Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXVII | Trade Deadline Watch Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I can't imagine JR doesn't at least have some kind of deal in the extreme early stages lined up, and the other team just wants to know for sure if MAF will waive to go there. That's where the 48 hour thing came in. Discuss it with MAF, let him talk to his family about it and get back to JR with enough time for the other team to look elsewhere before the deadline should MAF decline.

Decline????? We haven't gotten a single offer for him.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Only Pittsburgher's would think weather is a determining factor where a guy wants to play for the next 2 years. Amazing.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Apparently the Kings are trying to trade Gaborik, Pittsburgh would be a hard pass right?? Or do you think the pens should look at him

Hard. Hard as can be, HELL NO. Horrible contract and his production has tanked. His skating which was never the best giving groin problems has taken a hit also.

So much no with trading for him, even with max retention and for a 7th rounder. Just no.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
If you do not think weather/location plays a role where guys want to go, you are freaking nuts.

Guys want to win and play and make money. They retire in their 30s then get to live wherever they want. It's not a major factor like people here think. It's not like they're choosing a place to live where they're going to work for 40 years.

And in Fleury's case, it is 2 years.

Last edited:

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
Guys want to win and play and make money. They retire in their 30s then get to live wherever they want. It's not a major factor like people here think. It's not like they're choosing a place to live where they're going to work for 40 years.

And in Fleiry's case, it is 2 years.

You go tell your significant other your moving somewhere and they have no choice, you think that's going to go over well? That's a huge part of these deals for guys with NMC like Flower. He signed for the right to talk this **** over with his family first.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
You go tell your significant other your moving somewhere and they have no choice, you think that's going to go over well? That's a huge part of these deals for guys with NMC like Flower. He signed for the right to talk this **** over with his family first.

yes I get it, I have moved long distance before. But if you guys think weather is at the top of the list I don't think so.

No I don't want to go to Dallas for 2 years, I might melt in the heat.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
yes I get it, I have moved long distance before. But if you guys think weather is at the top of the list I don't think so.

No I don't want to go to Dallas for 2 years, I might melt in the heat.

top of the list? Maybe not. On the list? Probably. I'm sure the priority for where they go is different for everyone.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
My gut says Calgary or St. Louis. I don't think Fleury makes it past the deadline, although the longer we go, the more I am behind the thought of keeping him for the playoffs and then trying to trade him after. Make a deal with LV to not take Murray.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
some tidbits regarding Buffalo:

(This is in reference to kane)

So doesnt seem like a deal with buffalo is going to happen.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
some tidbits regarding Buffalo:

(This is in reference to kane)

So doesnt seem like a deal with buffalo is going to happen.

I did tell you yesterday that their being in the hunt for WC2 meant Buffalo wasn't going to be a seller unless they imploded in the next few days against Colorado and Arizona. Curiously, they're down 3-1 after 1 against the Avs. :popcorn:

My gut says Calgary or St. Louis. I don't think Fleury makes it past the deadline, although the longer we go, the more I am behind the thought of keeping him for the playoffs and then trying to trade him after. Make a deal with LV to not take Murray.

IMO, it costs the Pens more to get Vegas not to take Murray than it costs to buyout Fleury. Anyway, I hope you're right about Fleury. If he's here March 1, it won't be because JR didn't try otherwise.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I did tell you yesterday that their being in the hunt for WC2 meant Buffalo wasn't going to be a seller unless they imploded in the next few days against Colorado and Arizona. Curiously, they're down 3-1 after 1 against the Avs. :popcorn:

IMO, it costs the Pens more to get Vegas not to take Murray than it costs to buyout Fleury.

Based on what this guy is saying Kane isnt leaving no matter what though. Kulikov would cost something close to hainsey so i dont know if thats at all likely. I guess that only leaves Gionta.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Based on what this guy is saying Kane isnt leaving no matter what though. Kulikov would cost something close to hainsey so i dont know if thats at all likely. I guess that only leaves Gionta.

I don't know for sure if Kane was a target (I think he was), but the Sabres liked Maatta from what I understand. So, those two likely were the basis of conversations (not saying a 1 for 1, more that those were main pieces). Maatta's injury and Buffalo not falling out killed that, but if Buffalo throws in the towel, then there's no practical issue revisiting a deal before March 1.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wonder if sitting out the Stadium Series game pushes Fleury to ask JR for a trade. That's exactly what happened with Luongo a couple of years ago. I think Fleury is already close to the point, seeing how he told JR that he wants playing time (straight from JR's mouth) and seeing how JR made a pivot from "I want to keep both goalies throughout the year" to "Fleury told me he isn't happy, so he could be traded in the last 48 hours leading up to the deadline" within a day.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I don't know for sure if Kane was a target (I think he was), but the Sabres liked Maatta from what I understand. So, those two likely were the basis of conversations (not saying a 1 for 1, more that those were main pieces). Maatta's injury and Buffalo not falling out killed that, but if Buffalo throws in the towel, then there's no practical issue revisiting a deal before March 1.

JR mentioned they would decide whether to acquire another defenceman within 24 hours after acquiring hainsey. Do you have a sense of what the decision was?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If you do not think weather/location plays a role where guys want to go, you are freaking nuts.

Wouldn't the Florida Panthers or the Arizona Coyotes be more attractive destinations for free agents over places like Chicago, Toronto, or New York, if weather mattered to players?

Players care about a]winning and b]money. If they're good, they'll likely get b no matter where they go. So more often than not, a is on a player's mind more than whether they can walk around in shorts in December on their days off, IMO.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wouldn't the Florida Panthers or the Arizona Coyotes be more attractive destinations for free agents over places like Chicago, Toronto, or New York, if weather mattered to players?

Players care about a]winning and b]money. If they're good, they'll likely get b no matter where they go. So more often than not, a is on a player's mind more than whether they can walk around in shorts in December on their days off, IMO.

Location absolutely matters. Its not the only thing. Organization, chances to win, location,. I remember when hamhuis turned us down to go to Vancouver to be home. Eaves just talked about it on nhl radio on his trade. Canadian teams have admitted it was difficult to get free agents, especially on oil city that was on nhl network.

So yes... it matters.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't really think Fleury needs to officially ask for a trade. I think it's already assumed and implied.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Location absolutely matters. Its not the only thing. Organization, chances to win, location,. I remember when hamhuis turned us down to go to Vancouver to be home. Eaves just talked about it on nhl radio on his trade. Canadian teams have admitted it was difficult to get free agents, especially on oil city that was on nhl network.

So yes... it matters.

Hamhuis wanted to go home. He didn't want to go to Vancouver because of the weather. Same with Parise and Suter. They went to frigid Minnesota because it's home.

Some of the smaller, isolated teams have trouble attracting players (ie. Winnipeg, Edmonton), but cities like Toronto and Montreal in Canada, and cities like Chicago, New York, etc. in the US don't, even though they're a lot colder than places like Florida or Arizona.

Which is my point. If weather (which I focused on as a disagreement) was a big factor, then those warm cities would be drawing a lot more free agents than they do. Location matters, but not because of geography. Location matters in the sense that they'll chose a location based on quality of organization or, in some cases like the above, if they're from there. But not weather.

Players want to win and they want to get paid. Preferably both. That's the biggest driving factor. If it weren't, then you'd be seeing teams like Florida and Arizona attracting more free agents than the Rangers, Leafs, or Chicago.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
I wonder if sitting out the Stadium Series game pushes Fleury to ask JR for a trade. That's exactly what happened with Luongo a couple of years ago. I think Fleury is already close to the point, seeing how he told JR that he wants playing time (straight from JR's mouth) and seeing how JR made a pivot from "I want to keep both goalies throughout the year" to "Fleury told me he isn't happy, so he could be traded in the last 48 hours leading up to the deadline" within a day.

Besides both being outdoor games, the situations are very different. Lu was the starter all year, up until a week or so before that game. Then they let the kid have the game and he took that as a clear insult and slight against him(Would have been his first outdoor game).

Flowers been the back up all year and has played in a couple of these outdoor games already.

Now where I think it matches up, is that it must make it crystal clear to Flower you don't get the special treatment and meaningful games anymore here bud.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Just FYI no PIT scouts at COL/BUF tonight.

Just CHI(x2), EDM, NSH, BOS.

Not a big deal, as you could rightfully assume all reports and needed information is in. Other than local scouts and Bowness, who was in Montreal, all scouts could have been called in for meetings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark