Speculation: 2016 Deadline Sellapaloza Thread | 2/29 3PM | (Proposals, Blog Rumors, etc. here)

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Clarkson's contract is going to make the next 2 years difficult on JD and Jarmo

but...2018-2019, and 2019-2020 seasons are going to be a complete nightmare when some of these younger guys are deserving of bigger contracts.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Clarkson's contract is going to make the next 2 years difficult on JD and Jarmo

but...2018-2019, and 2019-2020 seasons are going to be a complete nightmare when some of these younger guys are deserving of bigger contracts.

We'll see what the cap looks like. Murray is only going to get so much (he's not a dman that puts up points), Jenner will get a lot, Wennberg will get a fair raise, JJ, Bourque, Hartnell, Campbell, Boll Tyutin, among others likely gone. I don't think they're going to go short term with Jones. I think we're ok

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
My question is:

-Was there just ZERO interest in our players or was it a valuation issue? For guys like Hartnell I get it to not move him unless it's the right deal - but was there any offers at all for Tyutin or anyone else?

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
So as it sits going into summer, GMJK has some decisions to make. Does he force a bridge deal on Jones? What is Karlsson worth? Who does he trade to make some space? Can he keep the young kids relatively intact?

I have a feeling we're going to lose a piece we don't want to give up in the offseason to solve the cap issues. Guess we'll see if a few months.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
My question is:

-Was there just ZERO interest in our players or was it a valuation issue? For guys like Hartnell I get it to not move him unless it's the right deal - but was there any offers at all for Tyutin or anyone else?

Sounds like it was the latter. Jarmo said his phone was quiet all day.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
A certain beat reporter began tweeting about Kevin Fiala, Nashville prospect. Out of the blue.

Yes that was dumb, but never, not once, did he say a trade was immanent, likely (at least with Nashville), or going to happen. Which was a far cry from Eklunreliable and whoever the other bozo who started the "it's a done deal as soon as the game is done" stuff.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
My question is:

Here's my guess. Teams wanted Hartnell for next to nothing. Looking back at the Gaborik trade to the Kings, we got Matt Frattin, a second-round pick and a conditional third-round pick to Columbus. I assume we got the conditional pick, can anyone recall who the Jackets drafted with those 2 picks we got? Frattin was obviously worthless.

I prefer keeping and paying Hartnell as opposed to giving him away for salary dump. I was hoping 2tin would be our salary dump.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Here's my guess. Teams wanted Hartnell for next to nothing. Looking back at the Gaborik trade to the Kings, we got Matt Frattin, a second-round pick and a conditional third-round pick to Columbus. I assume we got the conditional pick, can anyone recall who the Jackets drafted with those 2 picks we got? Frattin was obviously worthless.

I prefer keeping and paying Hartnell as opposed to giving him away for salary dump. I was hoping 2tin would be our salary dump.

The Tin Man. I like it

:laugh:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Did he not get rid of a worse contract and pick up a far more productive player in return? I don't have a problem with Hartnell's contract, he is paid commensurate with his production.

I agree with you that some of Jarmo's contracts are causing issues (Foligno and Dubinsky) but really the one's that are really putting this club in a pinch (Tyutin, Boll) belong to Howson.

Solving these problems is going to hurt. It will be interesting to see how everything shakes out and it doesn't cost this club somebody they want to keep.

Boll absolutely was not a Howson contract. And neither was Clarkson's, which is about ten times as onerous as anything Howson ever did.

Tyutin's paycheck has been a bargain considering both his general production and the marketplace as a whole; it's only stopped looking that way because this hasn't been a good year for him. If he rebounds next year to his normal self, then all is well. And if not, then it's another story.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
The bad contracts Jarmo was trying to move, Hartnell and Tyutin, he was not responsible for. He's on the hook for some humdingers, but not those particular two.

The second that Hartnell was acquired in a trade, Jarmo very much became responsible for that contract. No different than when Clarkson was acquired, it no longer became "Can't blame me for what Toronto did!"

The current front office is responsible for Campbell ($1.5), Boll ($1.7), Clarkson ($5.25 w/NTC and NMC), Bourque ($3.33), and McElhinney ($800K) in the dead weight department. That's a shade under $13 million, roughly 20% of the current cap that is completely useless.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Yes that was dumb, but never, not once, did he say a trade was immanent, likely (at least with Nashville), or going to happen. Which was a far cry from Eklunreliable and whoever the other bozo who started the "it's a done deal as soon as the game is done" stuff.

Ehhh he subtly tweeted about it during (or before?) the game on Saturday, but did not say "Hartnell to Nashville..."

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
No chance.

Agreed.
While Buyouts don't seem to be CBJ's style, if they can't dump Tyutin's salary (or a portion thereof to approach the cap savings if a buyout), then the buyout of his contract seems too straightforward to pass up this summer if CBJ needs room.

$8.75M left on 2 years. Tyutin would get paid 2/3 of that, but spread over 4 years $1,458,333 per year). Cap hit adjusted accordingly (with a twist after comparing actual salary in those 2 years to current cap hit of $4.5M in each year). Ultimate result is that CBJ would save $2.915M in actual cash, and would save free up approximately $3M in cap space for the next 2 years (albeit with cap hits in the following 2 years of roughly $1.5M). The cash savings are more than enough to cover ELC for Werenski at $1M plus bonuses (or Cody at $1M after raise), and if Werenski or Cody are in fact the replacement at that number (I don't know what Werenski's cap hit, with bonuses will be), CBJ might still have NET savings of approximately $2M on the cap for the next 3 (length of Werenski's ELC). I realize this goes against grain of not wanting to pay for someone to sit - but this seems like the worst case scenario if cap space needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad