Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXVI | Trade Deadline Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Who said anything about that deal being in the process of being completed? I said there were rumors about it being a possibility, which is 100% true. Was it just speculation on behalf of the rumor people like Friedman and Kypreos? Yeah, but you have no way of knowing that, so passing off the Duchene for Maatta rumors as "nothing but board speculation" is just hilariously obtuse.

Essentially, saying that Maatta+ for Duchene is solely "board speculation" when actual insiders are speculating (or even more) about it is just wrong.

Um... the guy I originally quoted which caused me to make a comment at all.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but yeah. They could still move Fehr or Bonino to make the cap work if Maatta+ for Duchene was still on the table.

If you want to endorse spreading stuff like this as fact, I'm not OK with it, because that's what it sounded like here so I corrected it and you took issue. I made sure that no one else reading that would think it was actually at some point "on the table" or in the works, regardless if it was wild speculation by HFBoards or professionals. That may not have been the OPs intent, but that's what it looked like.

And also, Pouliot was the one specifically mentioned by "the sources."

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If it's Kunitz for Kulikov and then whatever JR was looking at for forwards, I'm ok with that, the team gets Maatta back by the playoffs and Schultz is gone for how long?

Dumoulin/Kulikov, Letang
Cole, Schultz
Kulikov/Dumolin, Daley
Ruhwedel

Why is Buffalo trading Kulikov for Kunitz? They will want futures. I suppose Kunitz could go for cap purposes, but he is basically of zero value to Buffalo.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I would agree with that.

Focus on Kulikov now, try to get Smith for cheap at the TDL. Maybe use that OTT 5th.

Lots of pieces for Kulikov that Sabres may be interested in too. MAF, Fehr, Bonino, Pouliot...they have Lehner, Kulikov, and picks that would be of interest to us. Lots of options there.

I don't think Duchene will be moved before the off season. I just don't see it. I see Sakic wanting too much. I think it's an either or. Lando or Matt now, the other after the season is done.

Good news is, Maatta is signed for a while so that trade chip is always there.

I think the only way to go after Smith is if Maatta is moved. I think they go after Kulikov regardless. Question is, when 100% healthy...who do you run?

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Daley-Kulikov
Cole-Schultz

Who sits? Gotta assume it's Maatta or Daley but...tough choice. I'm guessing the rest of the season about be a mix and match game to see who works best with who.

What about: MAF+Daley to Dallas for Niemi+Hudler or Sharp?

Knowing the Pens... injuries would take care of that.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Eh maybe. Depends on how you define disappointing. They can bolster the lineup with a couple small trades and shipping Kunitz out. That'd be enough for me assuming they can't get rid of Fleury. It's looking like everyone will be ready for the playoffs except Rust barring future injuries. If we touch up the roster enough to have a go at it that's all I can ask for.

Holy freakin' balls, why do people keep suggesting or even entertaining the thought that Kunitz could be traded at the deadline? They're not selling pending UFAs as a playoff team and he's currently their 1st line LW. It's pretty clear that our assessment of him as a player does not match the team's and he's not going anywhere.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
And what credible sources where they that said a Maatta+ for Duchene deal was "on the table" or legitimately in the works? Kypreos said JR "might take a run at him" and JR told Friedman that he would "do anything to win." The rest was filled in with speculation and suggesting a deal involving Maatta for Duchene was even close is entirely baseless. Also, a "legit" rumor is pretty oxymoronic when you're saying there were actual sources. That wouldn't have been a "rumor" then.
Oh great, a semantics argument. I'll see myself out.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Holy freakin' balls, why do people keep suggesting or even entertaining the thought that Kunitz could be traded at the deadline? They're not selling pending UFAs as a playoff team and he's currently their 1st line LW. It's pretty clear that our assessment of him as a player does not match the team's and he's not going anywhere.

Because it's cap room for a more important piece. I would've mentioned Fehr in the same breath but he doesn't make as much money so shipping him out wouldn't have much of an impact. It's all excess that could be trimmed if they wanted to use the money elsewhere in the lineup.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Changed it from 'on the table' to a 'a possibility'. Just for you, bud.

You'll want to change it from "was a possibility" to "is a possibility." If you're going to needlessly edit something because you're salty you may as well do it right, bro bud.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Would people be interested in a deal around Pouliot for Kulikov?

idk - my expectations for him at this juncture certainly aren't high and getting passed over for the call-up could be considered an indictment, at the same time, the org has thrust him into the #1 d-man role on the best team in the AHL. i have no idea if he's been playing like a #1, but he's getting those minutes and the accompanying role. maybe he's not on the outs. again idk.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I'm not necessarily opposed. It really depends on how the org views the move. If they are willing to consider re-signing Kulikov, then yes I think it makes sense.

If it's just a rental, meh not as excited, but I suppose it depends on your view of Pouliot.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

It would hurt if our 8th overall pick turned into nothing more than a rental but that may be what happens. The Pens brass doesn't seem to like the kid very much and he's waiver eligible next year. They may look at it as getting something for him while they still can even if it is just a rental for the playoff run.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It would hurt if our 8th overall pick turned into nothing more than a rental but that may be what happens. The Pens brass doesn't seem to like the kid very much and he's waiver eligible next year. They may look at it as getting something for him while they still can even if it is just a rental for the playoff run.

Considering the status of all of Shero's picks sans Maatta, it would be par for the course.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pretty cool that JR signed Guentzel to a 3 year deal this past offseason, and not a 2 year deal. That could end up quite a bargain.

I honestly did not remember that and would be more reason to absolutely say no if a team wanted him thrown in on a bigger trade. That's a ELC lock up at a nice rate.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Something just needs to happen for my sanity.

Meh.. i'd calm that down. Sometimes the best trade is not making a deal. You don't want JR to just pull the trigger to pull the trigger. He has a pulse on the team's identity and he's specifically hunting down speed and d-depth as he knows that's what we need. At this point, it's not just about overspending to get something. It's just making the right call. If it warrants an over-spend, then JR is going to have to weigh that option.

At this point, JR has my trust.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

That all depends on whether or not Rutherford and Sullivan believe that DP can turn into a top 4D. If they really believe that there's a realistic chance of that happening, then no, they shouldn't move him for a rental. However if they think it's more of a longshot that he becomes a top 4D, then sure, moving him isn't the end of the world.

At this point his draft position is irrelevant.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Meh.. i'd calm that down. Sometimes the best trade is not making a deal. You don't want JR to just pull the trigger to pull the trigger. He has a pulse on the team's identity and he's specifically hunting down speed and d-depth as he knows that's what we need. At this point, it's not just about overspending to get something. It's just making the right call. If it warrants an over-spend, then JR is going to have to weigh that option.

At this point, JR has my trust.

Oh, JR will pull the trigger. It may be on a trade. It may be to shoot someone because he couldn't make a trade. In the meantime, it's my understanding-- and these are words that I have been instructed by a mod to use-- that . . .

- Calgary and Fleury isn't just smoke.

- A deal with Colorado, if it doesn't happen, is more likely because JR wanted to give up a first instead of a forward than because Maatta got hurt (if it happens, then whether it's a first or a forward will tell you who blinked).

- Don't assume that Buffalo is just about Kulikov. There's a RW rental who likely would fit very nicely with Sid and Sheary; there's a LW wildcard who would be a fascinating linemate for Geno.

- Right now, failing a deal with Colorado or Buffalo, it looks like Fleury gets moved, JR looks at rentals, and they circle back to Colorado over the summer.

- It's quite likely that Hagelin is playing somewhere else next fall.

Anyway, whenever I hear something on one of these subjects elsewhere in the media, it is my understanding that I should treat them as more than idle speculation.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Oh, JR will pull the trigger. It may be on a trade. It may be to shoot someone because he couldn't make a trade. In the meantime, it's my understanding-- and these are words that I have been instructed by a mod to use-- that . . .

- Calgary and Fleury isn't just smoke.

- A deal with Colorado, if it doesn't happen, is more likely because JR wanted to give up a first instead of a forward than because Maatta got hurt (if it happens, then whether it's a first or a forward will tell you who blinked).

- Don't assume that Buffalo is just about Kulikov. There's a RW rental who likely would fit very nicely with Sid and Sheary; there's a LW wildcard who would be a fascinating linemate for Geno.

- Right now, failing a deal with Colorado or Buffalo, it looks like Fleury gets moved, JR looks at rentals, and they circle back to Colorado over the summer.

- It's quite likely that Hagelin is playing somewhere else next fall.

Anyway, whenever I hear something on one of these subjects elsewhere in the media, it is my understanding that I should treat them as more than idle speculation.
Because he'd make them feel tall?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Why the hell do people want Kulikov? Are his advanced stats good? Cause he has 2 points all year

Mobile PMD with offensive upside, decent defensively, has a physical component to his game that we lack on the back end. UFA and is likely available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad