Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXVII | Trade Deadline Watch Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
hopefully he's gone this week and the team can move on already. this has reached the point where closure is needed. I don't see a benefit to this dragging any longer.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Why would he be more willing to move to Dallas than Calgary? I get Buffalo since it's a lot closer to his family back home in Quebec. But what's the appeal of Dallas versus Calgary? Or more precisely, what is it about Calgary that people think the Fleury family would not like?

My guess is he may still hold a deep resentment towards Canadian fans for their treatment of him because of the WJC game. He would never come out and say that of course, being the nice person he is but could you really blame him? Even to this day there are Canadian fans that give him **** about that. Might possibly explain the whole "no Canadian teams" supposedly on his NTC.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
My guess is he may still hold a deep resentment towards Canadian fans for their treatment of him because of the WJC game. He would never come out and say that of course, being the nice person he is but could you really blame him? Even to this day there are Canadian fans that give him **** about that. Might possibly explain the whole "no Canadian teams" supposedly on his NTC.

And both Canadian and American fans give him **** for his NHL playoff performances. So if he's got a grudge against a country or fanbase because of any sort of mocking he's endured, he should probably just leave the NHL and sign in the KHL. :laugh:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Only spots i could possibly see him going to atm are CAL, WPG and maybe COL but i dunno how COL deals with Varlamov who has 2 yrs left on his deal. They could just pick up MAF for an expiring contract(s)(ie. Iginla/Tyutin) and then they could try and flip MAF or Varlamov for more assets before the ED.

CAL is also still in a playoff race and may be ok in goal to end the season.
WPG, they'd no doubt give us Pavelec back but then they'd want to protect Helly in the ED, thus they could lose MAF. I guess they could pay LV not to touch him.

With DAL, i don't see Nill wanting to spend more in goal OR JR wanting to buyout AN's or KL's contracts.

ETA: BUF COULD do the same as WPG and simply pay LV not to touch MAF while protecting Lehner but i see them simply sticking with Lehner and having a cheaper duo there.

Bottom line is by the time the ED comes around. Being the #1 in LV might not sound too bad to a guy like MAF.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The clear conversation between MAF and his wife/family is going to be "Are you willing to move/live in Calgary for 2-3 years?" I think that answer is going to be "no" at the end of the day. I think he's willing to go to Buffalo. I think willing to go to Dallas. I do not believe, until he waives, that he's willing to go to Calgary.

And that would have to be weighed with being a starter. He just doesn't have that many options if he wants to be the starter for a team, especially if he wants to be somewhere that's competitive-ish. If Buffalo sticks with Lehner and Dallas gets Bishop then he has limited options and they're all probably in Canada. It's not like Price hitting free agency and teams covetting him.

Why would he be more willing to move to Dallas than Calgary? I get Buffalo since it's a lot closer to his family back home in Quebec. But what's the appeal of Dallas versus Calgary? Or more precisely, what is it about Calgary that people think the Fleury family would not like?

Weather and taxes. Dallas lifestyle vs Calgary.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Weather and taxes. Dallas lifestyle vs Calgary.

Weather in Dallas sounds completely unbearable to me. Hot as hell and humid but not even near a coast, wild fires and tornados... it sounds awful. I'll take the cold, dry, mountain air.

PensArmy

Feb 11, 2017
Weather in Dallas sounds completely unbearable to me. Hot as hell and humid but not even near a coast, wild fires and tornados... tt sounds awful. I'll take the cold mountain air.

The only question MAF should have is "who has the better defense" Calgary or Dallas
I think it's pretty obvious Calgary has the deeper defense
Calgary just makes to much sense. Everyone knew Brian Elliott was going to stink

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
Weather in Dallas sounds completely unbearable to me. Hot as hell and humid but not even near a coast, wild fires and tornados... it sounds awful. I'll take the cold, dry, mountain air.

It's hot but relatively dry unless the time I was there was unusual. I found the Washington area to be a lot harder to take on the muggiest days than the DFW area. That said, it's definitely hot and for a lot of the year. I remember coming home from work at 2am and the heat was still radiating from the driveway...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

I agree, but most people don't. People love that sunbelt. Or think they will.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The 48hrs thing, its either going to come to Fleury being moved or we'll all be disappointed. I think at this point all of us don't care what he return is as long as he's gone...funny really .

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I think Fleury makes a decision based off of playing time and opportunity to win and not weather.

It's not like he's choosing a place to retire.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
There is nothing wrong with the DFW area. Its a rapidly expanding community with a good bit of upper class permeating it. The tornados and other weather anomalies mostly occur up in the northern panhandle of Texas. Its a seasonable climate much less humid normally than say the entire east coast.

Its also a good sport town with of course the Cowboys and also the Rangers and Mavericks. Never been to Calgary but just looking on a map it seems so desolate in comparison.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
:laugh: yeah that's going to happen. From the sounds of it he won't give Sprong in a deal for Duchene so he sure isn't going to do it to move Fleury.

If Fleury agreed to waive for expansion would that be our best option? I'd assume Vegas would take him. It's not like any deal we make now will save us cap space.

Honestly? I don't know if they would or not. It would all depend on who else is exposed and how much they like that player. There's going to be a lot of goalies who are available this summer. Maybe they like MAF? IDK, but I don't think it's a guarantee that MAF would be selected if he waived.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Asking on the Avs board about Maatta, Jarry and Sprong... And they don't seem happy with that.

Im trying to get a sense for if they think maatta is trash or don't know the prospects cause I was a bit surprised at initial reactions over there.

They won't be. They want a top pairing D or a top prospect like Hanifin who projects to be a top pairing D very soon. And they're completely delusional in the sense that they actually think they'll get that - they won't. They're going to geta package where the main piece is someone close to Maatta/R.Murray in terms of current ability. Absolute best case is Faulk in something that's basically 1-1. But then he's only 3.5 years away from being a UFA.

Why? Because that's all GMs will be willing to give up for someone like Duchene who's 2.5 years away from being a UFA. No one is going to give up a top pairing player who's still at least one more contract away from being a UFA (Trouba, etc) or someone who already is a top pairing D. All GMs will be willing to move are those young guys who are close, but not there yet. And who knows if they'll ever get there. But just watch... when MD is finally traded, it's going to be for someone much more comparable to Maatta (unless it's 1-1 with Faulk), then someone who's seen as a top pairing D.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There is nothing wrong with the DFW area. Its a rapidly expanding community with a good bit of upper class permeating it. The tornados and other weather anomalies mostly occur up in the northern panhandle of Texas. Its a seasonable climate much less humid normally than say the entire east coast.

Its also a good sport town with of course the Cowboys and also the Rangers and Mavericks. Never been to Calgary but just looking on a map it seems so desolate in comparison.

The terms you choose to describe Dallas ("rapidly expanding," "upper class") don't really sound like selling points. But that's just me.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
I'm surprised that Buffalo isn't kicking tires on MAF. You got the whole Bylsma connection and Robin Lenher hasn't been great and needs a new contract. I think if Buffalo didn't pay sooooo much for Lenher (1rd pick) there would be more rumors connecting MAF and Buffalo, also don't forget like a month ago in Toronto Lenher got pulled and he showed up Bylsma by giving him the death stare.....

Maybe we could do a MAF for Lenher and a prospect and/or pick

Thoughts??????

Lehner has a 92.5% SV through 40+ games this season, I dont really see how he isnt doing good, especially on a team like the Sabres. I don't think they need MAF who isn't even that much better if at all, costs more money + is older

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
They won't be. They want a top pairing D or a top prospect like Hanifin who projects to be a top pairing D very soon. And they're completely delusional in the sense that they actually think they'll get that - they won't. They're going to geta package where the main piece is someone close to Maatta/R.Murray in terms of current ability. Absolute best case is Faulk in something that's basically 1-1. But then he's only 3.5 years away from being a UFA.

Why? Because that's all GMs will be willing to give up for someone like Duchene who's 2.5 years away from being a UFA. No one is going to give up a top pairing player who's still at least one more contract away from being a UFA (Trouba, etc) or someone who already is a top pairing D. All GMs will be willing to move are those young guys who are close, but not there yet. And who knows if they'll ever get there. But just watch... when MD is finally traded, it's going to be for someone much more comparable to Maatta (unless it's 1-1 with Faulk), then someone who's seen as a top pairing D.

Yes.. anyone making the move for him either is a contender or thinks they will be really soon... those kind of teams aren't looking to move a stud top pairing d...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Haha this is getting ridiculous. We are analyzing the cities of teams that may or may not even have interest in him. The pens need to trade him but I just don't think any team is going to offer us anything other than another overpaid crappy goalie.

I predict he's still a penguin for this entire season. I hope Rutherford proves me wrong.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I'm born and raised in Calgary. It's a pretty awesome city and I like it over most places I've been to in the USA. It wouldn't shock me to see MAF traded here and I think it could benefit both teams. But it has to come st a price Treliving is willing to pay. He seems content riding the goalies he has for now.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm born and raised in Calgary. It's a pretty awesome city and I like it over most places I've been to in the USA. It wouldn't shock me to see MAF traded here and I think it could benefit both teams. But it has to come st a price Treliving is willing to pay. He seems content riding the goalies he has for now.

Have to think it's gotta be for garbage. Fleury's value is being a guy who can be a regular starter. We're not far from the postseason. He may just tell us he'll make an offer in the summer.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Have to think it's gotta be for garbage. Fleury's value is being a guy who can be a regular starter. We're not far from the postseason. He may just tell us he'll make an offer in the summer.

Flames have to move a defenseman, which the Pens need. I could see it being Elliot and one of the Flames spare defensmen for MAF with retention and or a pick. Whether JR would be interested in that I don't know.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I am going off based what MAF said (with a few sources) back at the draft.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Fleury seems like a warm weather guy. Also the spotlight in Dallas would be much smaller. Stars can probably walk around without being recognized.

But I maintain he will not have a choice. I'm 50/50 that he's traded at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad