Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part XI | Contract/FA charts in post #1 | Cap set at $73M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No I'm saying that just because it happens doesn't mean there doesn't have to be evidence for it happening in any one particular case. In a case like this you can scrutinize or try to guess, but the very fact that the media manipulates things doesn't inherently mean that every news bit has some kind of hidden agenda behind it.

Of course, but in this case, it seems likely. We know Treliving and JR are talking about a deal. Then the Bishop talk starts and then randomly, Elliott. That doesn't mean Treliving isn't calling about those goalies, but it does mean that it being publicly leaked is a sign that he wants to put pressure on JR (and Stevie Y, I'm sure) to lower their asking prices. Having said that, JR is the only GM we have heard anything from in terms of what he wants for Fleury. I haven't heard a peep about Stevie Y looking to trade Bishop.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
gotta run, last thing I'll say is there are a ton of moving parts. More than I ever remember at this time of year. All of the stuff you're reading about isn't just media-driven ******** trying to drive up ratings.

I think part of what's holding up everything is that everything is happening, if that makes any sense. Every team is looking at making multiple HUGE moves, but they can't make their second move until they make their first move and their first move is hinging on another team making their move, which is waiting on another team, etc...

I think this will be the wildest two days, from a trade perspective, we've ever seen.

edit: AND BE PATIENT. Things will work out. Just like last year. Just be patient.

Unless Calgary acquires Bishop/Elliott. Then freak the **** out.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Dreger used to be one of the top guys to follow for information. The last couple years, he's really fallen. I cannot remember the one trade that sort-of ruined him, but he had some bad information a couple years back and seems like he never regained steam.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I don't think MOST reports have meaning or manipulation or agenda.

I do believe LEAGUE CRONY John Shannon and ... very nice, lovely, respectable, honest, diligent Darren Dreger... are two people who could be... accused... or being used as the PR arm for teams in times of negotiations.

For Dreger, I'll simply remind people that at 12pm on July 1st, 2015, he was on TSN Radio talking about how the Leafs were going to keep Phil Kessel for a few months before moving him

Absolutely on Dreger, and maybe most people here have more familiarity with Shannon than I do.

Also maybe it's just that I think GMs speak more plainly to each other than this. Maybe I'm not grasping the reasoning behind having a reporter trot out a tweet that sends a message to another GM. Why do that? You're literally talking to JR. Wouldn't you just tell him the deal has to be better or you have to explore other goalie options, and name them if necessary? Why bring a middle man into it to send out some vague "read between the lines" tweet to the entire world? The little footage I've seen of GMs on the phone at the table on draft day talking to other GMs, it just seems much more direct (and effective for that matter) than this.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I was considering, what about 1st 2017 + 2nd 2016 (35) for MAF + 2nd 2016 (61)? Something like that?

who knows what jr is thinking. (aside from 12>47) but I would think that because it takes time for kids to develop that we would want the picks sooner than later.....or maybe a prospect that is more ready in the near future.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
gotta run, last thing I'll say is there are a ton of moving parts. More than I ever remember at this time of year. All of the stuff you're reading about isn't just media-driven ******** trying to drive up ratings.

I think part of what's holding up everything is that everything is happening, if that makes any sense. Every team is looking at making multiple HUGE moves, but they can't make their second move until they make their first move and their first move is hinging on another team making their move, which is waiting on another team, etc...

I think this will be the wildest two days, from a trade perspective, we've ever seen.

Awesome stuff IC. I suspected as much. It's going to be a fun few days.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Absolutely on Dreger, and maybe most people here have more familiarity with Shannon than I do. Also maybe it's just that I think GMs speak more plainly to each other than this. Maybe I'm not grasping the reasoning behind having a reporter trot out a tweet that sends a message to another GM. Why do that? You're literally talking to JR. Wouldn't you just tell him the deal has to be better or you have to explore other goalie options? Why bring a middle man into it to send out some vague "read between the lines" tweet out to the world? The little footage I've seen of GMs on the phone at the table on draft day talking to other GMs, it just seems much more direct (and effective for that matter) than this.
I think its more of keep as many options open as you can. and see who blinks first

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dreger used to be one of the top guys to follow for information. The last couple years, he's really fallen. I cannot remember the one trade that sort-of ruined him, but he had some bad information a couple years back and seems like he never regained steam.

Perhaps it has something to do with his cousin being **** canned as a GM?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

He just sells stuff teams float to him now. It's all in generalities too. Like "Vancouver and Edmonton are in on Subban". Asked to clarify what that means "well I'm sure those teams have placed calls to Bergevin but he would need a homerun, can't miss deal to make it happen. I don't think Vancouver could do that".

So basically, you just told us nothing is happening.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

He also seems to partake almost yearly in the "I've heard Malkin is moving on" rumors.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Lot of D-Men in play today/the coming weeks.
Fowler, Shattenkirk, now Kulikov, Minn. D. Possibly Subban.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
who knows what jr is thinking. (aside from 12>47) but I would think that because it takes time for kids to develop that we would want the picks sooner than later.....or maybe a prospect that is more ready in the near future.

Perhaps but if you look at our roster and our young guys, we are pretty well set for this coming season if we did nothing - or at least moving MAF and signing a back up as our only move.

If we need to fill a hole, there's free agency. I think we need another full season of our young guys to really evaluate who we have and where they might be going.

I think Sheary is a up and down kinda guy.

Rust will be a great 3rd liner who can spot duty in the top 6.

Kuhnhackl should be a 4th liner for us for awhile.

Wilson is the real wild card here. I liked what I saw...but I saw so little. Want more. If those 4 become mainstays...I have no issues getting future picks that may not come to fruition for 3-4 years.

What we need is to start looking for a guy to replace Hornqvist in the future. That's why I would love a late 1st / early 2nd to snag Carl Grundström.

Otherwise, whatever picks we have late in the 2nd, psh, let them mature in Juniors or the AHL or the NCAA for a couple years. You also have Sprong as a wild card.

For the first time, our young guy pool doesn't look terrible. We can actually plan for developing a kid for awhile the way we did Dumoulin. We can afford actual futures who may not make an immediate impact.

If we could do a Shinkaruk+35ov, that's a major, MAJOR win for us IMHO. If picks are coming back from Calgary, I WANT that 35OV.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
If we could do a Shinkaruk+35ov, that's a major, MAJOR win for us IMHO. If picks are coming back from Calgary, I WANT that 35OV.

I agree, I would love this deal! Love it...:popcorn:

Shin could step in to the top 6, if not him and Geuntzal can rip up the AHL for 6 months and then come in late in the year to the NHL roster.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I agree, I would love this deal! Love it...:popcorn:

Shin could step in to the top 6, if not him and Geuntzal can rip up the AHL for 6 months and then come in late in the year to the NHL roster.

Just one more good young wing to compete for a spot to start. Worst case, great call up.

In all honesty, I know I'm looking ahead too far but for our young guys that can be sent up and down, I would love for the org to rotate through them. Like, ok Conor, you're first. You get 5-6 games here. Next, Wilson you up. Then Sundy, then Guentzel, etc. This is of course assuming no injuries. Rotate through and get these young kids some games.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yeah we're officially at that point of paralysis of analysis.

"Maybe some people tweet stuff to manipulate certain teams. It's possible."

Later on HF: "Look at this tweet which clearly demonstrates a random theory someone posed the other day. Not that this isn't common knowledge."

I've been saying that Dreger is a conduit for Canadian clubs to leak information so as to manipulate asset value for several years now, in reference to situations that do not involve us.

That we're involved in one now isn't something that's impacted my opinion on this topic.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
do I dare go to lunch?

This is how I imagine everyone in this thread right now trying to piece together who goes where and for what in return.

OqEzkPX.jpg

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I've been saying that Dreger is a conduit for Canadian clubs to leak information so as to manipulate asset value for several years now, in reference to situations that do not involve us.

That we're involved in one now isn't something that's impacted my opinion on this topic.

For sure. Insider trading had a video and they talked about Calgary and mentioned Bishop as the primary target and then brought up Elliott as a back up option. No mention of Fleury at all. I suspect that was intentional.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Just one more good young wing to compete for a spot to start. Worst case, great call up.

In all honesty, I know I'm looking ahead too far but for our young guys that can be sent up and down, I would love for the org to rotate through them. Like, ok Conor, you're first. You get 5-6 games here. Next, Wilson you up. Then Sundy, then Guentzel, etc. This is of course assuming no injuries. Rotate through and get these young kids some games.
Didn't Rust, Kuhn, and Wilson all get 1-way deals this year? I think Sheary, Sundqvist, and Pouliot are the only guys that can be sent up and down without waivers.

WhiteWalker*

Whatever happens I want a piece that can help now for Fleury not a 2nd round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad