2016-2017 Blues Prospects Part IV

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
what? he's having a resurgence? his "resurgence" is that he's playing well enough to be a 4th liner instead of being an AHL player or Europe-bound. He's never going to be a middle 6 player, unless you consider "playing on the 3rd line because other people are injured and we don't have any other options but he's probably gonna score 10 total points or less the entire season" to qualify as a middle 6 player

He has 5 points in 12 games. That is pretty darn good for a guy we all written off as dead a buried. Frankly, he has looked the best he has looked since he showed up with his bags in hand a couple of years ago.

I don't know that he is the answer or that he wont suddenly go back to wrap around king. But there are a lot of improvements in his game that I have noticed, including winning board battles. It is a positive in this season of negatives.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
He has 5 points in 12 games. That is pretty darn good for a guy we all written off as dead a buried. Frankly, he has looked the best he has looked since he showed up with his bags in hand a couple of years ago.

I don't know that he is the answer or that he wont suddenly go back to wrap around king. But there are a lot of improvements in his game that I have noticed, including winning board battles. It is a positive in this season of negatives.

He's played better but he's still another 3rd line player. Maybe Army is trying to set a record with how many 3rd line players can be on any roster at the same time.

The top 6 is the problem but that's not being addressed

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Draft status is basically everything until a player gets to the NHL, unless he lights up the WJC or KHL.

Walman seems underrated by everyone. Our NHL defensive depth, Dunn and Schmaltz seems to have made most of our own fanbase oblivious to him. I haven't seen enough of him to be as high on him as you are, but he certainly deserves a lot more recognition that he gets.

Dunn
Walman
Mikkola

Not a bad potential left side for our AHL team next season.

Walman is Jake LaMotta's nephew. That's enough for me.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
He's played better but he's still another 3rd line player. Maybe Army is trying to set a record with how many 3rd line players can be on any roster at the same time.

The top 6 is the problem but that's not being addressed

How can you not root for the guy, Spektre? He was a top ten draft choice who failed in Edmonton. He came here in a trade for the popular David Perron and failed to equal him. The fans were on his case right from the start of the season, in which he didn't make the opening night line-up. He went to the minors and put himself back on the radar, as Armstrong put it. And now, here he is, a contributor. He didn't quit, he didn't go back to Europe, he didn't complain (as far as I know).

I don't care how many third-line players we have. Magnus has distinguished himself. We need more people like him.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
How can you not root for the guy, Spektre? He was a top ten draft choice who failed in Edmonton. He came here in a trade for the popular David Perron and failed to equal him. The fans were on his case right from the start of the season, in which he didn't make the opening night line-up. He went to the minors and put himself back on the radar, as Armstrong put it. And now, here he is, a contributor. He didn't quit, he didn't go back to Europe, he didn't complain (as far as I know).

I don't care how many third-line players we have. Magnus has distinguished himself. We need more people like him.

I think I would take a guy who will make a difference for us on the scoreboard as opposed to a guy that worked hard to become a defensive third liner, if that.

That isn't to say that there is no need for a player like Paajarvi for some other team, but I don't see how he makes sense for this one.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Pajaarvi is not good and should not be in the lineup except when filling in for injuries. I don't think it's a case of people not liking him, he's just not a good hockey player

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Pajaarvi is not good and should not be in the lineup except when filling in for injuries. I don't think it's a case of people not liking him, he's just not a good hockey player

I've said this about him before, any player who makes it to the NHL/AHL is a talented player plain and simple. But what where Pääjärvi struggles is elevating his game. There's no other gear, he hasn't adjusted anything. Top level defenseman know how to shut him down 90% of the time. So while I agree he should mainly be used as a fill in, I can't say he's a bad player.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I've said this about him before, any player who makes it to the NHL/AHL is a talented player plain and simple. But what where Pääjärvi struggles is elevating his game. There's no other gear, he hasn't adjusted anything. Top level defenseman know how to shut him down 90% of the time. So while I agree he should mainly be used as a fill in, I can't say he's a bad player.

To be fair, this has been absolutely true... until 2017. He was very good before he got sent down last fall (so Rattie could enjoy the Scottrade pressbox tacquitos). Then the injury came, and he wasn't able to show much in the AHL. However, the Berube effect is strong with Paajarvi right now. He looks better than usual. His quotes in Lou Korac's blog indicate he's aware of his need to "elevate" his game. We'll see if he's able to do that over the next 20 games and earn himself some time. If Berube is the guy that finally gets Paajarvi to fulfill his potential, we've got to do anything and everything to keep him around.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
While certainly not a top 6 player, I could see Magnus as a permanent fixture on the 4th line. Upshall may not be around, and we could lose one of Reaves/Brodziak at the ED. Combine these factors with the fact that Barbashev should be in the top 6, I think there might be a spot for him, without blocking anybody.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I mean, sure, but have you watched enough Sarnia games to be able to tell that he's "neglecting fundamental habits"? Or are you just assuming that because he's flashy that he isn't also working on his all-around game? OR are you just going off of what the scouting reports have implied about him? It almost seems like you're arguing that he's too good and that is going to make him bad. Which doesn't make sense at all.
I can answer that for you: they are assuming it.

There's always people that have to hate on nice goals.

I love players who will ocsassionally do something like this rather than making the boring, safe play every single time. Every Championship winning team has a highly skilled player who takes risks and scores flashy goals. I mean ****, Tarasenko does it. You need it sometimes to win games. Being a purely conservative team isn't a good strategy.

I agree with Robb. It was fun to see that play, but a player can develop lazy habits when they out-talent their opposition and neglect some of the more fundamental things necessary to be successful in the NHL. Learn it now, or learn it later. I'd prefer he learns it now.
Well yeah but that isn't realistic.

That's why rookies make mistakes and have a lot to learn in the NHL. Because expecting an 18-year old to learn everything now doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Whatever, MPS has been one of the best 3-4 forwards every game since his callup

giphy.gif

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Well, there is the difference, Sir Paste. You have judged him, and found him unworthy.

I haven't convinced myself I've seen his best, and I'm rooting for him.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Well, there is the difference, Sir Paste. You have judged him, and found him unworthy.

I haven't convinced myself I've seen his best, and I'm rooting for him.

Well it's not that I'm not rooting for him, I root for everyone on the Blues because I want them to succeed. But do I think he is suddenly going to become a different player at this point in his career? I do not

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
While certainly not a top 6 player, I could see Magnus as a permanent fixture on the 4th line. Upshall may not be around, and we could lose one of Reaves/Brodziak at the ED. Combine these factors with the fact that Barbashev should be in the top 6, I think there might be a spot for him, without blocking anybody.

If he stays consistent I really have no issue with him being used in the 3rd/4th line. Really hope Brodziak/Reaves aren't taken in the expansion draft, they've proven to be able to work with just about any prospect/depth player we throw in on that line. Even Barbashev didn't look to be "wasting" his time on his 4th line shifts.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Hmm I wonder if there is any correlation between this and our 4 game losing streak....

:laugh:

Pajaarvi could be a future Upshall replacement, and that's all I'm really expecting of him if we're lucky. since we didn't trade Upshall at the deadline, I'm assuming management isn't sold on that at all yet - as they shouldn't be.

If Pajaarvi turns into a middle six player, we won't be able to keep Berube unless he replaces Yeo. But seriously, what he has done is really impressive, and I look forward to going to a lot of AHL playoff games because that's a team that has a chance at a cup this year.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
It was Tage Thompson(UCONN) vs Nolan Stevens(Northeastern) tonight. 3-1 win for Northeastern, Stevens had a goal. Thompson with six shots on net.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
To be fair, this has been absolutely true... until 2017. He was very good before he got sent down last fall (so Rattie could enjoy the Scottrade pressbox tacquitos). Then the injury came, and he wasn't able to show much in the AHL. However, the Berube effect is strong with Paajarvi right now. He looks better than usual. His quotes in Lou Korac's blog indicate he's aware of his need to "elevate" his game. We'll see if he's able to do that over the next 20 games and earn himself some time. If Berube is the guy that finally gets Paajarvi to fulfill his potential, we've got to do anything and everything to keep him around.

After seeing tonight's performance, I'd rather have Berube coaching The Blues, than Yeo. But, Berube coaching The Blues' AHL affiliate, and developing their young prospects for 3-4 years before that would be okay, too.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
:laugh:

Pajaarvi could be a future Upshall replacement, and that's all I'm really expecting of him if we're lucky. since we didn't trade Upshall at the deadline, I'm assuming management isn't sold on that at all yet - as they shouldn't be.

If Pajaarvi turns into a middle six player, we won't be able to keep Berube unless he replaces Yeo. But seriously, what he has done is really impressive, and I look forward to going to a lot of AHL playoff games because that's a team that has a chance at a cup this year.

Speaking of Berube working wonders. I think this Sanford kid should be in the AHL the rest of this season and possibly next season.

This year with Berube running the show, it seems like nearly all Blues prospects in Chicago have made tremendous strides. Paajarvii, Agostino, Dunn, Megan, etc all seem to be progressing quickly. I'd like to see Sanford improve and get top ice time in the AHL before coming back up in a scoring role.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Speaking of Berube working wonders. I think this Sanford kid should be in the AHL the rest of this season and possibly next season.

This year with Berube running the show, it seems like nearly all Blues prospects in Chicago have made tremendous strides. Paajarvii, Agostino, Dunn, Megan, etc all seem to be progressing quickly. I'd like to see Sanford improve and get top ice time in the AHL before coming back up in a scoring role.

Why do people keep thinking Megan is a Blues prospect? The guy is 26 and has been a career AHLer, we need to stop acting like he's part of the Blues future.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Why do people keep thinking Megan is a Blues prospect? The guy is 26 and has been a career AHLer, we need to stop acting like he's part of the Blues future.

same with Paajarvi and Agostino. Basically Dunn, Schmaltz, and Barbashev are our only skaters who have been with the Wolves this year that have any hope to turn into impact players in the future.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
same with Paajarvi and Agostino. Basically Dunn, Schmaltz, and Barbashev are our only skaters who have been with the Wolves this year that have any hope to turn into impact players in the future.

I would say Blais is a dark horse to make the NHL. He's an intelligent player and has some very solid offensive abilities as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad