Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part XVI | Contract/FA charts, cap info in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Overall next years free agents are bad but Marchand would be perfect if guys like wilson/sheary/kuhn dont take a top-6 spot.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I just saw that Crosby reached out to Vesey.

penguins.jpeg

If you become my buddy you have a job no matter how you play for the next 30 years.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I won't believe anything regarding Vesey until the ink is dry.

I'm just happy we have something fresh to discuss right now.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Let's say we get Vesey just for kicks. How would you construct the lines? I think I'd try out Vesey with Geno first and go something like:

Sheary/Wilson/Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Vesey-Malkin-Rust
HBK
Kuhn-Cullen-Fehr

That leaves 2 of Sheary, Wilson, Kunitz out of every day lineup assuming Vesey sticks. We know they aren't sitting Kunitz so what do we do with Sheary and Wilson? Depth is great, but I think I'd want Wilson getting playing time since he's had injuries in back to back seasons. I believe he can be sent down to AHL (even though he will make his full NHL salary).

A downside to HBK is that you can't give someone like Vesey L3 time, it's either top 6 or 4th line. I want to see if Wilson could be a Neal type of triggerman for Malkin, though, and I think some people have similar feelings about Kuhnhackl.

Really it would be

Kunitz/X-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz/X-Malkin-Rust
HBK
Kuhnhackl/X-Cullen-Fehr

So one top 6 spot and one 4th line spot for Vesey, Sheary, Wilson and Kuhnhackl. Just for kicks would be equal competition for spots and how players fit but that won't happen. Wilson might start in the AHL if he doesn't force their hand in the preseason because he's coming off an injury and hasn't been the pinnacle of durability in the NHL. Sheary is also so inconsistent that he's an unknown. In a dream world, if they get Vesey and all of the young guys look good, then Kunitz gets traded to make room.

That's with Sprong injured and Guentzel and other WBS guys being AHL bound.

I just saw that Crosby reached out to Vesey.

"Please. He's got even less iron now."

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
A downside to HBK is that you can't give someone like Vesey L3 time, it's either top 6 or 4th line. I want to see if Wilson could be a Neal type of triggerman for Malkin, though, and I think some people have similar feelings about Kuhnhackl.

Really it would be

Kunitz/X-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz/X-Malkin-Rust
HBK
Kuhnhackl/X-Cullen-Fehr

So one top 6 spot and one 4th line spot for Vesey, Sheary, Wilson and Kuhnhackl. Just for kicks would be equal competition for spots and how players fit but that won't happen. Wilson might start in the AHL if he doesn't force their hand in the preseason because he's coming off an injury and hasn't been the pinnacle of durability in the NHL. Sheary is also so inconsistent that he's an unknown. In a dream world, if they get Vesey and all of the young guys look good, then Kunitz gets traded to make room.

That's with Sprong injured and Guentzel and other WBS guys being AHL bound.

Yeah I like HBK a lot, but during the pre season and regular season they should try different combos. Maybe you even go:

Hagelin-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Kessel
Vesey-Bones-Rust
Kuhn-Cullen-Fehr

You could try different things to get Vesey accustomed to the NHL if you wanted to and still have 4 good lines. I really wish we could just get rid of Kunitz and stick Wilson in there.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Yeah I like HBK a lot, but during the pre season and regular season they should try different combos. Maybe you even go:

Hagelin-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Kessel
Vesey-Bones-Rust
Kuhn-Cullen-Fehr

You could try different things to get Vesey accustomed to the NHL if you wanted to and still have 4 good lines. I really wish we could just get rid of Kunitz and stick Wilson in there.

Offloading Kunitz and maybe Fleury around Christmas time seems like a GMJR type move to me. He loves those midseason adjustments.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I imagine that these conversations are always slightly awkward, but Sid better have been ****ing charming and selling it. Mention not needing to be supervised to avoid legal trouble.

Hagelin-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Kessel
Vesey-Bones-Rust
Kuhn-Cullen-Fehr

Preseason should be about trying whatever, assuming that everyone is healthy you'd see what Vesey looked like with all 3 and the same for Kessel. The regular season I'd bet money starts with HBK and I'm fairly meh about HCH anyway.

God damn Kunitz.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I imagine that these conversations are always slightly awkward, but Sid better have been ****ing charming and selling it. Mention not needing to be supervised to avoid legal trouble.

Preseason should be about trying whatever, assuming that everyone is healthy you'd see what Vesey looked like with all 3 and the same for Kessel. The regular season I'd bet money starts with HBK and I'm fairly meh about HCH anyway.

God damn Kunitz.

preseason is about having an open competition where kunitz plays on crosby's wing every single game

ChrisKuuuunitz

4 time champ
Jan 14, 2015
there
They should have had Geno call him and it could have went like:

you come Pittsburgh, be wing, play Sid, score goals, win cup, make fun of Potash.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
There are still a few around here who honestly think that Kunitz is a great player because of possession stats. Boggles my mind.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

His HF description also sounds like Rust too:

DiPauli is an interesting case. Prior to the 2014-15 season, his third at Notre Dame, he was a high-energy two-way player with limited offensive upside (just 17 points in 67 games). Then, he burst onto the scene with a 21 assist, 29 point effort in 41 games for the Irish last season. He is good on faceoffs and works hard at both ends of the ice, so his offensive explosion is likely due to an uptick in ice time and improved line mates. In any event, he is a strong two-way center with a high motor and strong skating ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad