Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXVI | Goals and Happiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Per Chris Nichols...

Friedman seems to think we might just be going big game hunting.

I don't think there is any doubt at this point. From everything JR has said, everything the media has said - the rumor mills are swirling and where there is smoke there is typically fire.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Wideman but there's not much else we can realistically get from Calgary. I don't think Engo would fit in well with our current style but who knows. It's probably Wideman or maybe a D like Oduya if Dallas gets involved instead.

Yeah, people ignore that the Penguins have to take back significant salary for Fleury. In Calgary's situation, it's basically Stajan, Wideman or Engelland. Wideman is the closest thing to a fit for the current team, so I'd go with him.

Per Chris Nichols...

Friedman seems to think we might just be going big game hunting.

And that's the absolute right decision to make IMO, at least at forward. The Penguins have depth out the ass right now, they simply don't need help in the lower part of their lineup. However, they certainly could use a top-6 upgrade, which itself helps lower in the depth chart.

I wonder if JR would go after a big game defenseman. Just a thought, maybe throwing together a big package for Shattenkirk including Daley (or possibly even moving Maatta out in a separate deal) wouldn't be a bad idea.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
An offense of Duchene, Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel is like lighting a match with a blow torch.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
There are a lot of ways to describe Fleury. Thats not one of them. He's never been a problem off the ice, in the locker room etc. You make him sound like he's Evander Kane. Now THAT is a perfect player for use of that description.

Why exactly do people use the word "cancer" to describe all the things an athlete does that don't matter, but a guy who kills the team where it matters most, when it matters most, is almost universally considered exempt from the term?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Why exactly do people use the word "cancer" to describe all the things an athlete does that don't matter, but a guy who kills the team where it matters most, when it matters most, is almost universally considered exempt from the term?

I guess I just don't understand this universal joy on this board for drilling a player that by and large people liked for a long time. It borders on just plain strange, unsettling, and obsessive. I'm just overall morose and heavily disappointed that a goalie who's started here for so long with a Cup in the middle of that run is now pretty much the ultimate head case, even worse than his worst moments previously.

It's been evident all year aside from a game here and there that he needs gone asap, but I don't take any pleasure in Fleury sucking hard, but I guess individuals deal with sports stuff in their own way. I suppose countless pages of finding negative descriptors for Fleury is how some people do it.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
yup. oh well. frankly i don't think duchene was ever going to end up here anyway.

well apparently he can technically be traded... if jr wants his guy bad enough maybe something else can smooth it over

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
well apparently he can technically be traded... if jr wants his guy bad enough maybe something else can smooth it over

it would probably have to have been like be like maatta, fehr, 1st 2017, 2nd 2018 anyway. at this point we're probably talking sprong being the centerpiece

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
it would probably have to have been like be like maatta, fehr, 1st 2017, 2nd 2018 anyway. at this point we're probably talking sprong being the centerpiece
Why? The Avs don't care about this year. If they liked Maatta before this, they would still like him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If you want to get technical, maybe not.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/jets-f-evander-kane-will-have-shoulder-surgery-miss-4-6-months/

https://www.nhl.com/news/sabres-acquire-evander-kane-from-jets-in-trade/c-752865

It's not common, but it has happened where an injured player gets moved in a blockbuster.

Yup. Colorado would just have to be okay with it. Given that they are not doing well to begin with and are selling, Maatta out 6 weeks may not really matter to them. If anything, it helps them ensure a higher pick. I mean, they are all but a lock for #30...so not sure if it even matters.

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Maatta+Sprong+Fehr+1st for Duchene

Pouliot for Kulikov

MAF for Chad Johnson+3rd

Duchene-Crosby-Hornqvist/Sheary
Guentzel-Malkin-Kessel
Hagelin-Bonino-Hornqvist/Sheary
Kunitz-Cullen-Wilson

Dumoulin-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Kulikov-Daley

Murray
Johnson

Fordy

May 28, 2008
ya i have a feeling guentzel showing he can play any position doesn't bode well for our future star rw

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So here's a question, with the possibility of Duchene coming in, what do we do with Bonino? Possible he's a piece in a trade? Or would they look to run:

Sheary-Sid-Duchene
Guentzel-Malkin-Horny
HBK
Wilson-Cullen-Fehr/whoever

Then Duchene replaces Bones next year?

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
So here's a question, with the possibility of Duchene coming in, what do we do with Bonino? Possible he's a piece in a trade? Or would they look to run:

Sheary-Sid-Duchene
Guentzel-Malkin-Horny
HBK

trade his ass for a dman

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
If Maatta's injury does nix any potential trade, I guess the silver lining is that we'll have cap space to bring a guy like Kulikov.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
i guess but the whole injured-player-getting-traded-for-a-star thing seems like it almost never happens and there was massive value involved in the Kane deal

I tend to agree. I have the same gut feeling that this Maatta injury is bad for the Pens when it comes to a potential trade this year.

The situation is a bit unique though. I think we tend to think of scenarios when a star player is being shopped and the star gets hurt. It kills potential trades because contenders have no use for an injured player. Colorado isn't making the playoffs so it may not matter to them. It probably just comes down to whether they like the value/player or not and whether they think he'll make a full recovery from the injury, which seems likely given that it's just a broken hand. Maatta being out could even help them tank the rest of the way. :laugh:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
From the PGT because degen was a meanie and I couldn't think of another thread to go to.

Why? Were they in the offseason or something? I'm pretty sure Horton was traded at the deadline.

Pronger and Savard aren't going to play again and it's cap manipulation. Horton is done and it was because his contract wasn't insured so Columbus took Clarkson. Teams weren't acquiring players in those trades and it wasn't really trading an injured player, it was trading an essentially retired player.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016

Sheary-Sid-Duchene
Guentzel-Malkin-Horny
HBK

If we got Duchene and trading Bonino helps us improve our D I think you do it. Cullen could be our 3rd line C. Cullen can be replaced by Duchene on the PK which will keep his minutes in check.

Sheary-Crosby-Duchene
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Guentzel-Cullen-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Fehr-Wilson

Would be extremely difficult to shut down that top 6. 3rd line is still a scoring line while being good defensively. Rust still to come back too. Hornqvist can easily swap lines with Duchene too if Sully prefers have a star (that can carry the play) on each line.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
so are we 100% stuck with maatta now that he's out 6 weeks...

Depends on who we're trading him to. As long as (example) Colorado is confident that he'll bounce back 100%, it's not an issue to move him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad