Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part XI | Contract/FA charts in post #1 | Cap set at $73M

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratosphere

Mar 19, 2010
MAF is probably sticking around for another season. Aside from the fact that the Pens are going to need him (Murray still has a lot of work to do, IMO), it just doesn't seem like there is much out there in terms of suitors. Might happen, but the % is low.

Looking forward to seeing more of Murray for sure, but MAF in the mix won't hurt our chances of seeing another Cup.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Didn't Rust, Kuhn, and Wilson all get 1-way deals this year? I think Sheary, Sundqvist, and Pouliot are the only guys that can be sent up and down without waivers.

Thats not the way it works. One way and two way contracts have nothing to do with waiver eligiblity.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Didn't Rust, Kuhn, and Wilson all get 1-way deals this year? I think Sheary, Sundqvist, and Pouliot are the only guys that can be sent up and down without waivers.

Yes Rust, Kuhn, and Wilson all received 1 way deals but that doesn't have anything to do with waivers. It just means if they are sent to the AHL, they will still be paid 600K or whatever their cap hits are. Essentially, that means they aren't going to be sent down though.

Does anyone know if Sheary is waiver exempt? If so, then I agree with Seal on sending him up and down. If not, then I think our roster is pretty much set.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This is how I imagine everyone in this thread right now trying to piece together who goes where and for what in return.

OqEzkPX.jpg

Naw. I'm just hitting refresh on this page and the trade forums every few minutes. But I'm not really stressing about it - at least not yet.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
MAF is probably sticking around for another season. Aside from the fact that the Pens are going to need him (Murray still has a lot of work to do, IMO), it just doesn't seem like there is much out there in terms of suitors. Might happen, but the % is low.

Looking forward to seeing more of Murray for sure, but MAF in the mix won't hurt our chances of seeing another Cup.

Have you been living under a rock? The expansion draft says we are required to protect Fleury. If they don't trade him this off season, their chances of doing so go down significantly next off season.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

1way/2way contracts play no part in waivers. It's all based on games played and how many pro seasons you have and when you signed.

Pouliot, Sundqvist and Wilson all have 1 season left where they can go to WBS without passing through waivers.

Sheary, Kuhnhackl and Rust would all have to clear waivers.

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.
Anyone else follow Total Sports Entertainment on Twitter? They sell lots of signed Pittsburgh merch. Anyway, saw a bunch of new tweets up on my tab and got excited someone got traded (I only use this Twitter account for hockey news :nod:) but instead it was just them sending out like 20 tweets saying they posted a new picture to Facebook. I am angered and on edge. I unfollowed them immediately ):<

EDIT: also, I just got Panda Express and the fortune in my fortune cookie says "Beware of an offer that sounds too good to be true."

So... we get Calgary's 1st round pick but then reach? That's what I'm going with.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
1way/2way contracts play no part in waivers. It's all based on games played and how many pro seasons you have and when you signed.

Pouliot, Sundqvist and Wilson all have 1 season left where they can go to WBS without passing through waivers.

Sheary, Kuhnhackl and Rust would all have to clear waivers.

Thanks Rip. Do you really see the Pens paying Wilson 600K in the minors? That seems unlikely to me unless they bring in someone else for the big club. I think it's likely our roster is set up front other than a possible Kunitz trade or Cullen re-signing.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

1 way vs 2 way has nothing to do with waivers. It has to do with how much you are paid in the AHL vs NHL.

Example, Porter will get 70k / yr in AHL and $575k / yr in NHL. So break that down into per game dollars...and that's how they are paid for 2 way contracts. 1 way, you get the full amount regardless. So while it's easier to justify 2 ways coming up and down so that you're not paying an AHL guys $675k/yr it doesn't have to do with waivers. Scott Wilson is still waivers exempt as per Cap Friendly. Pouliot and Sundqvist too.

Klimchuk and Shinkaruk are both on their ELCs so...either would be nice.

EndlessBigMacs

Apr 27, 2016
Pittsburgh
Anyone else follow Total Sports Entertainment on Twitter? They sell lots of signed Pittsburgh merch. Anyway, saw a bunch of new tweets up on my tab and got excited someone got traded (I only use this Twitter account for hockey news :nod:) but instead it was just them sending out like 20 tweets saying they posted a new picture to Facebook. I am angered and on edge. I unfollowed them immediately ):<

Did you call the cops?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Bishop will be 1.5 to 2 million in higher cost. For those who believe that is worth it due to age or play, Bishop is 1 and a half years younger. Hardly a significant difference. MAF, three SC finals. He plays on a team that was not defensive in nature and counted on his big time ability to save the day. If Calgary is to get going, they need to get a big time goalie.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
EDIT: also, I just got Panda Express and the fortune in my fortune cookie says "Beware of an offer that sounds too good to be true."

So... we get Calgary's 1st round pick but then reach? That's what I'm going with.

Calgary trade to acquire another top 10 pick to pay Jim off. Jim goes "Lulz, 6OA or gtfo". Treliving walks. Clearly it is destiny :amazed:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I would be happy with mostly picks returns on any trade, like for MAF.

Unlike previous years I do not see this as a team with noticeable holes per se.

I keep reading on the trade board, and in articles, that the Pens are desperate for defense, or some other untrue truism, but the truth of the matter is that there was not a single team who had a solution for what this Pens' team did. And that was true over a long period of team, through most of the time that Sullivan was coach.

Winning the cup took some luck, it always does, but it does not change the fact that none of the teams that we played could do better than try and slow what the Pens did and try and keep up.

That 'flawed' defense held San Jose to two shots in the third period of the cup clinching game. They held most teams to under 7 or 8 shots in each of the first couple of periods of almost every game in the playoffs.

The offense outscored everyone since March, and by a very wide margin.

Their puck possession stats were some of the best in playoff history.

They will have some very replaceable parts to replace, three or four perhaps, but this team can and should go into this season pretty much intact and MAKE other teams show that they can handle them, in ways that none could this playoffs and before.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Bishop will be 1.5 to 2 million in higher cost. For those who believe that is worth it due to age or play, Bishop is 1 and a half years younger. Hardly a significant difference. MAF, three SC finals. He plays on a team that was not defensive in nature and counted on his big time ability to save the day. If Calgary is to get going, they need to get a big time goalie.

Good point. For some reason I thought Bishop was 3 years younger than Fleury. 18 months younger or whatever, plus 2MM more, plus bigger return makes Fleury a more attractive option IMO. Elliott is the same age as Fleury and has never played a full season as a number 1. Fleury seems like the right option for Calgary.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm not going to quote everyone that corrected me, so I'll just say a general thank you :laugh:

I find it unlikely they will pay Wilson that much money to play in the AHL though. Unless they need to send him down for a little bit as a paper move or something. And there's little to no chance they would risk losing any of the guys that would require waivers.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013

Fleury didn't play in 3 stanley cup finals, or even get his team to a third stanley cup finals, though. MAF may have gotten the team to the playoffs, which he certainly deserves credit for. But he did not get the team to the finals this year. He dropped the ball in the conference finals when he was given his only chance of the playoffs. And he didn't even play a single game in the actual cup finals.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Fleury didn't play in 3 stanley cup finals, or even get his team to a third stanley cup finals, though. MAF may have gotten the team to the playoffs, which he certainly deserves credit for. But he did not get the team to the finals this year. He dropped the ball in the conference finals when he was given his only chance of the playoffs. And he didn't even play a single game in the actual cup finals.

Right but that's not the important part of his point.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Thanks Rip. Do you really see the Pens paying Wilson 600K in the minors? That seems unlikely to me unless they bring in someone else for the big club. I think it's likely our roster is set up front other than a possible Kunitz trade or Cullen re-signing.

All depends. If he's not getting regular minutes, yeah perhaps on a short term basis. I mean with BB who will eventually get signed, we have 13Fs for next season (Sundqvist and Porter sent to WBS). So assuming he doesn't tank training camp, I'm guessing he'll be up and getting games this season.

I think the contracts (for all of them) was more so to get them to sign cheap 2 year deals then any sort of guarantee that they'd be in the NHL vs WBS. If their play is close and the other guy is on a 2 way, then yeah it gives them a leg up (probably), but I think this was more PIT evaluating them and deciding that all 3 were close and at some point over the next 2 years would probably be NHL regulars.

I mean if Rust and Kuhnhackl had to sign contracts right now after the season/playoffs they had... what are they signing? Personally, I'd be guessing 2x700-850k. PIT took a small gamble when they signed these months ago, and so far it looks like a smart one.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't see us trading Fleury tonight

Get out of here with that defeatist attitude. Back in the day, you'd get shot or hung for comments like that.

Once you've adjusted that attitude, you can come back. If by some marginal and random chance you were right, we'll just ignore what you said. :D

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
All depends. If he's not getting regular minutes, yeah perhaps on a short term basis. I mean with BB who will eventually get signed, we have 13Fs for next season (Sundqvist and Porter sent to WBS). So assuming he doesn't tank training camp, I'm guessing he'll be up and getting games this season.

I think the contracts (for all of them) was more so to get them to sign cheap 2 year deals then any sort of guarantee that they'd be in the NHL vs WBS. If their play is close and the other guy is on a 2 way, then yeah it gives them a leg up (probably), but I think this was more PIT evaluating them and deciding that all 3 were close and at some point over the next 2 years would probably be NHL regulars.

I mean if Rust and Kuhnhackl had to sign contracts right now after the season/playoffs they had... what are they signing? Personally, I'd be guessing 2x700-850k. PIT took a small gamble when they signed these months ago, and so far it looks like a smart one.

I loved those three signings. Just helps us out tremedously for the next 2 years in seeing how it all falls together.

Sid, Geno, Phil, Horny, Hags, and hopefully Bones as the mainstays then everywhere else can be filled in. In 2 years, we should have a pretty clear picture.

I just don't want us to make a huge splash that puts resigning key guys next off season in jeopardy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad