Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part XI | Contract/FA charts in post #1 | Cap set at $73M

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
To be clear he has been on a team that has 3 SC finals. He also did play one game in the playoffs. Also when the coach says be ready to go in, it is in fact a vote of confidence as MS knows the value of MAF. If he isn't hurt, he is the stater. To his credit, Murray was unreal for being a very inexperience goalie. But MAF isn't chopped liver and has real big time value. Quite frankly, his contract is very good and affordable.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
To be clear he has been on a team that has 3 SC finals. He also did play one game in the playoffs. Also when the coach says be ready to go in, it is in fact a vote of confidence as MS knows the value of MAF. If he isn't hurt, he is the stater. To his credit, Murray was unreal for being a very inexperience goalie. But MAF isn't chopped liver and has real big time value. Quite frankly, his contract is very good and affordable.

And he's an Olympic gold medalist to boot!

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think Sheary is exempt. Only played two years so far and has not exceeded the games played.

Nope. It was 3 pro season or 60 NHL games due to when he signed his NHL contract. He has 66 NHL games, and is thus waiver eligible.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
And he's an Olympic gold medalist to boot!

Yep.

I like MAF. Seems like a good guy. And if we're being honest with ourselves he's a very good goalie. But he's not the goalie for PIT. And that doesn't have anything to do with Murray, but more so his past playoff struggles. Every time he lets in a weak or questionable goal you're going to have half the team grip their sticks tighter based completely on how he's handled things in the past. Yet he could leave here, and never have those same pressures. His new teammates wouldn't have the same fears.

Personally, for the Penguins and for Fleury, I hope he's traded and goes on to have a great career. He's a good guy and a very good goalie, and for everyone's sake, it's time. Thanks for the 09 cup, thanks for the regular seasons where you dragged the team to the playoffs, and even though you didn't play, as a Canadian, thanks for the 2010 gold.

But as a Pen fan, I hope you're not here come Oct.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Question. How many starting goalies have been moved mid season? Because when I look at those who've moved, other than Miller and Halak, all I see is the 1A/1B types (Reimer, Neuvirth, etc). Which means statistically, I think it's a massive mistake to bet that MAF can be added to that list.

Probably about the same amount that have had their jobs taken by rookie goalies en route to a Cup. ;)

It's exceptionally rare that a top 15 goalie, at a decent age, on a good contract, becomes available.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Yep.

I like MAF. Seems like a good guy. And if we're being honest with ourselves he's a very good goalie. But he's not the goalie for PIT. And that doesn't have anything to do with Murray, but more so his past playoff struggles. Every time he lets in a weak or questionable goal you're going to have half the team grip their sticks tighter based completely on how he's handled things in the past. Yet he could leave here, and never have those same pressures. His new teammates wouldn't have the same fears.

Personally, for the Penguins and for Fleury, I hope he's traded and goes on to have a great career. He's a good guy and a very good goalie, and for everyone's sake, it's time. Thanks for the 09 cup, thanks for the regular seasons where you dragged the team to the playoffs, and even though you didn't play, as a Canadian, thanks for the 2010 gold.

But as a Pen fan, I hope you're not here come Oct.

Well said Riptide. These are my feelings also (minus the thanks for the Olympic Gold....GB not been so good since 1936).

I think JR is too intelligent and business minded to screw up and let us go beyond the draft with MAF and MM, let alone begin the season with both.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
St Louis fans seem to think moving Elliot is dumb. Bishop would be dumb to give up his UFA day next July 1. I honestly don't think it gets any easier for Calgary and Pittsburgh. It's one of those hockey deals that just makes too much sense. I don't think there is a real reason to posture here. It's a hockey trade that makes tons of sense.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I think it'll end up being Fleury for both Calgary 2nds. Rutherford has relatively little leverage but Calgary does need a goalie, and Fleury is both cheaper than Bishop and significantly better than Reimer

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
St Louis fans seem to think moving Elliot is dumb. Bishop would be dumb to give up his UFA day next July 1. I honestly don't think it gets any easier for Calgary and Pittsburgh. It's one of those hockey deals that just makes too much sense. I don't think there is a real reason to posture here. It's a hockey trade that makes tons of sense.

I agree. I believe if a deal between Calgary and Pittsburgh doesn't get done the comment from Treliving will be "The price for MAF was just too high, we couldn't do it".

In which case, they do the back up of Bishop and spend the assets. If that doesn't work, gotta think Elliot is the back up back up.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
I think it'll end up being Fleury for both Calgary 2nds. Rutherford has relatively little leverage but Calgary does need a goalie, and Fleury is both cheaper than Bishop and significantly better than Reimer

Calgary has 3 2nd round picks. One of them better be the #35 pick and not the two late ones

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I agree. I believe if a deal between Calgary and Pittsburgh doesn't get done the comment from Treliving will be "The price for MAF was just too high, we couldn't do it".

In which case, they do the back up of Bishop and spend the assets. If that doesn't work, gotta think Elliot is the back up back up.

Bishop holds all the cards does he not? Also, do we even know if Fleury is willing to go to Calgary? Maybe I missed something. Otherwise maybe there's no news because they literally can't deal him??

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

It does make sense. My only fear is JR will stick to his guns and ask too much.

It's one thing to ask high to start the bidding, but at some point you can't dig in your heels and say, "Sixth overall pick or we're done here" and expect Calgary to blink first.

Hopefully JR doesn't end up biting himself in the ass because he absolutely insisted on that first round pick, or absolutely needed pick 57 in the second round rather than pick 66 in the third round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad