the 2nd...drops to 12 for the 3rd.) you have question marks or you can settle for a "sure thing" replaceable bottom sixer. you take your shot.

as I said...kid was held back through physical ailments and to me (especially when I think of body growth he endured) than for any kind of mental or work-ethic issue. mental/personality issues? run away. physical issue that is short term? lol I laugh and take him.
love it
benn

chia. clap
well done
best ceiling in the second round by far

Last edited:

Hordichuk_24

he is EXACTLY what you aim for in the mid 1st round and 2nd. all the tools. all the proof. but a couple question marks. can he put it together?
if he can

look the f out

if there were no question marks on a prospect? THEY gO TOP TEN. what is so hard for people to understand about that? lol his competition for that spot were a bunch of bottom six borderlines. (not directed at you but just...what do people expect in the second round or late 1st? you have question marks or you can settle for a "sure thing" replaceable bottom sixer. you take your shot.

as I said...kid was held back through physical ailments and to me (especially when I think of body growth he endured) than for any kind of mental or work-ethic issue.

I agree. And to be honest I don't think the perceived issues are really issues at all. I would've drafted him in the 1st round if I were in such a position. I still can't believe some of the teams picking late in the 1st didn't take him. I think they will end up regretting that for years to come. He basically fell into the Oilers lap. Taking a first round talent in round two is never a bad move.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I agree. And to be honest I don't think the perceived issues are really issues at all. I would've drafted him in the 1st round if I were in such a position. I still can't believe some of the teams picking late in the 1st didn't take him. I think they will end up regretting that for years to come. He basically fell into the Oilers lap. Taking a first round talent in round two is never a bad move.

to me...its a question of the scouts and gm. as an agent (not in hockey) I would evaluate talent as talent. period. in the 1st and 2nd round I look for top guys. as you go deeper you have more question marks on them. as a gm/agent where do you focus your question marks? is it some injuries during his growth year (which no doubt cost him development years he needs to get back). is it personality questions? did he slack off? did he buy his own hype CHYCH (btw I feel sorry for the guy but THAT is a warning bell to me long term). Is it a dude who got distracted by rink bunnies (hey that's understandable during those ages). Was there stuff going on at home that needed police (touchy subject but to me I would put great weight into the home life and support network--imho they don't make it to a good nhl level if they don't have the support network)

ultimately the scouts and the GMs choose what issues they are willing to accept

after 20 FOR SURE, sometimes after 10!!!, you have guys with issues. skating, size, injuries, focus, iq...
what are you willing to accept.

to mean injuries is the first I can accept ESPECIALLY if the guy had a mad growth spurt and health freak issues.
in hockey I know they do the hand xray...the last bones to fuse are your fingers and toes. people think the body is this solid thing...its not when you are 16-17 and growing an inch or 2 inches in the year and gaining or not gaining mass. They don't call them awkward years for nothing.

same reason I will happily take a high iq bean pole with work ethic in the 1st if he has those skills to put him in that discussion.

Also I believe in BPA. Just because its the 2nd round doesn't mean I go for a guy who might make my fourth line. I still want top end talent. so if the confidence is there, that the skills are there, the personality is there, the mental is there...I take the highest ceiling definitely. I don't play it safe and pick a HF 5B prospect lol. yay! he achieves his ceiling level of barely hanging on to his nhl paycheck. yay!!!

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
It's the ultimate risk/reward pick.

I don't think too much of the second round in general, so why the hell not. If he were healthy, there is a legitimate chance this is a guy who goes early first round.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
It's the ultimate risk/reward pick.

I don't think too much of the second round in general, so why the hell not. If he were healthy, there is a legitimate chance this is a guy who goes early first round.

yup but let me put it this way too

you own the business. its your money
you tell me go get talent

in the 2nd round your odds are about...1 in 4/5 of being a real 200 game nhler. that's low standards and those are long odds.

now... all of those guys cost you assets, attention, money nd leverage.

you want to spend all that on a guy that MIGHT that is more likely to be a 3rd line plug than the guy who has 1st line dynamic ceiling (and showed it for years)? a guy I cant likely get good assets for in trade? a guy easily exposed in an expansion draft? an after thought?

or you want to invest in something that can return a 6-7-8 m guy.

I eliminate based on ego, lack of intelligence, poor home (sorry but I do...return on investment is #1), shyness (sorry but at this stage I think its best to let others pick the insecure quiet types), apologetic/beta types, etc. then judge by ceiling and current output.

to me...you always judge and draft based on BPA. highest ceiling. if he looks like a longer project send him to college. tell him to go and stay.

talent is everything imho. it has value. its coveted. if YOU don't need it...trade it for what you need.

there is very little risk with this guy. he goes to uni...he gets his development years back. he plays with some bunnies. he gets an easy degree. we keep an eye on him.

with his skills. this is perfect at 32.

Last edited:

Isaak16

The Universe Is Here
May 7, 2013
Alberta
Not sure if it has been referenced but the pick reminds me of the O'Reilly pick by Colorado in 2009.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Benson had a cyst on his tailbone. It's a non-hockey injury, 100% recovery.

He'll be fine. Love this pick at #32. He would have went top 15 if he didn't have to remove the cyst.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I was really hoping we'd grab Debrincat. Benson sounds like a good pick though. Gotta love a local kid that can play both sides of the ice.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Local boy :yo:

I remember seeing him featured on the local global news "athlete of the week" more than once a while back. Not that it means much but He was apparently putting up ridiculous numbers in his local league and they were kinda pumping him up as the next big thing. Also Heard he has had some injury problems but nothing too serious.

Hope everything works out and he can surprise some people and help the team for years to come :thumbu:

Welcome to the Oilers Tyler! :5:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Anyone know his midget numbers? I think they were something like 4-5 points a game or something ridiculous, or am I wrong?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
yes

how do Edmonton area hockey fans not know this guy?5 points a game? because he isn't on snet? seriously? this guy was a known commodity for years nationally. had people from the east looking at him at 14. had whl checking him at 14. insane.

growth=injurys=lower draft spot. still posts nearly point per game coming from injuries. my lawd. normally you post MORE points the more comfortable you get. dude never even got comfortable in 3 years and posts near ppg in draft year on mere sheer skill lol.

but seriously. anyone questioning this pick I know right away ESPEcIALLY if you are from Edmonton..you...do...not...pay any attention to the lower leagues of development.

Yup.

Make no mistake about it Benson is a blue chip prospect.

Dubois 1st year juniors:

54, 10-35-45

Brown 1st year juniors:

56, 17-26-43

McLeod 1st year juniors:

63, 12-17-29

Benson 1st year juniors:

62. 14-31-45

If Benson had been healthy this season there's every chance he'd have gone top 15. It's possible his injuries have de-railed his development a bit, but this is a damn good pick at 32.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Yup.

Make no mistake about it Benson is a blue chip prospect.

Dubois 1st year juniors:

54, 10-35-45

Brown 1st year juniors:

56, 17-26-43

McLeod 1st year juniors:

63, 12-17-29

Benson 1st year juniors:

62. 14-31-45

If Benson had been healthy this season there's every chance he'd have gone top 15. It's possible his injuries have de-railed his development a bit, but this is a damn good pick at 32.

Wow, his PPG were almost as high as Dubois's. Easily worth taking him 32nd. He'd have gone middle of round 1 if not for an injury unrelated to hockey.

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I think of Moroz, Musil and Pitlick and then look at Benson's stats and projections and my faith in new management grows

Musil's actually fairly comparable as far as risk/reward picks, go.

Much like Benson, he was an advanced 15 year old and was, at one time, projected to go much higher than the second round.

The big difference here is Benson had an injury plagued draft year that set him back, where as Musil just didn't progress like he was expected to.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I think this guy is a massive massive steal at 32. Tkachuk put up 107 in 57 on the best team/line in the CHL and I wouldn't bat an eye if Benson had done the same thing on that line/team if he played for London and was healthy the past 2 seasons. Without a doubt he is a top 10-15 skill level IMO. I also don't think his development should be that affected by the injuries. Look at a guy like Morgan Rielly. Missed almost his entire draft year and turned out fine.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think this guy is a massive massive steal at 32. Tkachuk put up 107 in 57 on the best team/line in the CHL and I wouldn't bat an eye if Benson had done the same thing on that line/team if he played for London and was healthy the past 2 seasons. Without a doubt he is a top 10-15 skill level IMO. I also don't think his development should be that affected by the injuries. Look at a guy like Morgan Rielly. Missed almost his entire draft year and turned out fine.

Rielly also had a major knee injury which could have had an effect on him moving forward. I would consider that a higher risk/reward than Benson, who's injury won't effect him going forward, the only risk is that the time missed hurt his development or confidence. I don't think this would be the car though as he by all accounts has great character. I see almost no risk here.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
The former caused the latter. He was overcompensating. Neither injury is career threatening. Which is why this whole injury stigma surrounding him is overblown.

Haha yeah i know i was trying to imply that but it's never bad to have it explicitly stated.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I believe Benson is a more SKILLED player than who we picked at #4. I believe if he had stayed healthy and continued to develop normally, he would have pushed for a top 5 spot in this draft. Sensational player and everyone raves about his determination and personality.

Incredible skill and incredible dedication to the game. Like I said earlier I wouldn't blink an eye if he becomes the second best player from this draft 5 years from now.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I believe Benson is a more SKILLED player than who we picked at #4. I believe if he had stayed healthy and continued to develop normally, he would have pushed for a top 5 spot in this draft. Sensational player and everyone raves about his determination and personality.

Incredible skill and incredible dedication to the game. Like I said earlier I wouldn't blink an eye if he becomes the second best player from this draft 5 years from now.

Benson was the best 14/15 year old hockey player I have ever personally seen with my own eyes.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Benson was the best 14/15 year old hockey player I have ever personally seen with my own eyes.

Yep by all accounts he was incredible. I never saw McDavid when he was that age but I saw Dan Catenacci play before one of our games and as you probably know, he was at that time probably the best player in Canada at that age group. Scary good too.

Catenacci didn't grow enough and other people caught up, but I am hoping Benson can continue improving and become a real good player for the Oilers.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Rielly also had a major knee injury which could have had an effect on him moving forward. I would consider that a higher risk/reward than Benson, who's injury won't effect him going forward, the only risk is that the time missed hurt his development or confidence. I don't think this would be the car though as he by all accounts has great character. I see almost no risk here.

Idont see any mental issues (over ego/ lack of confidence)

It is a fact that he lost basically two years of development due to nagging health issues and recovery). Still posted ppg basically, with all his issues.

But i would suggest he needs those two years back. He goes to college it is great. He loves the oilers. He isnt going to pull a holdout. He is zero risk to let go develop in the ncaa. I dont want him in the chl. Let him go the ncaa route, meet college bunnies, get into some trouble away from hockey mad canada, grow into a man and be ready for us to tap his shoulder in 2018-19.

He is a prize at 32. Very fortunate pick for us at thatposition,

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Idont see any mental issues (over ego/ lack of confidence)

It is a fact that he lost basically two years of development due to nagging health issues and recovery). Still posted ppg basically, with all his issues.

But i would suggest he needs those two years back. He goes to college it is great. He loves the oilers. He isnt going to pull a holdout. He is zero risk to let go develop in the ncaa. I dont want him in the chl. Let him go the ncaa route, meet college bunnies, get into some trouble away from hockey mad canada, grow into a man and be ready for us to tap his shoulder in 2018-19.

He is a prize at 32. Very fortunate pick for us at thatposition,

How did he lose two years? He lost like 3/4 of one year. He'll be fine in the CHL. I want him playing pro hockey in the AHL as soon as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad