Speculation: 2016 Deadline Sellapaloza Thread | 2/29 3PM | (Proposals, Blog Rumors, etc. here)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thank god for Leap year. We get an extra day to speculate. :laugh:

Here's a food for thought

http://spectorshockey.net/sunday-nhl-rumor-roundup-february-7-2016/

Fluto Shinzawa speculates on what the Boston Bruins might do if they decide to shop pending UFA right wing Loui Eriksson before the Feb. 29 trade deadline. One option could be peddling him to a team looking to clear salary for a defenseman with term remaining on his contract. Shinzawa’s suggested options include the Winnipeg Jets’ Tobias Enstrom ($5.75 million annually through 2018), Fedor Tyutin ($4.5 million per through 2018) or Jack Johnson (over $4.3 million per through 2018) of the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Anaheim Ducks’ Kevin Bieksa ($4 million per through 2018), the Calgary Flames’ Dennis Wideman ($5.25 million through 2017) or the Ottawa Senators’ Jared Cowen ($3.1 million cap through through 2017).

Possibly Tyutin? I don't see us moving Johnson for a rental.

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Hartnell out. Tyutin out. Boll possibly out. At least one Lake Erie Monster will be out. No one will take Bourque so he'll leave at the end of the season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Hartnell out. Tyutin out. Boll possibly out. At least one Lake Erie

The Los Angeles Kings are “trying hard” to land Dustin Byfuglien, but the Anaheim Ducks and Dallas Stars have entered the conversation.
SPECTOR’S NOTE: The Kings and Stars I can see, but not the Ducks, who are very deep on defense but could use a scoring forward, preferably a left wing. Yes, Byfuglien can also play on the wing but he’s most effective as a defenseman."]The Los Angeles Kings are “trying hard” to land Dustin Byfuglien, but the Anaheim Ducks and Dallas Stars have entered the conversation.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: The Kings and Stars I can see, but not the Ducks, who are very deep on defense but could use a scoring forward, preferably a left wing. Yes, Byfuglien can also play on the wing but he’s most effective as a defenseman.

Probably a non-starter for Anaheim but Hartnell for Shea Theodore and maybe a 2nd.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

I agree, there's no way Johnson's going with a UFA-to-be forward who will likely receive a large payday July 1st. Tyutin would be the better bet, and Boston can afford his cap hit. Boston does have a few first rounders that would be enticing to acquire, though.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

I do, not because it makes sense to do so but because it's shortsighted and in line with having no encompassing plan.

What I'd prefer to do is this. If the front office is convinced that Johnson isn't going to be part of the blueline moving forward, move him up to forward for a period of time. He has offensive instincts and could easily adapt to playing on the wing, and I have no idea why during the time that the team was dressing 11+7 that Johnson was never the guy moved up.

Probably a non-starter for Anaheim but Hartnell for Shea Theodore and maybe a 2nd.

Total non-starter for Anaheim. Even Hartnell for Theodore would be a tough sell on their GM.

I can see Hartnell ending up in Dallas for one of their defensemen. Their under-24 guys are Esa Lindell, Patrik Nemeth, Julius Honka, Jamie Oleksiak, Stephen Johns, Mattias Backman, Ludwig Bystrom, and Jyrki Jokipakka. John Klingberg is under 24 as well, but I don't think that's feasible.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Here are my predictions for the deadline based off of who the CBJ have been scouting

To Dallas: Fedor Tyutin
To CBJ: Ales Hemsky + Patrik Nemeth

-Dallas needs to shore up their defense for the playoff push if they want to contend with Chicago. Tyutin provides stability, as they can run with Goligoski-Klingberg, Oduya-Demers as a solid top-4 with Tyutin as a veteran 3rd pairing guy. Stars also relieve the glut of marginal 3rd pairing guys they have on the roster.
-CBJ takes on Hemsky to offset Tyutin's cap hit going the other way, but for one less year. And now, Hemsky can no longer be a "Jacket Killer" :sarcasm:. But he also provides NHL depth at RW for next season. And with Nemeth signed at 900K for next year, it makes it even easier for the CBJ to not qualify Prout in the offseason.

To Anaheim:Scott Hartnell + rights to Vladislav Gavrikov
To CBJ:Shea Theodore + '16 2nd Rd

-Anaheim desperately needs a top-6 LW, and they have a glut of young NHL defensemen (plus they have to re-sign Lindholm and Vatanen in the offseason). They add Gavrikov, who is a longer term project, but fills the void left by the departure of Theodore in their prospect pool.
-Shea Theodore will fit in perfectly with the CBJ's young core (especially on defense), as Murray-Jones, Johnson-Savard, Theodore-Goloubef look pretty solid as a group.

To Colorado:Kerby Rychel + Anaheim's 2nd Rd
To CBJ:Mikko Rantanen

-Swap of prospects, but Rychel is fitting in very well in the NHL and can help the Avs right now. They have been scouting the CBJ a lot recently. Rantanen provides the CBJ with top-6 RW prospect depth, and I think he has a higher ceiling than Rychel.

To Florida: Gregory Campbell
To CBJ: Marc Savard + '16 4th Rd

-Campbell provides veteran center depth, and could fit in well with Florida's fourth line. Jackets do the Panthers a favor and take back Savard's contract for the sole reason of placing him on LTIR so that they can re-sign all of their key RFA's in the offseason. Savard is owed roughly 500K next season in salary, so it's not nearly as close as his relative cap hit.

For going into next season, these moves would give the Jackets a cap hit of 54.5M before even placing Savard on LTIR. A lot of flexibility to sign Jenner, Murray, Jones, Karlsson.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
too many moves for me JD19. I'd love Shea, but Anaheim isnt gonna trade him for Hartnell and a meh prospect.

And I dont want to trade Rychel, hes looking better every single game.

I do like the other two trades though.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I do, not because it makes sense to do so but because it's shortsighted and in line with having no encompassing plan.

:laugh: The FO does have the frustrating tendency to zig when everyone else thinks they should zag.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Ah this yearly thread.

I think Hartnell for Theodore would be a good win-win trade.

Tyutin for scraps is likely.

Campbell for a 5th or something.

Boll likely stays

Don't see JJ moving yet. Also don't see Kerby going

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Here are my predictions for the deadline based off of who the CBJ have been scouting

To Dallas: Fedor Tyutin
To CBJ: Ales Hemsky + Patrik Nemeth

-Dallas needs to shore up their defense for the playoff push if they want to contend with Chicago. Tyutin provides stability, as they can run with Goligoski-Klingberg, Oduya-Demers as a solid top-4 with Tyutin as a veteran 3rd pairing guy. Stars also relieve the glut of marginal 3rd pairing guys they have on the roster.
-CBJ takes on Hemsky to offset Tyutin's cap hit going the other way, but for one less year. And now, Hemsky can no longer be a "Jacket Killer" :sarcasm:. But he also provides NHL depth at RW for next season. And with Nemeth signed at 900K for next year, it makes it even easier for the CBJ to not qualify Prout in the offseason.

Dallas would do this because Tyutin is signed beyond this year while Goligoski, Benn, and Demers are all pending UFAs; and because Tyutin has been healthy while Nemeth has missed a ton of time the last several years.

Dallas wouldn't do this because, even if they lose the pending UFAs, they have a nice pipeline of young defensemen who could step in. Nemeth right now is better than Tyutin, costs a lot less, and most of his injuries have been of the weird rather than chronic nature. Hemsky may look like he's pretty well done, but it's tough to say.

To Anaheim:Scott Hartnell + rights to Vladislav Gavrikov
To CBJ:Shea Theodore + '16 2nd Rd

-Anaheim desperately needs a top-6 LW, and they have a glut of young NHL defensemen (plus they have to re-sign Lindholm and Vatanen in the offseason). They add Gavrikov, who is a longer term project, but fills the void left by the departure of Theodore in their prospect pool.
-Shea Theodore will fit in perfectly with the CBJ's young core (especially on defense), as Murray-Jones, Johnson-Savard, Theodore-Goloubef look pretty solid as a group.

Anaheim does this because Hartnell is exactly what they need. They don't do it because Theodore was only drafted a couple years ago and, although they don't know exactly what they have, they like what they've seen so far. And tossing in the 2nd just unbalances the entire trade.

To Colorado:Kerby Rychel + Anaheim's 2nd Rd
To CBJ:Mikko Rantanen

-Swap of prospects, but Rychel is fitting in very well in the NHL and can help the Avs right now. They have been scouting the CBJ a lot recently. Rantanen provides the CBJ with top-6 RW prospect depth, and I think he has a higher ceiling than Rychel.

Colorado does it because there isn't enough of a gap between Rychel and Rantanen that the 2nd wouldn't be enough to sweeten the deal. They don't do it because Rantanen is 18 and has been tearing up the AHL, and there haven't been any widely-reported issues with him the way that there have been with Rychel.

-Campbell provides veteran center depth, and could fit in well with Florida's fourth line. Jackets do the Panthers a favor and take back Savard's contract for the sole reason of placing him on LTIR so that they can re-sign all of their key RFA's in the offseason. Savard is owed roughly 500K next season in salary, so it's not nearly as close as his relative cap hit.

I can actually see this taking place, but this isn't how LTIR works.

Florida would do this because it gives their very young team an injection of playoff experience and a fourth-line body in the event that someone goes down with an injury. They wouldn't do it because it would cost them Savard's possible LTIR cap hit, and it could put them on the hook for a cap recapture penalty.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think we might be placing too much value on Tyutin

There should be some value for Tyutin and Hemsky is no prize. Having said that this is just random stuff that he threw out that doesn't have any basis in any rumor - which means the pages and pages of fantasy stuff that has almost no chance will be talked about and we won't be able to see real rumors.

That's fine; I'll just have to visit rumor sites instead of actually discussing a potential real rumor here.

Yeah this team is going to take on 4 million to throw on LTIR so that can avoid 1.5 million for a player they can probably easy trade to someone at the deadline with no salary retention. Yeah, right - that's going to happen.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

For going into next season, these moves would give the Jackets a cap hit of 54.5M before even placing Savard on LTIR. A lot of flexibility to sign Jenner, Murray, Jones, Karlsson.

Florida already has a really good 4th line center who wears an A. Some people around here may remember him. I just bought a jersey with his name on it that I intend on wearing when the Panthers come to town.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

What I'd prefer to do is this. If the front office is convinced that Johnson isn't going to be part of the blueline moving forward, move him up to forward for a period of time. He has offensive instincts and could easily adapt to playing on the wing, and I have no idea why during the time that the team was dressing 11+7 that Johnson was never the guy moved up..

I've always said that JJ would make a better forward and Wennberg a better d-man. We'll never know though, because coaches don't experiment like that. Unless a player has played a position in junior levels it won't be tried in the NHL.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

The Bruins have Chara, Krug, and Seidenberg on he left side. Seidenberg is our Tyutin. Similar contracts. Although on the decline, Siedenberg is probably a level up in terms of current ability. He's recently shifted to the right side to find ice time for Joe Morrow. Also some chatter of shipping him out 1 for 1 for Wideman (RHD) before the suspension.

What would Columbus want for a Jack Johnson/Kyrby Rychel package? Bruins could have 3 first round picks in play if they flip Eriksson in a separate deal.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The Bruins have Chara, Krug, and Seidenberg on he left side. Seidenberg is our Tyutin. Similar contracts. Although on the decline, Siedenberg is probably a level up in terms of current ability. He's recently shifted to the right side to find ice time for Joe Morrow. Also some chatter of shipping him out 1 for 1 for Wideman (RHD) before the suspension.

What would Columbus want for a Jack Johnson/Kyrby Rychel package? Bruins could have 3 first round picks in play if they flip Eriksson in a separate deal.

I think if we were to move Jack it would take at least a first. Probably the biggest thing we are looking at (IMO) is opening up some salary down the road, so not likely taking back contracts unless they are expiring or maybe if they expire next season. Likely have to move some salary back to make it work for Boston - but probably key for CBJ is making sure it's a salary that isn't a long-term deal.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I don't see a point in moving JJ, he's on a sweet heart contract that will probably look even better going forward now that we don't need him to carry the load. I do believe we need to trade him before his next contract is due, as he will likely look to cash in, but I'd keep him as a mentor up until that contract year. Only exception for me is if they can get a top 10 pick for him, but even then I don't know, we need good veterans, can't trade them all.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
I'm no armchair GM but these deals being proposed seem way out of touch with reality. The only one close to me is the Hartnell-Theodore swap. I don't see us getting an additional pick though being realistic.

I value Theodore more than I do Hartnell at this point in his career (especially when you consider the state of this franchise as it stands) but I could definitely see Bob Murray thinking Hartnell might be the piece that puts the Ducks in serious contention for the Cup. It's a deal I think you have to do if you're in that spot. Perry and Getzlaf aren't going to play forever and now is the time to pull out all the stops.

EDIT: Then again...looking at the cap situation in Anaheim, I'm not seeing how this is feasible. Signing Vatanen, Lindholm, and Andersen (not to mention a much larger cap hit for Despres next year) will be difficult enough. Adding Hartnell's salary is just unrealistic, even in the sure situation where Perron walks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad