Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXV | Fire Sales and Bargain Bins

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Ya know .. a lot is being made of all of sheary's points being at ES. Which is fair because he isn't getting much pp time.

At what point does sully go "well this kid is lighting it up at ES with Sid. Let's throw him in the PP with Sid and see what happens.

Sure it means taking someone else off and I'm not sure who it would be. But .. does this thought process happen for sully?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Ya know .. a lot is being made of all of sheary's points being at ES. Which is fair because he isn't getting much pp time.

At what point does sully go "well this kid is lighting it up at ES with Sid. Let's throw him in the PP with Sid and see what happens.

Sure it means taking someone else off and I'm not sure who it would be. But .. does this thought process happen for sully?

Not as long as the other forwards are named Geno and Kessel plus either Horny or a D-man named Kris Letang.

Its fine that Sheary is on the second PP unit. That needs some talent too.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Not as long as the other forwards are named Geno and Kessel plus either Horny or a D-man named Kris Letang.

Its fine that Sheary is on the second PP unit. That needs some talent too.

Oh absolutely. There are 2 units for a reason and I totally get that.

Just thinking outside of pens think here.

PP1. Sid-Sheary-Horns/kunitz-Shultz/letang-rusty/jake

PP2. Geno-Kessel-Kunitz/horns-shultz/letang-rusty/jake

Find the right combo. Both of those are pretty lethal imo. One of them gets the advantage of the 2nd PK unit.

Again I know this is unlikely to happen. But it'd be interesting to see

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I think the only way Sheary gets more powerplay time is if they decided to break 10ish years of precedent and go with two balanced units. The main reason that has been contemplated this year is an overabundance of highly talented right-hand shots (Kessel and Letang, plus Schultz doing a better job than Letang). Ironically, though, two separate units doesn't leave them with enough skilled right-hand shots (Horny obviously belongs at the net instead of the left half-wall, and Rust doesn't really belong on a powerplay).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I like Sheary not being on the power play much. He's not a guy who can do limitless minutes and this keeps him fresh for 5v5 minutes.

Besides, our 1st choice PP doesn't need much changing now that Schultz is on it.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Why do we always wind up back in the "Sid is a diva who picks his own linemates and throws a tantrum when he doesn't get the right wingers" place? It's so foolish. It's been years. Under this theory, every single coach who has ever coached Crosby is a weak-willed moron who lets him run the show.

Here are things I believe that are completely independent of Crosby forcing Rust on his line because he spends the rest of his time putting a little Hornqvist voodoo doll in a blender and overfeeding a Kessel voodoo too many hot dogs:

1. Hornqvist and Malkin like playing together.
2. Sullivan is obsessed with forcing HBK and has been all year.

Why do we need the diva/voodoo doll theory?!

Note: this is what KIRK seems to be implying over and over. :popcorn:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kirk is saying they might be targeting an upgrade for Sid's RW, and Rust is just a placeholder. Especially if they're experimenting with Malkin/PH and keeping HBK intact.

This team becomes unfair if you can throw Rust with Cullen and Wilson/Kunitz.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Am I wrong in thinking Ruh and Gaunce have acquitted themselves pretty well in the absence of Letang and Dumo? I don't think a #7s a pressing need, even if you can never have enough quality depth.

I want to see more of them...but I'm starting to wonder the same thing. With that, last year I would have much rather had Lovejoy as the #7 than Pouliot or Warsofsky, ya know?

Beat me too it. I really don't see Bonino having the leverage to ask for much more than this. Smith outproduced him over the last 2 years (58 points in 124 games for Smith, 48 points in 109 games for Bonino), is also very good defensively and also has the luxury of being able to play wing.

Kirk is saying they might be targeting an upgrade for Sid's RW, and Rust is just a placeholder. Especially if they're experimenting with Malkin/PH and keeping HBK intact.

If you could get them to run:

Sheary-Sid-Trade that is ideally 50% Rust, 50% Hornqvist
Jake-Geno-Horny
HBK
Wilson-Cullen-Rust

Daaaaaaaaaaamn...

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I want to see more of them...but I'm starting to wonder the same thing. With that, last year I would have much rather had Lovejoy as the #7 than Pouliot or Warsofsky, ya know?

If you could get them to run:

Sheary-Sid-Trade that is ideally 50% Rust, 50% Hornqvist
Jake-Geno-Horny
HBK
Wilson-Cullen-Rust

Daaaaaaaaaaamn...

You know Kunitz will be there ;)

Any trade involving one of our better D men going out makes our forward group almost unbeatable over 7 games.

We have assets to get a replacement D. Emp brings up Hutton who's exempt who would work well in our system. I don't think we'd have to trade any starters to get him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Is that what he's hinting at? Because it's a weird thing to be coy about. Seemed more likely to be coy about this notion that Sid hates Hornqvist and demanded him be taken off his wing.

I also don't see where the cap space comes from to upgrade Sid's wing. Who goes the other way? Is this the miracle deal where somehow Colorado takes Fleury or Kunitz's salary so we can land Duchene?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Someone like Duchene means losing Maatta. He's the main piece needed to make the salary work and one of the few people with sufficient trade value to make a real upgrade work.

Don't know how the rest of it works but Maatta surely has to be the centrepiece.

edit: Although I didn't think that's what Kirk's been hinting at either.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why do we always wind up back in the "Sid is a diva who picks his own linemates and throws a tantrum when he doesn't get the right wingers" place? It's so foolish. It's been years. Under this theory, every single coach who has ever coached Crosby is a weak-willed moron who lets him run the show.

Did I miss something somewhere? Because I don't recall that being said (at least recently).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's what KIRK keeps implying.

When? Because I'm not seeing anything like that in this thread (and I just went back and looked). Or was this just something you randomly brought up because Kirk said/implied it last month?

Last edited:

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
When? Because I'm not seeing anything like that in this thread (and I just went back and looked).

Yeah I thought he was more implying that they are looking at a specific RW for Sid.

So far that's been Hornqvists only position that's worked. They had to see if they could make a line with Malkin and Hornqvist work . Looks like it will with Guentzel (Sully wants HBK).

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
When? Because I'm not seeing anything like that in this thread (and I just went back and looked). Or was this just something you randomly brought up because Kirk said/implied it last month?

And there's a reason neither is playing with him in real life. :popcorn:

What do you think this means?

Like Sidney the Kidney said, why be needlessly coy about targeting a RW and using Rust as a placeholder? The Crosby hates Hornqvist theory is a controversial one, thus :popcorn:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I know he's done it in GDTs recently. So many memorable mini rants, so many macho man gifs.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Hornqvist is best off as a third wheel on a scoring line. That's what he is with Guentzel and Malkin. I love Sheary, but he's best off not being a primary option on a 1st line either.

Every team has its weaknesses though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

There's also this string of quotes of Kirk's where he's being coy about why Hornqvist is no longer with Crosby.

Sounds more like an implication that Sid doesn't want to be with Hornqvist rather than because he believes there's going to be an acquisition for Sid's line.

As I keep saying, there's a reason Rust is with Crosby and Hornqvist is with Geno.

Yes-- and it's a trio I suspect Geno likes because it lets him play the style of hockey he prefers-- but that's not why Hornqvist isn't with Sid.

EDIT: The dots are there to connect

They're considering trading for a winger for Sid and want to make sure Geno/Horny can work together effectively OR Sully feels Horny helps Geno be more defensively responsible OR Geno really wants to play with the guy who was supposed to be 'his' winger to start with OR Sid doesn't want Horny on his line anymore

What do I win? :laugh:

One or two of your answers may be correct, and they may have nothing to do with Geno, but, as for your prize, since I've been telling you this for a month . . .

Apparently Sid the complainer is at it again. :help:

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
There's also this string of quotes of Kirk's where he's being coy about why Hornqvist is no longer with Crosby.

Sounds more like an implication that Sid doesn't want to be with Hornqvist rather than because he believes there's going to be an acquisition for Sid's line.

Apparently Sid the complainer is at it again. :help:

Thank you for this. Compiling it all really makes it obvious.

Remember when Sid forced Bylsma at knifepoint to keep him with Kunitz and Dupuis because he hated Iginla? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Apparently Sid the complainer is at it again.
:help:

This is for you and the other half dozen to a dozen people who are struggling to connect the dots and is from what I have gathered collectively from several fully public and other sources of information:

1. There is a reason why Hornqvist isn't with Sid.
2. It is NOT because Sid is a complainer or a diva or has made any requests.
3. It is not because Malkin has asked to play with Hornqvist (although he likes playing with Hornqvist).
4. It is not because a trade is necessarily on the horizon.

When you add it all up, this LITERALLY leaves only one option. It's a subtle one and requires about 2-3 sentences to flush out fully.

Whoever can figure it out gets a prize . . . a get out of an infraction free card from Cole. :sarcasm:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is for you and the other half dozen to a dozen people who are struggling to connect the dots and is from what I have gathered collectively from several fully public and other sources of information:

1. There is a reason why Hornqvist isn't with Sid.
2. It is NOT because Sid is a complainer or a diva or has made any requests.
3. It is not because Malkin has asked to play with Hornqvist (although he likes playing with Hornqvist).
4. It is not because a trade is necessarily on the horizon.

When you add it all up, this LITERALLY leaves only one option. It's a subtle one and requires about 2-3 sentences to flush out fully.

Whoever can figure it out gets a prize . . . a get out of an infraction free card from Cole. :sarcasm:

You can't just spell it out for those of us slow on the uptake to the blatantly obvious?

I just don't get the point of being coy about it rather than just saying exactly what you're inferring is the reason for Hornqvist not being on Sid's line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad