Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXIV | You ain't landin' Landy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
he's a good bit better. But no. That said, EDM overpaid to get a top pairing D imo.

Okay lets say they overpayed with Hall but Hall also has more value. So lets say it could come down to Larson for Landeskog, then what would you add if its Maatta instead of Larson? I don't think it would be that much or at least not as much as ppl think it would be

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Larson is better than Maatta though.

Eh I don't know about that. I've always really liked Larsson as a player, but I never would say that he's anything but equal to Maatta. Larsson is basically Maatta today with stronger skating, that's about it. Larsson is a stronger skater and Maatta is better offensively overall, but outside of that, I think they're pretty even.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Eh I don't know about that. I've always really liked Larsson as a player, but I never would say that he's anything but equal to Maatta. Larsson is basically Maatta today with stronger skating, that's about it. Larsson is a stronger skater and Maatta is better offensively overall, but outside of that, I think they're pretty even.
Okay lets say they overpayed with Hall but Hall also has more value. So lets say it could come down to Larson for Landeskog, then what would you add if its Maatta instead of Larson? I don't think it would be that much or at least not as much as ppl think it would be

yeah, I really disagree. Maatta is a decent 2nd pairing guy. Larsson is a good top pairing guy. Maatta needs to get his offense back to even make it a conversation imo.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
indeed. I think they way undersold Hall just like the Avs would be doing if we didn't have a significant add to Maatta for Lando. Like I said though, if they want to get ripped off, I'll take it.

Yeah the Avs aren't in the same position as the Oilers where they feel they need to overpay.

That said I see no way we trade Maatta unless it was a massive overpayment. I can't see them trading a kid who's working his way back from cancer. I'd feel Mario wouldn't be impressed by any suggestion to trade Maatta at this stage.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah the Avs aren't in the same position as the Oilers where they feel they need to overpay.

That said I see no way we trade Maatta unless it was a massive overpayment. I can't see them trading a kid who's working his way back from cancer. I'd feel Mario wouldn't be impressed by any suggestion to trade Maatta at this stage.

I hope we don't trade him, but I also hope that's not why we keep him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
yeah, I really disagree. Maatta is a decent 2nd pairing guy. Larsson is a good top pairing guy. Maatta needs to get his offense back to even make it a conversation imo.

Eh I don't know about this. It's skewed because of how uncharacteristically bad Maatta has been offensively this year, but I don't there's a huge difference here. Larsson is a fringe #2/3 (same as Dumoulin and Maatta when they're playing at their best). Dumoulin and Larsson are essentially the same player.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Eh I don't know about this. It's skewed because of how uncharacteristically bad Maatta has been offensively this year, but I don't there's a huge difference here. Larsson is a fringe #2/3 (same as Dumoulin and Maatta when they're playing at their best). Dumoulin and Larsson are essentially the same player.

I disagree. Larsson's standard is Dumoulin and Maatta's best. Dumoulin has played at that level for a few months in his career. I think he'll get there again, but he's not there this year. Maatta hasn't played at that level in over two years. Can he get back to it? Maybe. He hasn't yet. Larsson is a much better player than either Maatta or Dumoulin have looked this year. Maatta this year is closer to a #5 than a legit #2.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I hope we don't trade him, but I also hope that's not why we keep him.

The fact that he's a good player and still improving (and only 22) is the reason we keep him.

The other stuff is why it'd take a no brainer to good to refuse type deal to trade him and no one is going to offer us that.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The fact that he's a good player and still improving (and only 22) is the reason we keep him.

The other stuff is why it'd take a no brainer to good to refuse type deal to trade him and no one is going to offer us that.

I think the expansion draft could potentially force our hand. Maybe not moving him, but a d-man. I don't necessarily expect it, but I would understand trading a 4th D for a 7th F to protect. And if you make me pick between Dumo, Schultz, and Maatta, and I trade Maatta.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I think the expansion draft could potentially force our hand. Maybe not moving him, but a d-man. I don't necessarily expect it, but I would understand trading a 4th D for a 7th F to protect. And if you make me pick between Dumo, Schultz, and Maatta, and I trade Maatta.

Fair enough. I'd trade Dumo but it all depends on what the best value you can get while making the team better (or at least equal) this year for the cup run. A back to back would be huge!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Fair enough. I'd trade Dumo but it all depends on what the best value you can get while making the team better (or at least equal) this year for the cup run. A back to back would be huge!

It would be really hard to trade either mid-season. We'd need to replace them at LD.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I wouldn't be against trading anyone aside from Sid, Geno, Kessel, Letang, or Murray. 5 untouchables.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
It would be really hard to trade either mid-season. We'd need to replace them at LD.

Yeah I think Smith (or someone similar) could be gettable from Detroit in another trade. By all reports he'll be traded. Obviously not as good as Maatta/Dumo but the addition up front would put lots of strain on the opposition.

Alternatively does Daley go with Letang, Schultz moves into the top 4 and you get a good bottom pair D that can play in the top 4 if injuries happen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah I think Smith (or someone similar) could be gettable from Detroit in another trade. By all reports he'll be traded. Obviously not as good as Maatta/Dumo but the addition up front would put lots of strain on the opposition.

Alternatively does Daley go with Letang, Schultz moves into the top 4 and you get a good bottom pair D that can play in the top 4 if injuries happen.

Yeah, that's what we'd have to do. But man does Daley not look great this year. And worse on the left imo.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Yeah, that's what we'd have to do. But man does Daley not look great this year. And worse on the left imo.

Yeah he's almost they guy to go on the bottom pair with Cole. With the way Schultz has played hard not to have him in the top 4 (although he's getting those minutes that Dumos out)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm not specifically against moving Maatta. But I'm against trading from a weakness (D) to add to a strength (F).

He's a bottom pairing guy here this season. You don't think we can pick up a 4/5 and a depth D?

Maatta isn't a match with Daley. And Dumoulin has the better track record with Letang.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He's a bottom pairing guy here this season. You don't think we can pick up a 4/5 and a depth D?

Maatta isn't a match with Daley. And Dumoulin has the better track record with Letang.

I want to see Maatta and Schultz. Schultz is way outplaying Daley.

We need a 2nd pairing LD. Whether its Maatta or a trade, I don't care. But we can't trade Maatta without getting a 2nd pairing LD from somewhere.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Landy is a guy you acquire to play with Geno.

Duchene is a guy you acquire to play with Sid.

There's a reason Horny is playing with Geno, and it's not because the Pens are married to a Sheary-Sid-Rust line.

I think Duchene is the target.

Only problem is that means Horny plays with Geno, and if that's the case, the Pens are better off trading Horny because Geno is better off with what the Pens can get for Horny than they are with him playing with Horny.

EDIT: Ogre, if the big deal happens with Colorado AND Maatta goes, I think JR takes back Tyutin and makes a move for a Seidenberg and then hopes with Dumo's return and Schultz's improved play it will be enough.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think Landeskog could play with anyone. Duchene has the three position versatility and with Bonino sucking as much as he does, he could play 3C for a stretch and allow Kessel to move up.

Tough call especially with Landeskog signed longer. But then again, I'd sooner extend Duchene than Landeskog at 28.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad