Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXV | Fire Sales and Bargain Bins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Am I wrong in thinking Ruh and Gaunce have acquitted themselves pretty well in the absence of Letang and Dumo? I don't think a #7s a pressing need, even if you can never have enough quality depth.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Zack Smith just signed a 4x3.25m extension. That should give one an idea as to what Bonino (or a similar player) will cost.

Beat me too it. I really don't see Bonino having the leverage to ask for much more than this. Smith outproduced him over the last 2 years (58 points in 124 games for Smith, 48 points in 109 games for Bonino), is also very good defensively and also has the luxury of being able to play wing.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Do not want Seidenberg. Doesn't bring anything that we made so successful last year in the postseason. He used to play a block shot type game and anymore is pretty bad. But as a #7.. meh. It is what it is.

As a precaution. A 1M cap hit impending UFA. A +19 playing about 20 minutes a night on a pedestrian at best defensively Isles team.

Look, JR will add someone, like he did last year with Schultz. Seidenberg wouldn't be my first choice, but with little cap space for JR he's the type I could see JR looking to add as a precaution.

KIRK;127254471Fact Check: True. That Sully regularly sent him out for defensive zone draws was VERY telling.QUOTE said:
Agreed. Which is as it should be seeing as how you are one of the people I learned how to see the game from.

Stick with ColePens for the tactics and 200 foot game evaluations. :laugh:

Beat me too it. I really don't see Bonino having the leverage to ask for much more than this. Smith outproduced him over the last 2 years (58 points in 124 games for Smith, 48 points in 109 games for Bonino), is also very good defensively and also has the luxury of being able to play wing.

If Bonino performs again in the playoffs, then he'll get more (may take less with the Pens, but it would be 4M+).

If Bonino doesn't perform this go around, then he's not worth 3.25M per to the Pens.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'd give both Schultz and Sheary show-me deals. 3 years. Sheary should be around 3 million, Schultz should be around 3.75 milion.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I see Schultz and Olli being really similar in terms of their contributions to the team.

Both averaging 18 or so minutes of ice.
Olli's counted on to PK and breaks close to even in zone starts.
Schultz's counted on for offence and gets heavier OZ starts(55.5%).

4M is right in the ball park of the max i'd go.
Hopefully, you get him at a little less. 3.9-.3.75.

As for a D pickup at the deadline, i see that middle pairing being the most worrisome.
Say both Olli and/or Daley suck when the PO's start.
Are you ok with moving Cole up + the depth in WB filling in or would you like to cement a Cole-Schultz 3rd pair and have an option to plug in a Seidenberg, for instance.
Probably the type of thing JR is thinking about.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I was hinting more at that being his base ask vs that being his max ask.

If Bonino performs again in the playoffs, then he'll get more (may take less with the Pens, but it would be 4M+).

If Bonino doesn't perform this go around, then he's not worth 3.25M per to the Pens.

Disagree. We'll need a #3C regardless of whether it's Bonino or someone else, and our FA options there are limited at best. I'd much rather spend 3.5m (or less) on Bonino and get the devil you know vs hoping that someone else can do the same or better, while spending just as much (if not more).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Am I wrong in thinking Ruh and Gaunce have acquitted themselves pretty well in the absence of Letang and Dumo? I don't think a #7s a pressing need, even if you can never have enough quality depth.

I liked both in camp and preseason. They're solid and the defense looks good with them.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I'm not sure the Pens will feel as comfortable about that for the playoffs as you. They won't overpay for it, but I think it's a focus.

I was hinting more at that being his base ask vs that being his max ask.

Disagree. We'll need a #3C regardless of whether it's Bonino or someone else, and our FA options there are limited at best. I'd much rather spend 3.5m (or less) on Bonino and get the devil you know vs hoping that someone else can do the same or better, while spending just as much (if not more).

Perhaps, but I suspect they'd let Bonino hit free agency and come back after seeing what's out there in that case instead of resigning him and exposing Rust or Sundqvist.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

I thought so as well. I was a little surprised to hear that we might be going after depth at D. That said, maybe we're going after depth at D because Maatta might potentially be on the move? I dunno, kinda just thinking out loud. I really do think we have an outside chance at landing Duchene, I haven't given up on that pipe dream yet.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I thought so as well. I was a little surprised to hear that we might be going after depth at D. That said, maybe we're going after depth at D because Maatta might potentially be on the move? I dunno, kinda just thinking out loud. I really do think we have an outside chance at landing Duchene, I haven't given up on that pipe dream yet.

Pipe dreams are healthy. :popcorn:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I still think Maatta and Sprong for Duchene (add wherever it's needed) and then trading Rust for a young LD is a really smart use of assets, assuming that Sheary, Schultz and Dumoulin don't break the bank with their new extensions.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
As a precaution. A 1M cap hit impending UFA. A +19 playing about 20 minutes a night on a pedestrian at best defensively Isles team.

Look, JR will add someone, like he did last year with Schultz. Seidenberg wouldn't be my first choice, but with little cap space for JR he's the type I could see JR looking to add as a precaution.

Stick with ColePens for the tactics and 200 foot game evaluations. :laugh:

Oh Cole is certainly high on the list, there are about a dozen top hockey minds here IMO.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Fehr for Gilbert makes sense to me. Both guys are similarly buried on their team's depth chart. We have minor leaguers outside of our top 6 D pretty much. LA has a garbage 4th line. And if they've been paying attention, Fehr is a decent 4C who could get even better in a slower system and division.

I'll admit I haven't seen much of Gilbert recently. But in the past he had the tools who could fit here. Expiring contract at 1.4 mil as well.

And I concur with Kirk. I think JR adds that type of D-man no matter what. Hopefully it's using a forward we don't need rather than picks, but whatever. But he'll also look for that acquisition that'll put us over the top. Impact D-man or winger for Sid. If we want to go on a run the next few years, you have to separate yourselves from the pack as much as possible. Even if it means giving up a bit of your future several years down the line.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Who do people want that's feasible as a winger for Sid?

Also, I'd rather trade Bonino than Fehr at this point.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Who do people want that's feasible as a winger for Sid?

Also, I'd rather trade Bonino than Fehr at this point.

Feasible? I doubt they make a big move and anything else would be lateral from Rust. So... someone in the system right now. Guys like Landeskog, E Kane, Duchene or JVR might be moved but I don't think the Pens will be involved.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Perhaps, but I suspect they'd let Bonino hit free agency and come back after seeing what's out there in that case instead of resigning him and exposing Rust or Sundqvist.

Yeah, I don't see him having played well enough for us to sign him before the ED. I guess that could change with a great playoffs, but as of now, even though I want to sign him, I wouldn't be doing it until after the ED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad