Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXVI | Trade Deadline Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I was watching the Sabres last night and immediately noticed the one speedy guy (other than Eichel whoI think is awesome) as Gionta. Immediately looked up his pending status - UFA. He, Eichel, and Bailey were like the only 3 that really stood out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I was watching the Sabres last night and immediately noticed the one speedy guy (other than Eichel whoI think is awesome) as Gionta. Immediately looked up his pending status - UFA. He, Eichel, and Bailey were like the only 3 that really stood out.

Then the one who would slot as Geno's LW didn't stand out. :laugh:

Gionta is a name I understand should be watched. I also understand that it's unlikely that the level of scouting the Pens were doing was for him. Could've been just for Kulikov. But, Kane is the wildcard.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Gionta is a name I understand should be watched. I also understand that it's unlikely that the level of scouting the Pens were doing was for him. Could've been just for Kulikov. But, Kane is the wildcard.

Problem is, what does Gionta do for us that Hagelin, Rust, Archibald, Wilson, etc don't?

We have enough Giontas. Kanes, we don't have so it would be understandable but doubtful. I think Kulikov is the only target truth be told.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Problem is, what does Gionta do for us that Hagelin, Rust, Archibald, Wilson, etc don't?

We have enough Giontas. Kanes, we don't have so it would be understandable but doubtful. I think Kulikov is the only target truth be told.

Well, you would be in the know, so I'll defer to you.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Please don't be going after Gionta, it's just an unnecessary move. Kane I'd be interested in and I'd like to see if Hagelin intrigues them much for him, but please no to Gionta. I'd rather just keep Guentzel on the top line as the RWer.

Glad to see Fleury to Calgary isn't just smoke, the fact that it's being talked about makes me think that Fleury's open to a trade to Calgary.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Please don't be going after Gionta, it's just an unnecessary move. Kane I'd be interested in and I'd like to see if Hagelin intrigues them much for him, but please no to Gionta. I'd rather just keep Guentzel on the top line as the RWer.

Glad to see Fleury to Calgary isn't just smoke, the fact that it's being talked about makes me think that Fleury's open to a trade to Calgary.

There were two stories on why it didn't happen before. One is that JR wanted the 6th overall. The other is Fleury wasn't going to waive to play in Canada. It is my understanding that neither is an impediment now. :D

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There were two stories on why it didn't happen before. One is that JR wanted the 6th overall. The other is Fleury wasn't going to waive to play in Canada. It is my understanding that neither is an impediment now. :D

That's not too surprising, I think Yohe echoed a similar statement that Fleury's basically willing to waive to go anywhere at this point. It sounds like he has done everything minus ask for a trade, and I don't know if he's far off from that or hasn't done that privately yet.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We don't really have any room for a forward. At least not for a non first line guy.

We just need a rental blueliner for a 3rd round pick or lower. Tyutin, Franson, Smith, etc.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Any idea what JR is looking for?

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Well, Gionta would certainly make Sid and Sheary look taller. Kane ... I just don't see it. Granted, the Pittsburgh media certainly seem to play very, very nicely with the team, but I have trouble imagining that someone as brand conscious as our CEO and President would allow it to happen. Actually, Gionta and Kane both sound like either making a move to make a move or a negotiation ploy.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Well, Gionta would certainly make Sid and Sheary look taller. Kane ... I just don't see it. Granted, the Pittsburgh media certainly seem to play very, very nicely with the team, but I have trouble imagining that someone as brand conscious as our CEO and President would allow it to happen. Actually, Gionta and Kane both sound like either making a move to make a move or a negotiation ploy.

Here's what I understand: It's possible that they're doing the level of scouting of Buffalo that they've done just for Kulikov. But, they've scouted Buffalo even more than Colorado, and everyone has scouted them. People can debate whether Gionta or Kane would be a move to make a move. Any interest in one or both of them certainly isn't a negotiating ploy.

Any idea what JR is looking for?

For Fleury? Here's the priority list:

(1) To move him
(2) To save as much cap space after this season as possible

I don't think the 'value' is what matters as much as protecting Murray and getting cap flexibility.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

What was being said around Calgary was that Treliving wasn't interested in the price JR was asking.

I could see Fleury and a pick/prospect for Elliott and one of the Flames depth defenseman. Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if a Jankowski/Sprong trade would benefit both teams. Flames have a ton of young centers and Jankowski has been great in the AHL this year, he'd be a great Bonino replacement. Flames really need some skill on right wing and Sprong might be buried depth wise on the Pens. Could be a win win trade for both.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Here's what I understand: It's possible that they're doing the level of scouting of Buffalo that they've done just for Kulikov. But, they've scouted Buffalo even more than Colorado, and everyone has scouted them. People can debate whether Gionta or Kane would be a move to make a move. Any interest in one or both of them certainly isn't a negotiating ploy.

There are several players they could be scouting. I could certainly be wrong about Kane. I just have a hard time seeing it happen due to his locker room and off ice issues with two different teams. I don't think Moorehouse would want to take on a potential PR nightmare, and I doubt HCMS would want a guy who has a high probability of disrupting the room.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Negotiation ploy in what way?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
For Fleury? Here's the priority list:

(1) To move him
(2) To save as much cap space after this season as possible

I don't think the 'value' is what matters as much as protecting Murray and getting cap flexibility.

To us? Or to the organization?

Because I think we have two very different opinions here. I bet if asked 99% of us here on this board could give two ***** about value for MAF at this point. Give us a pending FA in Elliott or someone like Johnston who could be our ED goalie and backup next year and we'd be overjoyed just to remove MAF, his cap hit and his NMC as ED issues going forward. But if it's true that Rutherford was looking for the 6th OVA pick last year, I highly doubt that he'd be content to have walked away from a pair of 2nds and settling just to escape MAFs cap hit and ED issues going forward. I honestly think he will hold out for some sort of value. Maybe not the same value he wanted last summer, but I think he's going to be looking for a lot more then what any of us on HF would care about getting.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Negotiation ploy in what way?

Allowing information to leak that they may have other interests or offers on the table to push the deal they really want to happen either more quickly or more on their terms. If the team really wanted to keep a lid on the information, they would.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
To us? Or to the organization?

Because I think we have two very different opinions here. I bet if asked 99% of us here on this board could give two ***** about value for MAF at this point. Give us a pending FA in Elliott or someone like Johnston who could be our ED goalie and backup next year and we'd be overjoyed just to remove MAF, his cap hit and his NMC as ED issues going forward. But if it's true that Rutherford was looking for the 6th OVA pick last year, I highly doubt that he'd be content to have walked away from a pair of 2nds and settling just to escape MAFs cap hit and ED issues going forward. I honestly think he will hold out for some sort of value. Maybe not the same value he wanted last summer, but I think he's going to be looking for a lot more then what any of us on HF would care about getting.

From what I understand, I feel comfortable in saying I think you're wrong.

Allowing information to leak that they may have other interests or offers on the table to push the deal they really want to happen either more quickly or more on their terms. If the team really wanted to keep a lid on the information, they would.

What's public information is that the Pens have scouted the **** out of Buffalo. There's no way to hide that.

My understanding about Kane, Gionta, and Kulikov as names of interest is not public, and my being allowed to share it here, couched as I have, has been given the green light from Cole (just as non public information has been shared here by others in the past).

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
From what I understand, I feel comfortable in saying I think you're wrong.

What's public information is that the Pens have scouted the **** out of Buffalo. There's no way to hide that.

My understanding about Kane, Gionta, and Kulikov as names of interest is not public, and my being allowed to share it here, couched as I have, has been given the green light from Cole (just as non public information has been shared here by others in the past).

No, there's no way to hide they've been scouting Buffalo. But that wasn't my point. I wasn't questioning your veracity or your sources. My point was more that it's unlikely that you're the only one who has been given more specifics. And that information wouldn't be getting out at all if they didn't want it to. But, I'm rather cynical, so ...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
No, there's no way to hide they've been scouting Buffalo. But that wasn't my point. I wasn't questioning your veracity or your sources. My point was more that it's unlikely that you're the only one who has been given more specifics. And that information wouldn't be getting out at all if they didn't want it to. But, I'm rather cynical, so ...

No, I was very careful to say it's my understanding. I also have been saying for the last week that it's been a total blackout around JR. This is more putting pieces together than a leak. One or two other people here have access to people linked in one way or another, and they're getting the same thing. It's not like JR is walking around the office with Kane and Gionta trading cards in the office. Not even close to that. Look, I can't write more because I've been asked not to write more . . . Kane, Gionta, and Kulikov were the names mentioned to me, but it's definitely not out there. My point was IF you see it from the media in the next few days, then give that a little extra weight.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I just can't see BUF shopping Kane who's got some of the better numbers as a LW'er + has found chemistry with Eichel now. Atleast if i were them i wouldn't...heh.

I think they view Ennis as the more disposable piece.
Could be wrong of course.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Kane has definitely been playing better of late. His price is only going up in my opinion. Not sold that I want him on the Pens though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad