Prospect Info: 2016-17 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Updated Prospect Stats HERE

ROU_WINCUP.jpeg

2016 PROSPECT RANKING
[table="head;width=800]RANK|PREV|CHNG|NAME|POS|TEAM|DRAFT|VOTES

1|1|-| Mikko Rantanen|RW|San Antonio (AHL)|#10 overall 2015|108 votes, 95.37%|

2|2|-| Chris Bigras|D|San Antonio (AHL)|#32 overall 2013|116 votes, 48.28%|

3|n/a|n/a| Tyson Jost|C|Penticton (BCHL)|#10 overall 2016|90 votes, 96.67%|

4|6|+2| JT Compher|C|University of Michigan (Big10)|#35 overall 2013 (T)|91 votes, 64.84%|

5|5|-| Nicolas Meloche|D|Gatineau (QMJHL)|#40 overall 2015|92 votes, 71.74%|

6|10|+4| AJ Greer|LW|Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)|#39 overall 2015|97 votes, 82.47%|

7|15|+8| JC Beaudin|C|Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)|#71 overall 2015|93 votes, 31.18%|

8|n/a|n/a| Cam Morrison|C|Youngstown (USHL)|#40 overall 2016|84 votes, 47.62%|

9|13|+4| Spencer Martin|G|San Antonio (AHL)|#63 overall 2013|79 votes, 81.01%|

10|17|+7| Julien Nantel|C/LW|Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)|#204 overall 2014|76 votes, 36.84%|

11|11|-| Andrei Mironov|D|Dynamo Moskva (KHL)|#101 overall 2015|61 votes, 47.54%|

12|21|+9| Sergei Boikov|D|Drummondville (QMJHL) |#161 overall 2015|65 votes, 33.85%|

13|7|-6| Mason Geertsen|D|San Antonio (AHL)|#93 overall 2013|58 votes, 39.66%|

14|n/a|n/a| Rocco Grimaldi|C/RW|Portland (AHL)|#33 overall 2011 (T)|56 votes, 33.93%|

15|8|-7| Duncan Siemens|D|San Antonio (AHL)|#11 overall 2011|66 votes, 30.30%|

16|n/a|n/a| Josh Anderson|D|Prince George (WHL)|#71 overall 2016|46 votes, 30.43%|

17|16|-1| Will Butcher|D|University of Denver (NCHC)|#123 overall 2013|52 votes, 36.54%|

18|27|+9| Anton Lindholm|D|Skellefteå (SHL)|#144 overall 2014|59 votes, 42.37%|

19|n/a|n/a| Nate Clurman|D|Culver Academy (USHS)|#161 overall 2016|37 votes, 62.16%|

20|n/a|n/a| Travis Barron|LW|Ottawa (OHL)|#191 overall 2016|48 votes, 33.33%|

[/table]

2016 HONORABLE MENTION
[table="head;width=800]RANK|PREV|CHNG|NAME|POS|TEAM|DRAFT|VOTES

HM1|n/a|n/a| Adam Werner|G|Färjestad BK J20 (SHL)|#131 overall 2016|37 votes, 37.84%|

HM2|24|+2| Sam Henley|C|San Antonio (AHL)|Undrafted FA|32 votes, 40.63%|

HM3|n/a|n/a| Reid Petryk|RW|San Antonio (AHL)|Undrafted FA|33 votes, 39.39%|

HM4|19|-5| Troy Bourke|LW|San Antonio (AHL)|#72 overall 2012|28 votes, 46.43%|

HM5|n/a|n/a| Turner Elson|LW|Stockton (AHL)|Undrafted FA|29 votes, 58.62%|

[/table]

Last edited:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I like the addition of the Europe tag into the title. I can see Bourke as a big riser this season. He seems to be having a strong camp and is raring to prove himself. I really like where our prospect pool is right now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

With all junior prospects returned to their teams and all are expected to play this weekend. Here is sort of a state of the system update at this time.

QMJHL:

Rouyn-Noranda. Huskies expected to contend again, bringing a large number of their core back. Beaudin is still going to be their top center. Uncertain of his linemates at this time. Good start to their season at 2-0-1 brought them back to 3rd in the ranking from 9th.

Gatineau. Always a strong team but seem to be in a rough transition to Mario Duhamel's system. Abramov will have to carry the team and should easily score 100 points. Meloche will be counted on to do everything and be the #1 on the back end. Started 0-2-0 and fell out of the CHL ranking.

OHL:

Ottawa: A lot of young talent but really aiming for a 2018 Mem Cup team if they are chosen to host. Barron should be on one of the top 2 lines and maybe with potential 2017 first round pick Sasha Chmelevski. A lot of goals but suspect defense to begin 1-1-0 record.

WHL:

Prince George: A team on the rise but not really contenders. Anderson has been back and played in the last two games, not much on the scoresheet to speak of. He will carry a heavy defensive load. Team has got off to a hot 4-0-0 start and appeared on the CHL rankings.

NCAA begins this weekend as well. Presumably Jost and Morrison will kick off their seasons. Mironov is off IR and should begin playing for Dynamo in the near future.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
TSN still hasn't released their NCAA schedule (unless I missed it) so I hope they're still planning on showing games.

UND is supposed to be pretty good so you'd think TSN will show a bunch of their games. Having a top prospect from a Canadian NHL team (Boeser) and a top Canadian prospect (Jost) playing for them should help as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think that Prince George could be really good this year. I'm not sure if they are true contenders this year, but next year they will be.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
TSN still hasn't released their NCAA schedule (unless I missed it) so I hope they're still planning on showing games.

UND is supposed to be pretty good so you'd think TSN will show a bunch of their games. Having a top prospect from a Canadian NHL team (Boeser) and a top Canadian prospect (Jost) playing for them should help as well.

I've been trying to track down the TV schedule for those teams too. Its not entirely clear to me but it seems North Dakota will be on a fair bit on CBSSN and ASN, there could be others. I agree as national champs they should get a fair amount. I guess Notre Dame and NBC share some sort of agreement because they are on NBCSN a lot. Apparently all DU games are going to be on Altitude as well. As far as TSN, I'm not sure but can't be much less than here.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Here's a fairly comprehensive list of televised NCAAH games:

http://collegehockeyinc.com/tv-schedule

Thanks. That schedule shows a few UND games being televised in Canada.

It looks like TSN released their schedule and started showing games in November last year so maybe it'll be the same this year for us Canadians. Hopefully we get more games than what that link currently shows.

member 116861

We get to see a decent amount of both Butcher and Jost. I just have to mark those games on my calendar.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Watched some of the Huskies game and Beaudin looked very good. Had 1A but was very unlucky with a net coming off a split second early and teammates not converting great chances. Late in the 3rd he was boarded and fought the guy who did it.

Watched a bit of the Ottawa game as well and barron was flying. Was great on the pk and was creating chances with some nice passes. Finished with 1A as well.

Both Prince George(4-1) and Gatineau(2-1 SO) won but Anderson and Meloche weren't on the scoresheet.

Beaudin faces off against Meloche at 2 this afternoon so I'll definitely be watching that one.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Huskies won 5-1 and Beaudin and Meloche both played well. JC had 1G(GWG)+1A as well as creating plenty of chances. He was also pretty feisty again today. Meloche was great in his own end with his stick, blocking shots and breaking out but Gatineau was outclassed today and just didn't look overly good as a team. He was also rushing the puck again and doesn't have a leash on anymore which is a good thing. Both are looking like they'll have big years in the Q.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Jost is centering the top line in the first exhibition game. One assist so far.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Doesn't this game count? Or no?

Barron had a goal, assist tonight too. He's pretty good defensively, that surprised me a bit but he looked good anyway.

Does it? I just saw it on twitter and someone said it was exhibition. I'm not too sure.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Gersich-Jost-Boeser was the top line

Jost had a decent first game, there really wasn't any standout performances from that line. My guess as the season goes on and they find chemistry they'll pick up the slack.

Jost's first assist came of a faceoff win in the neutral zone and Gersich scored on the rush, second assist was a pass back on the boards to the defensemen who shot it and it got tipped.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Jost had a decent first game, there really wasn't any standout performances from that line. My guess as the season goes on and they find chemistry they'll pick up the slack.

Jost's first assist came of a faceoff win in the neutral zone and Gersich scored on the rush, second assist was a pass back on the boards to the defensemen who shot it and it got tipped.

I think I'm going to like you! Please check in and give us your thoughts as often as possible!!

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Thank you very much for your report and please don't be shy to come back after games to give us your take on our prospect Jost. One word of caution though regarding your Jost reports. He might have very well been just decent even though he had two assists. I'm not disagreeing with you as I did not see the game but remember that Jost is not the type of player to whoa you with his plays. He is more of a playmaker who is also very very good at protecting the puck in the offensive zone waiting for his linemates to get open. He is also very good around the net himself. He is a very hard worker at both ends of the ice having a very good 200-ft game.

I just thought I would comment on that in case you are not as familiar with Jost as other people might be. I understand that it is absolutely possible to be just decent while putting up very good production but I was wondering if you were maybe expecting another style from a high pick prospect.

Hope to hear a lot more from you this year. Thanks again.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Man, went to a Vees game yesterday and the lack of Jost (and Fabbro) was evident.

Still an awesome team, but lacked that extra skill.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Thank you very much for your report and please don't be shy to come back after games to give us your take on our prospect Jost. One word of caution though regarding your Jost reports. He might have very well been just decent even though he had two assists. I'm not disagreeing with you as I did not see the game but remember that Jost is not the type of player to whoa you with his plays. He is more of a playmaker who is also very very good at protecting the puck in the offensive zone waiting for his linemates to get open. He is also very good around the net himself. He is a very hard worker at both ends of the ice having a very good 200-ft game.

I just thought I would comment on that in case you are not as familiar with Jost as other people might be. I understand that it is absolutely possible to be just decent while putting up very good production but I was wondering if you were maybe expecting another style from a high pick prospect.

Hope to hear a lot more from you this year. Thanks again.

I got the pleasure to watch Jost while he was playing in the under 18s so I am slightly familiar with him. It's just that this game it really looked like both Boeser and Jost were just going 70%, neither did anything really special this game. It took Boeser a while to adapt to Caguilla and Schmatlz too last year, so it might be just that they are still finding their groove.

Jost, last game made some nice passes and gave hints at his playmaking ability. I would have liked to see him use his shot more since I hear he has quite the shot. There were times where Jost would try to do something a little too fancy and turn the puck over. But it's not like his linemates weren't also rusty because Boeser did the same thing.

Also, don't get me wrong, I might have called Jost's game decent but that doesn't mean he played bad. Just that he didn't stand out for me. My guess as the season roles on that Jost will start getting acclimatized to the NCHC and put up more and more good games. For now, in a exhibition game both Boeser and Jost didn't stand out.

Lastly, if Jost makes a nice play or a nice assist I'll make sure to post the highlights here. I usually post any Boeser highlights in HFVan but since I like Jost as a player I'll probably post Jost's highlights here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad