Line Combos: 2016-17 Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Most of his career, Plekanec has had way more assists than Goals.
Same for Radulov over the last 10 years.

Paciorrety and Galchenyuk are shooter. Pair them with Radulov.
Or put and another winger (Shaw or Lehkonen) with Galchenyuk and Radulov.
Paciorrety-Plek-Gallagher line could be just fine.

Plekanec scores 20+ goals almost every season. He doesn't do that by not shooting.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
Looks about right. That 3rd line looks real small, really question it contributing in post season. Prefer Eller by a mile.

Sub in McCarron for DD. More size, good on faceoffs...slower, less offense but Im tired of DD & want him gonzo....

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Plekanec scores 20+ goals almost every season. He doesn't do that by not shooting.
Yes, seven seasons with 20+ goals (if you pro-rate 2012-13 pace)
Career: 216G-337A so roughly 3 assists per 2 goals.
Edit: 21G-33A per season (54 points like he did this year but only 14G feeding/centering Paciorrety and Gallagher this season).

It is not like Patches: 174G-170A, Galcheyuk 72G-88A or Gallagher 77G-79A who are scorers.
All these guys are at or near 1G for every assist.

Radulov in KHL 169G-323A in 391 GP. So for every goal he has 2 assist.
Even in 2012-13, the year he played with Datsyuk, he did 22G-46A.
So it is not because he lacks someone to feed him, he does get 2 assist per goal.
A scorer but even more a playmaker.

BTW, that is 1.26 ppg and using .80 to translate KHL to NHL you get 1 ppg.
Roughly 27G-55A.:scared::wave::banana:

This why I expect Radulov to feed the scorers on his line.
I want to see him with Paciorrety and Galchenyuk.

Plekanec can feed Gallagher.

But Size/Grit wise, you would want Lehkonen-Plekanec-Radulov if Lehkonen is ready because Lehkonen is a lighter scorer (1G for each assist) and Plek can also score.
That line could very well have three 20 goals scorer while the first line would have two 30 goals scorer and Gallagher could easily get 20+ (if not 30 goals, pace of 34 before injury and 26 after injury).

So with Lehkonen:
Paciorrety-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Plekanec-Radulov​

And without Lehkonen:
Paciorrety-Galchenyuk-Radulov
XXX-Plekanec-Gallagher​
Where XXX can change: Shaw, Ghetto, Carr, Hudon with Ghetto being the most probable candidate (pace of 32 points last season).

Last edited:

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
If there are no other changes, I see no way to have Desharnais as #3C and not have a technical smurf 3rd line. After losing Weise and Eller we are very small once again up front. This actually makes the most sense to me, and I've tried everything... not trying to troll.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Radulov
Andrighetto - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Carr - Plekanec - Shaw
Byron - Danault - Mitchell
(Flynn, Terry)

PP1: Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov - Markov - Weber
PP2: Desharnais/Shaw - Plekanec - Gallagher - Beaulieu - Petry

InSaNeQT

Feb 7, 2012
Therrien so smart

Pacioretty Galchenyuk Gallagher
DD. Plekanec. Radulov
Carr. Danault. Shaw
Byron Mitchell. Andrigetto

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Looks about right. That 3rd line looks real small, really question it contributing in post season. Prefer Eller by a mile.

I still think Danault will be in that role and DD will be someplace else.

MB did say Eller became expendable with the arrival of Danault. So that gives you the expectation on Danault. Mid-term we expect Danault to produce about 30 points in a season as a bottom 6 player.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Most of his career, Plekanec has had way more assists than Goals.
Same for Radulov over the last 10 years.

Paciorrety and Galchenyuk are shooter. Pair them with Radulov.
Or put and another winger (Shaw or Lehkonen) with Galchenyuk and Radulov.
Paciorrety-Plek-Gallagher line could be just fine.

....most players tend to get more assists than goals anyway. Even if they are/were more goalscorers than playmakers.

Jeremy Roenick is such an example -- never was Top-10 in assists at any point in his whole career (twice for goals), yet about 200 more assists than goals.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
MB did say Eller became expendable with the arrival of Danault. So that gives you the expectation on Danault. Mid-term we expect Danault to produce about 30 points in a season as a bottom 6 player.

I don't think 30 points is a reach for Danault. He was on pace for 20 last season with us as a rookie.

Andrighetto and Carr are probably more offensively gifted wingers than Eller typically has had in that role. Out-Producing Eller is a very reachable outcome for Danault this season if he's used in the same role.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't think 30 points is a reach for Danault. He was on pace for 20 last season with us as a rookie.

Andrighetto and Carr are probably more offensively gifted wingers than Eller typically has had in that role. Out-Producing Eller is a very reachable outcome for Danault this season if he's used in the same role.

I really doubt Danault will play 15 mins/game.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
I still think Danault will be in that role and DD will be someplace else.

Exactly. I understand why people are putting DD in that spot because where else are you supposed to put him. But I remember seeing or hearing after the Eller trade Bergevin saying Danault made Eller expendable. Which (you would think) slots danault where Eller played and either leaves DD playing wing somewhere, centreing the fourth line. Since neither of those sound appealing you could make the case he will be moved to another team. Unless I am imagining Bergiven said that :laugh:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Exactly. I understand why people are putting DD in that spot because where else are you supposed to put him. But I remember seeing or hearing after the Eller trade Bergevin saying Danault made Eller expendable. Which (you would think) slots danault where Eller played and either leaves DD playing wing somewhere, centreing the fourth line. Since neither of those sound appealing you could make the case he will be moved to another team. Unless I am imagining Bergiven said that :laugh:

That's cause DD will be a Center and Chucky will go back to LW... :laugh:

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
What I would like to see:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Hudon-Plekanec-Gallagher
Carr-McCarron-Shaw
Byron-Desharnais-Ghetto/Danault/Mitchell

AHL: Flynn

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I really doubt Danault will play 15 mins/game.

Plekanec and Pacioretty both eat up over 18 minutes a game. I expect Galchenyuk and Gallagher to be around 17. Radulov and Shaw will be up there too. Expecting close to 18 minutes a game out of our top 6 isn't unrealistic. Our 4th line was up over 12 minutes per game last year. With a better top 6, if that drops to 10 or 11 minutes per game than that leaves 13-14 minutes for the 3rd line.

Danault was at 12:40 last year as a rookie. It's not unrealistic to think he'll get 2 or 3 more shifts a game next year putting him comfortably into 14 minutes per game ish.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I'll give it to you. You have balls posting that line. :laugh:

That line will happen.. and a lot sooner than you think. Maybe to even start the season..

Pacioretty-DD-Radu
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher

Is a top 6 I see MT use to start the season. DD will get his share of points and justify his presence there.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
That line will happen.. and a lot sooner than you think. Maybe to even start the season..

Pacioretty-DD-Radu
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher

Is a top 6 I see MT use to start the season. DD will get his share of points and justify his presence there.

He should start packing his bags now then, becuase **** this clown.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
It would seem that when A.Shaw was acquired, the purpose could only be to have two players that bring Gallagher types to the Top Six. Plekanec getting the newly acquired players on his line, being the veteran center with great defensive/two way play. Plekanec has the abilities to find chemistry with whomever he plays, his whole career this has been the case. The harder line to figure is the 3rd, most likely featuring Danault(C), JDLR(LW) & Lehkonen(RW), all three are very capable checkers, Lehkonen plays a similar type game to Gallagher & Shaw, possibly a little more the playmaker type, but can score also. That's an impressive Top Nine for the Habs, the PP should exceed our expectations also. Having two Dmen with cannons for shots in Weber & Sergachev to play the point, at least when it's running great, otherwise substitute Markov thus giving him less icetime in the regular season, Markov being rested for the playoffs is huge.

Montoya's signing gives the Habs the liberty of resting Carey Price during the season as well, here's hoping the Habs have a big enough point spread by February, that both goalies get plenty of icetime, yet are fresh when called upon. The Habs having great depth for the 4th line too, teams coming into the Bell Center have their work cut out, trying to beat the Habs once the new players find their niches.

Stanley Cup aspirations here, haven't been this great in over two decades, I'm really looking forward to watching how great the team can become over the regular season. We know Weber, Radulov, Sergachev, are star players, will fit in wherever they are inserted, same with Shaw & Montoya, Lehkonen being the only ? mark for this fan. I believe he's ready but so are Andrighetto, Hudon, McCarron, etc., etc., there is no shortage of talent fighting for icetime with the Habs this season. It certainly is bad timing for expansion, finally the Habs have huge quality depth, but are destined to lose at least one very good player to Las Vegas, IMHO.

Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Dd-plek-radulov is a good idea but dd has no chemistry with pleks

Dd is aways the problem. HUdon had to take that lw spot

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
So we have a #1 goalie in Carey Price, #1 defenseman in PK Subban, #1 winger in Max Pacioretty, #1 center in Alex Galchenyuk heading into next season.

We need stronger and better supporting cast.

Here's my lines projections.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - ? Okposo?
Backes - Plekanec - Gallagher
Carr - Desharnais - Andrighetto
Danault - Mitchell - Flynn
de la Rose Baron

Beaulieu - Subban
Markov - Petry
Emelin - Pateryn
?

Price
?

Baron? As in Murray? I like it. Bold.

Puck Luck Run Amok

Oct 26, 2012
The void
What's fun to imagine

Pacioretty- Chucky- Radulov
Lehkonen- Pleks- Gallagher
Reway/Ghetto-Hudon- Shaw
DLR- Danault- McCarron (he's our Kuhnhackl)

Waivers/Trade: DD, Flynn, Mitchell

Sergachev- Weber
Markov - Petry
Beaulieu (who I would move)- Pateryn
Redmond

Trade/Waivers: Emelin

Price
Montoya

AHL Starting Goalie: Lindgren, trade Fucale (before people realize he was just hype!)

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Lines set by the player's last season of Corsi For % Relative:

Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher
Carr - Galchenyuk - Andrighetto
Shaw - Plekanec - Radulov
Byron - Desharnais - Matteau

Barberio - Petry
Emelin - Pateryn
Markov - Beaulieu
Weber