2016-2017 NHL Awards Voting Results

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
100% the votes should be public. These clowns that vote with their bias should be exposed. It's completely insane that professional sports writers are not all much closer on who the best players are in their category.
Just like the 3 voters who gave Laine 3 first place for the Calder and gave Matthews 3 second place votes for the Calder.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I was surprised Babcock didn't win. Him or McLellan. I thought Torts was the least deserving of the three largely because his team, coming into the season, was supposed to compete for a playoff spot. The other two teams weren't.

that was my glitch. no matter what people thought of Torts coming into the season, Columbus from what I remember was expected to do decent. Not set franchise records decent - but decent all the same. Last year's results was based on injuries, Bob forgetting how to goaltend and the like. this year they were relatively healthy, Bob won the flipping vezina so that = coach of the year?

Had McLellan had won it would have made sense simply based on that Edmonton was expected to do well I think but not be as dominate as they were off the hop and he always had them humming.

Babcock had seven NHL newbies in the line up all season, (the highest was at one point eleven). in my mind, eliminate all the 'talent' and what not, and in my mind. when you have that much inexperience in your line up, and you have them produce at a steady clip... i don't see how that doesn't win.

I also don't see how Babcock is ever going to win this award now LOL McLellan for that matter too.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
that was my glitch. no matter what people thought of Torts coming into the season, Columbus from what I remember was expected to do decent. Not set franchise records decent - but decent all the same. Last year's results was based on injuries, Bob forgetting how to goaltend and the like. this year they were relatively healthy, Bob won the flipping vezina so that = coach of the year?

Had McLellan had won it would have made sense simply based on that Edmonton was expected to do well I think but not be as dominate as they were off the hop and he always had them humming.

Babcock had seven NHL newbies in the line up all season, (the highest was at one point eleven). in my mind, eliminate all the 'talent' and what not, and in my mind. when you have that much inexperience in your line up, and you have them produce at a steady clip... i don't see how that doesn't win.

I also don't see how Babcock is ever going to win this award now LOL McLellan for that matter too.
Considering that at the end of the season Columbus finished 3rd in the Metropolitan Division after winning 16 straight, you think they should have finished no worse than 2nd in it after all those wins. In fact one could argue without those wins they might miss the playoffs all together based on their play for the remainder of the season and after the winning streak ended.

Also as I said before since Tortorella had previously won the Jack Adams in 2004, I thought based on that maybe the voters would have thought since he has one already Babcock would finally win it, since it's the one thing in the NHL he has not won.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Uh, not quite the same thing there.
When Matthews ends up with 164/167 first place votes along with Laine ending up with 3 first place votes and Matthews getting 3 second place votes, something is wrong and it's obvious those voters had an agenda based on that. For all the talk about how great Zach Werenski was being a rookie defenseman he didn't get any first place votes.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
When Matthews ends up with 164/167 first place votes along with Laine ending up with 3 first place votes and Matthews getting 3 second place votes, something is wrong and it's obvious those voters had an agenda based on that. For all the talk about how great Zach Werenski was being a rookie defenseman he didn't get any first place votes.

That's nothing. 24 voters actually voted Ovechkin to the 1st all star team.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That's nothing. 24 voters actually voted Ovechkin to the 1st all star team.
I say Matthews almost sweeping all the first place Calder votes is more of a story than Ovechkin getting 24 votes for a fictional All Star team. If anything you can say the votes for Ovechkin was based on his reputation, where as the 3 first place votes for Laine and 3 second place votes for Matthews seem to be out of spite.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No issue with the votes for Laine. Now what I would've done, but there far worse things in the ballots, like, somebody thinking that Torey Krug was better than two of Karlsson, Burns and Hedman.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
I love the NHL Awards show. It's like watching a horrible high school production.
When they wheeled out Foley and McPhee behind that desk I literally EL-OH-EL'd.
It's like they hired Michael Scott to purposely make it as uncomfortably dooshey as possible.

Still, it's better than the In Living Color dance party they threw in '95 of the roller blading models, with hockey pants on (which looked like ginormous diapers) from a few years ago.

It always makes me laugh when they try to make the event this huge party, considering the athletes that drive the sport have personalities like a wet cardboard box.
When I have trouble falling asleep, I listen to an endless loop of Jonathan Toews interviews. Works every time.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
That's far, far from the worst here. Someone voted Ovechkin 2nd for the Hart, McDavid 1st for the Selke...

Someone voted Krug 2nd for Norris and Marchand/Atkinson as centermen for 1st team all-star........

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I say Matthews almost sweeping all the first place Calder votes is more of a story than Ovechkin getting 24 votes for a fictional All Star team. If anything you can say the votes for Ovechkin was based on his reputation, where as the 3 first place votes for Laine and 3 second place votes for Matthews seem to be out of spite.

There are a lot of stupid votes every year, so 3 votes for Laine is hardly anything to get upset over. Shea Weber got a 1st place Norris vote.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No issue with the votes for Laine. Now what I would've done, but there far worse things in the ballots, like, somebody thinking that Torey Krug was better than two of Karlsson, Burns and Hedman.
The 3 first place votes for Laine and 3 second place votes for Matthews also stand out because Matthews didn't get any third, fourth or fifth place votes.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There are a lot of stupid votes every year, so 3 votes for Laine is hardly anything to get upset over. Shea Weber got a 1st place Norris vote.
I just think when Matthews gets 164/167 first place votes, 3 second place votes, along with 0 third, fourth and fifth place votes, him not sweeping all first place votes stands out.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I just think when Matthews gets 164/167 first place votes, 3 second place votes, along with 0 third, fourth and fifth place votes, him not sweeping all first place votes stands out.

It's not like he blew Laine away... 5 more points in 9 more games, I can't blame anyone for voting Laine 1st if that's what they think. I'm actually surprised Matthews won by so much, even though he was my pick as well.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008

That's self-defeating logic.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Have to admit it's a little disappointing to see how far away Sullivan was from the Adams. Torts and Babcock I'll admit have as good a case, but if you're going to say, with all the quality man games Pitt lost yet they still finished within a couple points of the president's cup, that it's Crosby/Malkin, aren't you saying one/both is actually the Hart winner? If not, then the coaching was pretty darn good. But to be 6th or 8 th or whatever?

Malkin the 6th best center? And agreed that Crosby and Lady Byng probably don't go together, especially not first place votes this season.

Yes votes need to be made public. Baseball is going to it next year for HoF, hopefully the awards as well. Justify your vote.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
How exactly did McDavid get the Hart over Sid??

Was it because he took Edmonton of out the basement and into the playoffs?? Or because of the 100 point season??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad