Speculation: 2016 Coyotes Off-Season Roster Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
I'd happily pay Okposo for a season. Next summer, the buyer's remorse will set in when there are better options available for a similar price. Then when youngsters need new contracts, we'll probably end up buying him out. He's one of those guys who'll get a five year deal, but by year three everyone will be sneering and wincing.

A little wincing and sneering can be a small price to pay for a free asset. As long as the term isn't too ridiculous of course.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Vancouver has contacted Boedker. Would love to see the contract he'd get from Benning.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Okposo kind of seems like a Boedker with more of a scoring touch. I wonder about him because he's mostly played with Tavares and that definitely will inflate your stats. I don't know if i'd want to pay him what he's going to be looking for, but maybe Chayka sees something in the advanced stats that we don't

I'd happily pay Okposo for a season. Next summer, the buyer's remorse will set in when there are better options available for a similar price. Then when youngsters need new contracts, we'll probably end up buying him out. He's one of those guys who'll get a five year deal, but by year three everyone will be sneering and wincing.

He is nowhere near like Boedker. Love to have him. He can replace Doan in a year or two. He is only 28 yo. and in his prime, and does not cost any assets.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
A little wincing and sneering can be a small price to pay for a free asset. As long as the term isn't too ridiculous of course.

Let me rephrase. Okposo is wildly inconsistent, I have mako concerns that his production is highly dependent on John Tavares, when he's not scoring he brings little to the table, he reminds me a lot of Mikkel Boedker in many ways, I'm certain he'll get a contract that vastly exceeds his worth to a team, whoever signs him will ultimately regret it, and I really hope that team is not us. Haha. I figured I'd be more specific.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
7-8 million aav? that would be risky. Excluding bringing some of the guys back from last year, I could see them spending $8 million in total aav next year for 2-3 players in FA. But on one guy, I would be nervous. They would pay $55 million in real salaries and 62-63 for the salary cap?

I would give him nowhere near that kind of money. More like 5.5/yr. I doubt he goes from 4.5 to 8 mil. Not with the cap situation the way it is.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Okposo is Boedker 2.0, no thanks. I'm also of the opinion we don't need to sign a premiere winger, we have domi and duke who are at the very least top 6 wingers. If we were a winger away from being a cup contender I'd see it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Let me rephrase. Okposo is wildly inconsistent, I have mako concerns that his production is highly dependent on John Tavares, when he's not scoring he brings little to the table, he reminds me a lot of Mikkel Boedker in many ways, I'm certain he'll get a contract that vastly exceeds his worth to a team, whoever signs him will ultimately regret it, and I really hope that team is not us. Haha. I figured I'd be more specific.

I would love to have a wildly inconsisent 60pt. winger.:) He is a first line winger, Boedker is not.

Okposo is Boedker 2.0, no thanks. I'm also of the opinion we don't need to sign a premiere winger, we have domi and duke who are at the very least top 6 wingers. If we were a winger away from being a cup contender I'd see it.

Okposo is nowhere like Boedker. Besides better production his advanced stats are off the charts compared to Boedker.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Highlights of Tippett's radio interview from earlier today. Paraphrasing:

- Domi and Strome told Tippett that Chychrun is a strong defender who made it impossible on both of them to get anything going offensively.

- The team tried every remote possibility to move up to 1 OA for Matthews. Toronto was not interested in moving the pick.

- Despite today's hoopla, Tippett says the team is close on an extension for Shane Doan.

- Team has spoken with a few different FAs and expects to be active in the market.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
I would love to have a wildly inconsisent 60pt. winger.:) He is a first line winger, Boedker is not.

Okposo is nowhere like Boedker. Besides better production his advanced stats are off the charts compared to Boedker.

I don't think they mean play style of Boedker I think they mean more a long the lines of leaving you wanting more like Boedker did. That's the way I took it anyways.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Morgan's article. Really an extension of Gambo's bit from a week or so ago. Basic synopsis is that the team wants Doan to take a lesser salary and he may not be interested in that. Who knows if there is anything to that though.

I tend to believe they're building a playoff contender that will be more to Doan's liking and, from there, we can fit in his salary.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Hey Shane, I'm not saying I'm going to give you a 750k salary as team ambassador after you retire, but I'm not not saying it either...

Problem solved.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It'd be really weird for Doan to want better players around him all his career and then, when in a position where a few million doesn't matter, hold out.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think they mean play style of Boedker I think they mean more a long the lines of leaving you wanting more like Boedker did. That's the way I took it anyways.

I understand, and I realize Okposo is invisible at times, but Boedkers inconsistency is legendary around this parts.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I understand, and I realize Okposo is invisible at times, but Boedkers inconsistency is legendary around this parts.
Boeds never had anyone close to Tavares as his center.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Being active in FA scares me. I don't want to see a bunch of average at best vets brought in. I'd rather see zero than what they did last year. Hopefully they spend all the available cash on one star and let the talented you fight for the rest of the spots.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It'd be really weird for Doan to want better players around him all his career and then, when in a position where a few million doesn't matter, hold out.

Yeah I think it's likely he's waiting to see who else we can bring in, then he'll sign. Doubtful he wants to handcuff the yotes financially.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Being active in FA scares me. I don't want to see a bunch of average at best vets brought in. I'd rather see zero than what they did last year. Hopefully they spend all the available cash on one star and let the talented you fight for the rest of the spots.
UFA season is fools gold. Good teams build thru the draft. Stay the course young Chayka!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Boeds never had anyone close to Tavares as his center.

It wouldn't matter, he DOES NOT SHOOT, or skates around the perimeter until he loses it. I like Boedker and I thought last year he might break out, but he returned to his old habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad