Prospect Info: 2016-17 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Jost has said in interviews that he wants to make it to the NHL as quickly as possible. The only barrier to him signing a contract is on the Avs end if they want him there another year. However with UND bleeding talent and the Avs in desperate need of some, I think he turns pro for next season.

However, my fourth edition Bird of Paradise still says that the Avs won't rush him in this year. Not only do they have no track record of doing so with NCAA players, but I think they really are just looking to limp down the stretch with their tails between their legs and get the season over with. Neither party would benefit from injecting a guy like Jost into this lineup.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Jost has said in interviews that he wants to make it to the NHL as quickly as possible. The only barrier to him signing a contract is on the Avs end if they want him there another year. However with UND bleeding talent and the Avs in desperate need of some, I think he turns pro for next season.

However, my fourth edition Bird of Paradise still says that the Avs won't rush him in this year. Not only do they have no track record of doing so with NCAA players, but I think they really are just looking to limp down the stretch with their tails between their legs and get the season over with. Neither party would benefit from injecting a guy like Jost into this lineup.

Gotta agree, Jost for one needs at least a year in the A and for two needs to avoid the garbage we currently have on an NHL level. Hopefully in two years they'll be okay.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I guess MacKinnon and Rantanen aren't technically prospects any more, but who is better? I honestly am leaning towards Rantanen, but what do you guys think?

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
I'd go with Rantanen too. If you could give MacKinnon Rantanens IQ though? Good lord. Would be one of the best players in the league.

I recently bought a new Avalanche jersey and I was hesitating between a Rantanen jersey or a Mackinnon jersey. Ended up going with Mack but I can tell you I was very close to picking Rantanen's jersey. It'll be interesting to see who does better next year between the 2.

Hopefully Mackinnon can crack the 50 point barrier to end this season.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I can't put Rantanen above MacK yet.

I expect to see Rants improve on his puck protection in traffic and his physical game but until then I will temper my hopes a bit. I still don't think he's been the focus of the opposition's best defensive players and tactics either. That was much the same MacK's first year. Both would be very good - exceptional though if surrounded by a more well rounded cast.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
If mack had better hockey is it would be him all day long.
I'd go with rants unfortunately

It really is terribly disappointing to see how limited Mack's effectiveness is given how much more talented he is than most players on the ice- this being completely due to his lack of on ice intelligence.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think this is a very interesting debate that will continue for the next several years. I believe MacKinnon is by far the most talented player on the team, but he seems to have a lot of bad habits and arguably poor hockey IQ. I personally don't think IQ is the issue, but more the habits: skating into the centre of the ice when he's carrying the puck, always going full speed, always trying to make a highlight reel play. His play at the start of the season is what gives me hope for his IQ as he knew how to dominate games, free wheeled and read teams in the zone, but as the season progressed and his numbers dipped he seemed to lose confidence and move away from what was making him dominant.

With that being said MacKinnon does not have the play making vision of Rantanen. Rantanen might not see the ice better, but rather differently. MacKinnon imo, sees the ice as a goal scorer where as Rants as a play maker. We need Rantanen to be the one carrying the puck into the zone more and MacKinnon being the high guy or busting to the net.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think this is a very interesting debate that will continue for the next several years. I believe MacKinnon is by far the most talented player on the team, but he seems to have a lot of bad habits and arguably poor hockey IQ. I personally don't think IQ is the issue, but more the habits: skating into the centre of the ice when he's carrying the puck, always going full speed, always trying to make a highlight reel play. His play at the start of the season is what gives me hope for his IQ as he knew how to dominate games, free wheeled and read teams in the zone, but as the season progressed and his numbers dipped he seemed to lose confidence and move away from what was making him dominant.

With that being said MacKinnon does not have the play making vision of Rantanen. Rantanen might not see the ice better, but rather differently. MacKinnon imo, sees the ice as a goal scorer where as Rants as a play maker. We need Rantanen to be the one carrying the puck into the zone more and MacKinnon being the high guy or busting to the net.

Mackinnon is heavy metal and Rantanen is classical music. Thats how I see their playing styles. By that same token Duchene is Jazz.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Dater says that he is confident the Avs will offer Butcher a "competitive" offer after his season is done. No thoughts on what Butcher's stance on joining the Avs' org would be though.

http://bsndenver.com/avalanche-notebook-nathan-mackinnon-to-appear-on-trailer-park-boys/

Yeah let's get this back to actual prospect talk. Btw, I aim to have new thread up tonight-ish.

Fwiw AJ says word around the team is Butcher, Mironov and Jost should all sign soon.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Wouldn't that be nice. Did we establish where Jost would play if he signed and didn't make the team?

Not definitively but I'm going to lean that AHL is an option.

So does Siemens get a contract at the end of the year? He is an RFA right?

I dont think he does, it's time to move on. Btw, he was second star and got two assists last night. Especially ironic given a certain convo on twitter yesterday.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
If anyone cares for the whole quote (for context), here it is:

A little roster gossip
I got back from vacation last night around midnight but it doesn’t really felt like I took much time off given how many Avalanche people I talked to while away. Just some water cooler talk here (aka the rumor mill so don’t take any of this to the bank) but:

-Avs are expecting to sign Butcher when DU’s season ends. Word is Butcher is prepared to sign the ELC the Avs will offer him
-Mironov expected to be officially signed in the next couple of weeks
-Only overage/NCAA UFA I know Avs are connected to right now is the Pionk kid but they won’t get him so it doesn’t matter
-I’ve already chatted with earl about this but KSE is not too happy with Avs FO right now. Might mean changes, might not, just that they’re pissed and embarrassed.
-I had on other thing but my mind is blank so I’ll probably come back and add to this later on

And then later, on the subject of Jost:

Oh, that was it. Yeah. The Avs are looking to sign him when NoDak is done.

And if Jost would play in the NHL:

Yeah that would be the plan. Not this year though. Next.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Fwiw AJ says word around the team is Butcher, Mironov and Jost should all sign soon.

That'd be nice. Who knows if Butcher and Mironov will be any good but it'd be nice to add some new blood that could potentially become good depth.

I dont think he does, it's time to move on. Btw, he was second star and got two assists last night. Especially ironic given a certain convo on twitter yesterday.

I think it's too late for Siemens either way but for his sake I hope he gets to move on from the Avs.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
-I’ve already chatted with earl about this but KSE is not too happy with Avs FO right now. Might mean changes, might not, just that they’re pissed and embarrassed.

Holy ****, they actually have a pulse?

Great news on everything else. Maybe Jost can finish out the season with San Antonio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad