Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXVII | Trade Deadline Watch Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
You know, if theres one guy from BUF i wouldn't mind having on the roster in exchange for Olli(if Kane's a no go), it would be Bogosian.

Alot of peeps say BUF should/will expose him in the ED.

Trade Olli+cap dump+pick for Bogosian.

Dumo-Tang
Cole-Schultz
Hainsey-Bogosian
Daley

...for the PO's then protect 4F4D1G for the ED...

If JR wanted to get a little tougher/meaner + have a solid RD option if a Tang or Schultz go down(which happens alot), it's not a bad thing to consider.

I mean, it's not Trouba but it'd be the next best thing.
I kinda been wondering if thats the player PIT had been scouting.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Say whatever you want about his trades but man JR's signings the last 2-3 years have been great. Cullen, Schultz this year, the wbs trio and Murray. We will be getting what seems like top-10 goal tending at only 3.5 for the next 3 years. Hopefully Sheary, Dumo and Schultz are also signed to great contracts.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I don't really think Fleury needs to officially ask for a trade. I think it's already assumed and implied.

MAF says he wants to play and JR says he wants to keep him for the year. It sounds like there have been no offers that have knocked JR's socks off, he said teams have asked questions, I assume along the lines of if they are on MAF's no trade list and potential asking price.
It appears as though MAF and JR are going to discuss MAF's future again tomorrow. I beleive JR when he says he would rather MAF stay for the season, but everyone knows MM is not being exposed. If MAF wants to stay and be part of another run in a back up role and is willing to waive his NMC for the expansion draft then I would keep him unless there was a deal that improved the team this year or involved a high draft pick. Hockey is a business, but there is absolutely a human/emotional angle here. MAF is the longest serving member of the Pens, longer than Sid, Geno and Letang. Those guys have been together for over a decade, lots of off ice stories, weddings, kids, etc. Trading MAF for the sake of trading MAF when he doesn't want to leave could upset the pyche of the team. You can bet that Sid and Tanger and some others know if MAF wants to be traded or moved this year. I wouldn't move MAF for a worse backup and a number 8 D just for the sake of moving him if he indicated he will waive for the expansion.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
MAF says he wants to play and JR says he wants to keep him for the year. It sounds like there have been no offers that have knocked JR's socks off, he said teams have asked questions, I assume along the lines of if they are on MAF's no trade list and potential asking price.
It appears as though MAF and JR are going to discuss MAF's future again tomorrow. I beleive JR when he says he would rather MAF stay for the season, but everyone knows MM is not being exposed. If MAF wants to stay and be part of another run in a back up role and is willing to waive his NMC for the expansion draft then I would keep him unless there was a deal that improved the team this year or involved a high draft pick. Hockey is a business, but there is absolutely a human/emotional angle here. MAF is the longest serving member of the Pens, longer than Sid, Geno and Letang. Those guys have been together for over a decade, lots of off ice stories, weddings, kids, etc. Trading MAF for the sake of trading MAF when he doesn't want to leave could upset the pyche of the team. You can bet that Sid and Tanger and some others know if MAF wants to be traded or moved this year. I wouldn't move MAF for a worse backup and a number 8 D just for the sake of moving him if he indicated he will waive for the expansion.

If Maf did waive for the ed, what are the chance he gets picked and then do we then continue to ***** about how he is a waste of cap space. If you can trade him now, you trade him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If Maf did waive for the ed, what are the chance he gets picked and then do we then continue to ***** about how he is a waste of cap space. If you can trade him now, you trade him.

Do you think we'd still have to pay him if Vegas took him?

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

Because you wait and get a better deal for the team at the entry draft or during the offseason. If MAF says he won't waive for expansion, then it makes sense to move him to get him off the roster, but if he will wave for expansion and doesn't get picked, we still have an asset/trade chip without a gun to our head to move him.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So Shattenkirk wants to play for NYR? why does everyone wanna go to NYR or Chicago? if he said he wants to play for Pens our right side would be set. Hainsey-Shattenkirk our 2nd pair, Cole-Schultz our 3rd pair, Dumo-Letang our 1st pair obviously. If you still suck with those 3 pairings then I dunno what to tell you.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So Shattenkirk wants to play for NYR? why does everyone wanna go to NYR or Chicago? if he said he wants to play for Pens our right side would be set. Hainsey-Shattenkirk our 2nd pair, Cole-Schultz our 3rd pair.

I still think Shattenkirk will cost way more than we want to give for a guy who brings so much of his value on the powerplay, but man would our D look great with him here :laugh: You'd have to go with 2D at that point, right?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I still think Shattenkirk will cost way more than we want to give for a guy who brings so much of his value on the powerplay, but man would our D look great with him here :laugh: You'd have to go with 2D at that point, right?

We probably wont get Duchene so i'd look elsewhere. If Shatty picks Pens and re-signs for say 6M for 5 years i'm fine with that. We don't really have the depth at D like we do at O. If Hainsey is good here and re-signs with Pens for say 2 years then i'd be fine having those 2 on our D and with with the offense we have. Can't hurt having more D that can pass you the puck and play D aswell. Wont happen but i'd then stick Letang on the 2nd PP unit and give Shatty and Schultz 1st pp unit.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't see how we can afford Shattenkirk long term. Not him and Schultz. It's just too much money when one of them will be playing on the 3rd pair.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Theres no way Shatty comes here.
JR ain't spending his 1st on a rental.

I think PIT was either watching Kulikov+ a F prospect on Rochester(this one probably makes the most sense since PIT was also scouting Rochester) or Bogosian from BUF.
It would involve Olli of course but my hunch is the balls in JR's court.
If JR+crew didn't like what they seen scouting all those BUF games, they'll happily keep Olli and possibly move him before the ED.

I can't fathom BUF still shopping Kane or JR seeking an Olli for winger swap right now.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Is Vrbata still fast? RW with 14 goals and 44 points in 60 games. Seems to only produce on Canucks and Arizona though but he's never played with the Pens with Crosby/Malkin. 1M for 1 year he signed with Arizona. No idea his cost, could maybe click with Malkin?

Guenztel-Malkin-Vrbata

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
We probably wont get Duchene so i'd look elsewhere. If Shatty picks Pens and re-signs for say 6M for 5 years i'm fine with that. We don't really have the depth at D like we do at O. If Hainsey is good here and re-signs with Pens for say 2 years then i'd be fine having those 2 on our D and with with the offense we have. Can't hurt having more D that can pass you the puck and play D aswell. Wont happen but i'd then stick Letang on the 2nd PP unit and give Shatty and Schultz 1st pp unit.

Why? Schultz will cost less than that, and is probably a better fit as I think JS can play better in his own zone then Shatty can.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Do you think we'd still have to pay him if Vegas took him?

I think what he's probably saying that Vegas wouldn't take him. Which...I don't know, to be honest. On the one hand, you watch the guy play, especially this year, and think "why would any team ever want this player?"

On the other hand, there won't be a whole lot of desirable starting goalie options available to them. Every team is going to be protecting their best goaltender, with the possible exception of Tampa. Other than maybe Bishop, you're mostly looking guys who can handle the short end of a tandem arrangement, guys who are purely backups, and goalie versions of Kunitz who can't play worth a damn anymore. If the Pens were able to expose Fleury, he would easily be the biggest name available among goaltenders, and possibly in the whole draft. Fleury's still generally famous for winning a Stanley Cup and a whole bunch of games with the Penguins. Real puckheads know he's trash on the ice, but people who are just sports fans know him as a winner. He might give the team an air of legitimacy when they are trying to sell season tickets.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So Shattenkirk wants to play for NYR? why does everyone wanna go to NYR or Chicago? if he said he wants to play for Pens our right side would be set. Hainsey-Shattenkirk our 2nd pair, Cole-Schultz our 3rd pair, Dumo-Letang our 1st pair obviously. If you still suck with those 3 pairings then I dunno what to tell you.

You know... that's something I want to know, too. If people want a great sports town, a great city, and their money to go a real long way... Pittsburgh is it. I cannot imagine why anyone wants a million dollar **** hole apartment in NYC. In Pittsburgh, 500k-700k can get you a sick downtown loft with a city view.

Hamhuis wanted to go home. He didn't want to go to Vancouver because of the weather. Same with Parise and Suter. They went to frigid Minnesota because it's home.

Some of the smaller, isolated teams have trouble attracting players (ie. Winnipeg, Edmonton), but cities like Toronto and Montreal in Canada, and cities like Chicago, New York, etc. in the US don't, even though they're a lot colder than places like Florida or Arizona.

Which is my point. If weather (which I focused on as a disagreement) was a big factor, then those warm cities would be drawing a lot more free agents than they do. Location matters, but not because of geography. Location matters in the sense that they'll chose a location based on quality of organization or, in some cases like the above, if they're from there. But not weather.

Players want to win and they want to get paid. Preferably both. That's the biggest driving factor. If it weren't, then you'd be seeing teams like Florida and Arizona attracting more free agents than the Rangers, Leafs, or Chicago.

Well let's make something clear. I never specifically said weather matters. I am saying location matters and you proved my point that location does matter. I don't know if people are specifically saying just weather matters, but not me. Simply put - location matters.

I think anyone who is used to the eastern standard living would have a hard time going to western Canada. And still don't understand why people keep choosing New York City. Makes no sense.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

They're much more appealing cities to live in than Pittsburgh if you're young and wealthy.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
With the Colorado Avalanche’s Matt Duchene and Gabriel Landeskog still being available to trade, some may think the team could be willing to lower their asking price.

But according to Friedman, the team is sending a message that they won’t be accepting low bids.

“They’re telling everyone they’re not changing what they want,†Friedman said. “Three or four pieces, depending on the age. A young defenceman or a goaltender. And they have told everybody, if they don’t get what they want, they’ll take it to the end of the season.â€

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-maple-leafs-looking-red-wings-sheahan-smith/

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
In Shattenkirk's case, there's a personal attachment.

5aa36114-6d20-47e3-8094-ea0859811f09.png

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
He grew up in the area so its not surprising he wants to play for his hometown team.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm not for paying the price of the deadline usually - this year is really the exception for me. We're so close that it's worth it. It's not like in the Shero years where those teams weren't going to win no matter what he did because we lacked the depth. We have the depth, we have the goaltending. We just need to get healthy. If I'm Mario, I'm telling JR to do whatever he has to do. Trade all the picks. Trade all the prospects. Go get a top 6 winger. Go get a top 4 defenseman. Bring back guys with term. Rent players. Just go get it.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
So is this constant "trade Maatta" actually coming from somewhere in or around the organization? Or is it just this board's wishful thinking?

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
I'm not for paying the price of the deadline usually - this year is really the exception for me. We're so close that it's worth it. It's not like in the Shero years where those teams weren't going to win no matter what he did because we lacked the depth. We have the depth, we have the goaltending. We just need to get healthy. If I'm Mario, I'm telling JR to do whatever he has to do. Trade all the picks. Trade all the prospects. Go get a top 6 winger. Go get a top 4 defenseman. Bring back guys with term. Rent players. Just go get it.

There's still a balance to be had, but overall I agree with you.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
So is this constant "trade Maatta" actually coming from somewhere in or around the organization? Or is it just this board's wishful thinking?

Stupidity on this board. Olli has some of the best 5v5 stats of all D men since entering the league and people want to bail on him before DP has even earned an NHL spot. He's not anywhere near his prime and is relatively cheap. He also plays the toughest minutes (most D zone starts) on the team. He's an incredible goal preventer.

He got beat a couple of times, so he sucks now. Just like Lovejoy, Gogo, Nisky, etc.:sarcasm:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

We probably have to trade a top for D because of expansion + big names like Duchene being available mostly.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

Shatty wants to go there because he is from CT (near NYC) probably being close to family and a Rangers fan growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad