Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXVI | Goals and Happiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They aren't trading Maatta, and I don't really know why people think there's a realistic chance it will happen. He's 22 and signed to a very reasonable contract for the next 5 seasons.

because there's an expansion draft coming, and we won't want to lose somebody for nothing. If we can trade a D for a forward worth protecting, and then replace the D with a rental for now and a free agent in the summer, then we're in a way better spot long term. If we don't make some sort of deal between now and the expansion draft, we are losing a player we don't want to lose with nothing to show for it.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
because there's an expansion draft coming, and we won't want to lose somebody for nothing. If we can trade a D for a forward worth protecting, and then replace the D with a rental for now and a free agent in the summer, then we're in a way better spot long term. If we don't make some sort of deal between now and the expansion draft, we are losing a player we don't want to lose with nothing to show for it.

Maatta is a player they are going to protect in the expansion draft, even at the expense of someone else they may not want to lose.

Every team is going to lose somebody for nothing in the expansion draft.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Maatta is a player they are going to protect in the expansion draft, even at the expense of someone else they may not want to lose.

Eh, we'll see. I don't see him as being as important as our 5-6 forwards and I see him as our 4th D going forward. And he's been our 6th D for a few weeks now. He just has a lot of stretches of really bad hockey. If he can be the key part of getting a guy like Duchene, I trade him in a heartbeat.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Im thinking more and more Duchene will be traded during the offseason. I feel like even if the Avs receive a good offer they will think they could get something better after the draft when there is no risk for other teams.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Im thinking more and more Duchene will be traded during the offseason. I feel like even if the Avs receive a good offer they will think they could get something better after the draft when there is no risk for other teams.

Could be. From the Colorado perspective they really don't have to move him by the deadline.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If Schultz and Maatta are out long term should we target Shatty and Kulikov? Playoffs roll around our pairings would be:

Dumo-Letang
Kulikov-Schultz
Maatta-Shattenkirk
Daley
Cole

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Way things are goin' atm.
I see JR snagging one of Kulikov, Quincey or Brendan Smith.

I dunno.
Perhaps theres a MAF move up his sleeve...?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If Schultz and Maatta are out long term should we target Shatty and Kulikov? Playoffs roll around our pairings would be:

Dumo-Letang
Kulikov-Schultz
Maatta-Shattenkirk
Daley
Cole

The right side of that blueline would run us about 18 million dollars. And Shattenkirk would most certianly be playing ahead of Schultz.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Way things are goin' atm.
I see JR snagging one of Kulikov, Quincey or Brendan Smith.

I dunno.
Perhaps theres a MAF move up his sleeve...?

I've always been a huge fan of Brendan Smith. A lot of good young defensemen on the market - Michael Stone, Brendan Smith, Dimitri Kulikov.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
**Mod Warning**

This is the trade/cap thread. If it's not about a trade rumor (from a linked source), a trade proposal/idea or the cap it's OT and doesn't belong here. If you want to discuss anything OT relating to either goalie, take it here

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I've always been a huge fan of Brendan Smith. A lot of good young defensemen on the market - Michael Stone, Brendan Smith, Dimitri Kulikov.

I kinda liked the idea of Brendan Smith also. Red Wings fans seem to consider him concentrated human ebola though.... so there's that.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

We're losing someone in the expansion draft no matter what. Unless we bribe LV.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
I kinda liked the idea of Brendan Smith also. Red Wings fans seem to consider him concentrated human ebola though.... so there's that.

FYI.....Brendan Smith got ripped last night in the NHL Game of the week by Roenick. Basically saying how bad he is and any GM that would want him should beware because he can't play defense.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
FYI.....Brendan Smith got ripped last night in the NHL Game of the week by Roenick. Basically saying how bad he is and any GM that would want him should beware because he can't play defense.

the same Roenick that said Crosby needed to pay attention to Drouin's work ethic?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We're losing someone in the expansion draft no matter what. Unless we bribe LV.

There's a pretty big difference between losing someone like Maatta for free and someone like Scott Wilson though.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Obviously. However there's ways to minimize the value of said player. Trading a D for a C thus allowing us to protect 7F/3D vs 4/4 is one of the easiest ways possible to minimize said loss - especially if we can replace that D (or most of their abilities and TOI) via a different trade for a FA D.

I mean lets say there's a way to get Smith or Kulikov at a semi reasonable price (say a 3rd+). And we can get Duchene for Maatta, 1st, Sprong. Does that not make us a better team this year? Sure we'd have to replace Maatta in the summer (Daley? Or another FA D?), and while that wouldn't be ideal, neither would it be impossible.

There's a pretty big difference between losing someone like Maatta for free and someone like Scott Wilson though.

This.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Dumo-Letang
Kulikov-Schultz
Maatta-Shattenkirk
Daley
Cole

I want nothing to do with Shattenkirk (unless it's 1-1 with MAF - which it obviously will not be). He will cost way too much - both to acquire and to resign. It sucks, but other than bringing in the best D we can possibly get at the most reasonable price, I'm not sure how deep we'd want to go. Lets say Schultz has a concussion. How long do you expect him to be out for? The TD is 2 weeks away. It's going to be pretty hard to properly evaluate him within that time span. Maatta, fortunately should be a lot easier. He'll either be ready or he won't be, and they will probably have a decent idea as to when that will be (whether it's days or weeks or months, who knows). But fortunately we have a little time to figure things out.

Also, it's fortunate that we already have 4 decent D, and Ruhwedel who's looked decent when he's been up. Wonder if DP will get a callup to see how he does for a game or two.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

I remember watching him in the playoffs several times and thinking the exact same thing. It looked like a career winger was put at D and asked to play 20 minutes a night. He does have impressive possession numbers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad