Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Feels very lazy & easy for them to simply fire Keefe and then bring in the anti-Keefe, with little thought.

You could also go and hire a coach that preaches accountability, and is actually a good tactician and an X's and O's guy - Gallant, BDA, etc.

Berube isn't the answer here. Things flamed out spectacularly in St. Louis - seems to be an awful communicator, and not a great coach

:laugh:

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Reading reports Keefe may actually end up coaching for Dubas in Pittsburgh. Imagine Keefe coached them into the playoffs and the Leafs somehow matchup with them lol . They need some personnel upgrades not sure Keefe will be enough to make them a playoff team.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
The Leafs already have a lot of this. What they don't have is Quinn Hughes or Thatcher Demko.
Or a top 4 player that doesnt mind getting their nose dirty

Reading reports Keefe may actually end up coaching for Dubas in Pittsburgh. Imagine Keefe coached them into the playoffs and the Leafs somehow matchup with them lol . They need some personnel upgrades not sure Keefe will be enough to make them a playoff team.
Pitts and the playoffs in the near future?....lol good one randy

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
And their way of doing things has been so successful that we should continue down that path?

Besides, they aren't in charge. If they won't listen, they get shipped out for players who will.
I'm not saying keep doing the same thing. I'm saying replace the outgoing head coach with an actual good coach. People see Berube raising his voice in a clip from a year ago, and think he's a good coach, completely ignoring the rest of his track record.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I hope Craig berube isn't the leading candidate because he has a Stanley Cup ring.
His playoff coaching record including the Stanley Cup year is 27W-28L.

One magical 16-10 run and 11-18 otherwise
Without Binnington, I highly doubt that he has a ring. Having said that, if you want accountability, he is the coach you want.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

If that happens we should take a good look at Sullivan

Reactions: trellaine201

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Saw this on twitter thought it was interesting to post here. Imagine the crap storm that would ensue in Toronto Media if Berube was the head coach and so direct though :laugh:

P.S. btw is anyone feeling any mental fatigue for Leafs hockey? Or is it just me lol. Btw I should mention work has been very mentally exhausting too for me

that video poses the question why would Berube even consider the Leafs as his next coaching assignment..........

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Some of those Blues players are built much tougher & with more fortitude than this Leafs team, and they basically grew tired of Berube's messaging; it didn't work there.

They won the f***ing Cup. It worked there.

The idea that some iron-fisted authoritarian is going to fix this team, is such a ridiculous suggestion.

Um no, it isn't. The players are not in charge; if they don't listen to their boss and play his way then they can be shipped out for players who will.

I completely understand the need to bring in a coach that will show more accountability to the core, and create a culture of meritocracy & taking responsibility. I think many people are failing to understand the need to bring in an actual good hockey coach though.

So in your world Cup winning coaches aren't good coaches? Got it.

I'm not saying keep doing the same thing. I'm saying replace the outgoing head coach with an actual good coach. People see Berube raising his voice in a clip from a year ago, and think he's a good coach, completely ignoring the rest of his track record.

Like his Cup ring? Yeah, why bother paying any attention to that eh?

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
You assume they aren't talking to other candidates just because it's not widely reported. Also sometimes the guy you want is the guy you want. Not sure a corporate interview with canned answers will help a whole lot. If they/you want NHL experience in the position, the field is already severely limited. With that said, I do wish they wouldn't be scared or unwilling to go after someone regardless of their NHL experience because I think finding the next Cooper or whatever is awhole lot better than the current crop of NHL veteran coaches.
Naw. They just started formal interviews. It started on Saturday. If we were to offer Berube the job on the first day that wouldn't be doing his job. Go out, go interview. You come back to Berube I'm fine with.

Reactions: SprDaVE

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
It would be an irresponsible process if Tre just handed over the job to Berube.
This organization hasn't done a thorough search in a decade. Not to say interviewing 3-4 guys is thorough by any means but its better than just handing someone the gig without doing proper due diligence.

If Berube is the guy after this process is over I will trust Brad

It is cute that you think this process only started when Keefe was fired.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I'm not saying keep doing the same thing. I'm saying replace the outgoing head coach with an actual good coach.

So like someone who has proven he can turn a team around, mould it into a winner, and then go and actually win the Cup? Hmm, who does that sound like?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
One of my concerns if they hire Berube (or any other coach that has a pair) is what will happen the first time he calls the stars out publicly for their lack of passion, not earning their money, etc.

Does he get an immediate call from an incensed Shanahan who orders him to issue a statement fully walking back his comments or does management stand by their coach?
exactly why Shanahan should have been fired............

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
They won the f***ing Cup. It worked there.

Um no, it isn't. The players are not in charge; if they don't listen to their boss and play his way then they can be shipped out for players who will.

So in your world Cup winning coaches aren't good coaches? Got it.

Like his Cup ring? Yeah, why bother paying any attention to that eh?

The good news for everyone obsessed with rings so much is that if Berube chooses someone else, Carlyle is available. Hard nosed authoritarian with a ring, what’s not to like?

Reactions: WillNy29

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The good news for everyone obsessed with rings so much is that if Berube chooses someone else, Carlyle is available. Hard nosed authoritarian with a ring, what’s not to like?
I'm actually not against Carlyle for some reason. If he promises to do a 180 on his system than sure.

• Wow
Reactions: mehavecable

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
To be honest, why would any reputable coach wanna come here when they see the idiotic way this team is built around 4 relatively soft forwards who take up so much of the cap?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't really care about shelf life at this point, we're in win now. He isn't my top pick either but coaches don't last anyways so it's irrelevant to me. Look at all the changes in last year.
fan's are already worried that a tough coach will not be liked by the players and they'll probably tune him out or worse quit on him, this says all you need to say about why this team needs to eviscerate the core and find players with heart..........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad