2016-2017 Blues Prospects Part IV

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Good read, he seems to have a great attitude so gotta love that, excited to see what he can do this season

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Good to hear he will be put into a better position to succeed this year, it sure seems like rushing Euros to the AHL at 18-19 has rarely worked. He was such a good player at the CHL level and is still only 20, so I am still very high on him. Still want to see him and Jaskin on a line together in STL.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Good to hear he will be put into a better position to succeed this year, it sure seems like rushing Euros to the AHL at 18-19 has rarely worked. He was such a good player at the CHL level and is still only 20, so I am still very high on him. Still want to see him and Jaskin on a line together in STL.
Yea he just needs time, I'm a big supporter of the "slow growth" when it comes to prospects. Most players aren't nearly ready when rushed.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Looks like Kyrou is off to a good start with Sarnia. I'm expecting him to have a great season.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Tanner Kaspick scored a nice short handed goal last night. I'd post it if I wasn't on my phone. Brandon Wheat Kings posted it on their Twitter page and Darren Dreger retweeted it.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Yea he just needs time, I'm a big supporter of the "slow growth" when it comes to prospects. Most players aren't nearly ready when rushed.

This is even more true about big-bodied forwards. They usually take longer to grow into their bodies, and get used to playing using that body size (skating, using their body weight for leverage, fighting for position, etc). I think that Barbashev will be much more comfortable this year than last, and each year for the next few years, as he gains strength and gets used to his new weight in his skating stride.

He's a lock to be a high-quality 3rd Liner. But, I expect him to spend most of his career as an NHL average level 2nd Liner.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
It's good to see that I am being proven wrong about Tage. I hope it continues.

In other news, Kyrou is off to a good start for Sarnia last I checked. He had 6 points in 3 games.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
It's good to see that I am being proven wrong about Tage. I hope it continues.

In other news, Kyrou is off to a good start for Sarnia last I checked. He had 6 points in 3 games.

Kyrou also had 2 more assists last night, so 8 points in 4 games.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Is 1.5-2.0ppg expected for a skilled player that is draft+?

In the CHL, for forwards, yes.
Sarnia is known for playing a very defensively oriented game, so typically their players have had lower point totals in recent years (Zacha).
With Zacha gone, I imagine Kyrou is in the top 6 (him and Konecny as the two centers).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The draft+ year also isn't as indicative of success as some think, but great starts nonetheless.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Is 1.5-2.0ppg expected for a skilled player that is draft+?
You mean in his draft year+1?

It generally depends on the league. Most guys with top 6 upside (in terms of raw skill) will be putting up at least a PPG in the CHL their draft year, with allowances perhaps if they are on an unusually bad team, battling an injury, etc. You would ideally like to see them improve on their draft numbers every year thereafter.

Even guys with 3rd line skills can be putting up well over a PPG in the CHL by their draft year+2 due to simply being older (and thus more developed) than most of their competition. Someone like Bryan Bickell is a good example. Brouwer put up 102 points in 72 WHL games his draft year+2 (after putting up 47 points in 71 games his draft year+1), and I wouldn't necessarily call him a particularly "skilled" player.

If they are going from a junior league to the top men's league (in RUS/SWE/FIN), or the USHL to college, they could easily be under a PPG. Doesn't really mean that much since they're generally playing against much harder competition than someone the same age in the CHL.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad