Proposal: 2016-17 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Genuinely blows my mind. If he were making 4.5 sure.

If the interest is "take 2.5 of his cap, and we'll give you P.A Parenteau and a 4th", maybe.

Yeah, we have to be real careful here. Don't want to attach any prospects of note or retain. Straight trade or wait imo.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Philly tells you to go **** yourself

I disagree, they take that and run. Del Zotto has had a rough season and is a free agent after this year. He's suffered from multiple injuries and been a healthy scratch at times. He might not even be re-signed after the season. Read has 10 points this season, and unlike Ryan who has a resume of high production to backup the idea that this year is just a slump, Read has scored the same amount of points in his last two seasons combined as Ryan scored last year. With that in mind, that proposal basically boils down to trading down a round in the draft for Ryan.

Maybe the hitch might be Ottawa retaining a portion of Ryan's contract, but if Philly wanted a top 6 forward, they'd take that trade and run. That's basically Ottawa giving Ryan away for a cap dump, a reclamation project on defense, and trading up into the second round from the third.

(I don't see Ottawa trading Boro, but that's not relevant to the basis of the proposal)

I would be extremely disappointed if Ottawa made that trade with PHI.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Many teams have there own issues with there owners and know they would not be able to take 100% of Ryans contract.

only a few teams have a budget as tight as ours, and none of those teams have retained a contract in any deal so i doubt any team entering negotiations expecting ottawa to retain on the deal.

ottawa maybe asked to take on a contract but i see it as a reverse phaneuf deal. In the sense that we saw phaneuf holding value and we traded a couple of contracts for him but they were also a lot shorter than phaneuf. Ryan has 6 years left (if you include this one) we could make due with a contract that is a few years shorter as long as we get value in the deal.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
only a few teams have a budget as tight as ours, and none of those teams have retained a contract in any deal so i doubt any team entering negotiations expecting ottawa to retain on the deal.

ottawa maybe asked to take on a contract but i see it as a reverse phaneuf deal. In the sense that we saw phaneuf holding value and we traded a couple of contracts for him but they were also a lot shorter than phaneuf. Ryan has 6 years left (if you include this one) we could make due with a contract that is a few years shorter as long as we get value in the deal.

There was interest in Phaneuf from multiple teams but Toronto's unwillingness to retain prevented him from being moved.

Keep in mind, perception related to the cap changes year to year. Phaneuf was being traded in the middle of the "oh no the sky is falling the Canadian dollar" stinks phase. Now there's a whole new challenge coming up for GMs trying to improve their team in the form of the expansion draft and how it will effect their ability to keep their teams competitive as well as compete for free agents or players via trade. This might make a GM on a short leash looking to do anything to get a boost more likely to take on a contract like Ryan's. Especially if they think they won't be able to do anything this upcoming off season with the extra cap space.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2018/caphit/all/forwards/ufa

Look at those top free agents. Outside of guys who are nearly 40, between 31 teams the options for top 6 forwards in Ryan's age group who can be mid/long term solutions for teams are only Oshie, and Radulov.

Now consider Vegas coming in and screwing with everybody by taking a solid top 9 player at least or top 4 defender from each team, and 70 million in cap space being partially redistributed throughout the league. I can easily see how teams would look at Ryan as one of their best possible choices to improve their top 6.

Now, I might be wrong and we might have to settle for a trade where we are basically giving Ryan away for "nothing", but if Dorion is ever going to sell Ryan, short of him having a 30 goal comeback season, just based on the landscape of the NHL this might be the best possible time to trade him.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
What could we get for

Ryan Could get something of value
Lazar A Pick, no higher than a 4th
HammondA low pick, or maybe a 6 + 7

Ryan is the only player that can generate something serviceable for us. The other 2 just aren't good enough to really warrant getting another player. Lazar may be able to get us another player, but I doubt they'd be any good.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Ryan is the only player that can generate something serviceable for us. The other 2 just aren't good enough to really warrant getting another player. Lazar may be able to get us another player, but I doubt they'd be any good.

Lazar could 100% return a 3rd rounder.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Burrows is a UFA after this year. He's been pretty good this year, actually. Sbisa is an overpaid #5 DMan, but we need to take on some salary if we're trading Ryan. Also, if/when we lose a D to Vegas, he would help with depth.

I agree, it's not an amazing trade, but it gives us 3 NHL players. I'd actually love to bring back Burrows on a cheap 4th line contract, but maybe that's just me :laugh: Burrows - Lazar - Pyatt could be a good 4th line.

Rather move Hammond than Condon... but that's nitpicking, and we'd probably end up having to waive one of Condon or newly acquired Markstrom as soon as Andy returned.

But yeah, I'd do that deal. Two years of Sbisa would suck, particularly when he's making 4 mil next year.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Rather move Hammond than Condon... but that's nitpicking, and we'd probably end up having to waive one of Condon or newly acquired Markstrom as soon as Andy returned.

But yeah, I'd do that deal. Two years of Sbisa would suck, particularly when he's making 4 mil next year.

Yeah, I was weighing the options of adding Hammond or Condon, but as you said - we would likely lose Condon anyways, and I think Vancouver would much rather Condon than Hammond in return.

As for Sbisa, he gets a worse rep than he deserves. He's a fine bottom pairing DMan, he's just paid like a #3 or 4 (which, obviously, makes people expect more of him). When you divorce his salary from your expectations of him, he's a lot less detestable lol

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

Its not a budget thing its owners hate taking bad contracts its the reason Dion did not go to Detroit they wanted the Leafs to take 25% of his salary they said no.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I disagree, how many players who are pointless in 18 games have got a 3rd rounder before?

To be fair, I'm sure most GM's would look to a larger sample than 18 games to evaluate a player, though he didn't score any points in the last dozen or so games last season either,

All that said, I think you'll always find teams willing to give a shot at a guy like Lazar. Heck, Niederreiter got Clutterbuck and a 3rd and his last NHL season before the trade he had 1 point in 51 games, though he spend the entire season after that in the AHL before getting traded and produced at a level similar to a guy like Puempel at the same age (20). So just to play devils advocate, Niederreiter had 3 pts in 64 games across 2 seasons (age 18 and 19). It was at age 21 where he finally had some degree of success.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
To be fair, I'm sure most GM's would look to a larger sample than 18 games to evaluate a player, though he didn't score any points in the last dozen or so games last season either,

All that said, I think you'll always find teams willing to give a shot at a guy like Lazar. Heck, Niederreiter got Clutterbuck and a 3rd and his last NHL season before the trade he had 1 point in 51 games, though he spend the entire season after that in the AHL before getting traded and produced at a level similar to a guy like Puempel at the same age (20). So just to play devils advocate, Niederreiter had 3 pts in 64 games across 2 seasons (age 18 and 19). It was at age 21 where he finally had some degree of success.

Lazar certainly has less value than Niederreiter did. The thought with him was he wasn't given much of a chance to succeed at the NHL level, pretty much 60 games as a teenager on the 4th line, playing under 10 minutes many nights. When he did play in the AHL he was great, leading his team in goals and 2nd in points as a 20 year old. Great size and picked high in the draft too. Lazar has always been viewed as a potential 3rd line player who has 2.5 times as much NHL experience with hardly any production and having struggled many nights. Even in his limited AHL time he failed to produce.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Nash for Bobby straight up? Maybe 1M retained on Ryan.

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Smith-Brassard-Nash
MacArthur-Pageau-Dzingel

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Nash for Bobby straight up? Maybe 1M retained on Ryan.

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Smith-Brassard-Nash
MacArthur-Pageau-Dzingel

Why would NYR do this

Nash is the better player now and they're trying to win

Also, not a chance we retain on anything let alone a contract until 2022

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Deadline Deal

To Winnipeg: 2017 1st rd pick, Lazar C, Claesson LD & Hammond G
To Ottawa: Blake Wheeler RW

- Wheeler is a 30 yr old RWer making $5.3 million with 2 more yrs on this contract. In 42 games this yr he has 32 pts (11 goals) & had 78 pts (26 goals) last yr. His 32 pts would be tied with Karlsson for most pts on the Sens right now. Winn seems to be out of the playoff picture at this point & may want to unload some salary this yr. Winn does seem to have some aging vets at forward & defence & could maybe use some more youth. This would be a deadline deal or maybe even better after the expansion draft.

Hoffman - Brassard - Wheeler
Dzingel - Turris - Ryan (MacArthur LW)
Smith - Pageau - Stone (White C)
Pyatt - Kelly - Neil - all three could be gone next season, replaced by younger & cheaper players
Robinson - Paul - Bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad