TSN: 2016/17 Projected lineup

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think 100% will be gone, but not by the start of next season. I guarantee it.

We've seen 100% turnover multiple times on this team, but it really hasn't made much of a difference.

Just look at team need, 1st. line center, #1 defender, #1 goaltender and you realize they have to try and solve those issues.

Additionally, they have expiring contracts, perhaps some LTIR's, kids who'll be jettisoned, kids requiring waivers, players they took as dumps to move Phaneuf, and others.

It is a 30th. place team, so how much of that is really worth retaining.

How well they clean house as only the unknown at this point. Will they receive value or will they have to include value and how much of both?

Next to impossible to achieve with...

Lupul, Bozak, Greening, Michalek, Laich, Hunwick, on the books. Cowen will be bought out.

Realistically 1 or 2 of the above could be used in trades prior to season start.

So guys we won't be keeping. Holland, PAP, Boyes(or did he get 2yrs?) Grabner, Smith, Froese?

Lofty expectations to ditch the whole lot.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The Clarkson trade was like winning the lottery and you can't expect to win the lottery multiple times .

Common paws, you know me better then that.

I see the obvious "outs" they could use

we have 2 cap retention slots = laich,michalek???

Cowen + Lupul buy outs = 850k cap hit next year , their combined cap hit on the roster is 8.35 million.

Bozak is a gonner, one way or the other.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I understood his comment as this team is 50% what it should be.

I definitely see the following players on our team for the next couple seasons:

We can have 23

JVR Kadri Komarov Reilly Soshnikov
Nylander Hyman Kapanen Timashov Marner
Brown Gardiner Leivo There's your 50%

Here's the remaining 50%:
Zaitsev, 1st Rd draft pick 2016 #1 & #2, UFA Goalie, Veteran player #1, 2, 3
10 more draft picks for 2016 (1 2nd rounder)
8 draft picks in 2017 (3 total in the 1st and 2nd rounds)
8 draft picks in 2018 (2 total in the 1st and 2nd)

It would be foolish to think that they will not be trying to acquire more draft picks and more hard working veterans
We see half the puzzle right now. An educated guess, based off the mapleleafs hotstove articles, is that more than likely we are bound to see more Russian and European talent for that final 50%...and its gonna be GLORIOUS.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Wave

Elliot freedman

Q: how close is it to what we'll see for next year

A; I don't think it's close to what we will see, if we had to put a % , I'd probably say 50%

I think Lou speaks literally. If you ask him year, he will answer to that literally. Had he asked Season he would likely get a different answer.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
The Clarkson trade was like winning the lottery and you can't expect to win the lottery multiple times .

The blue jackets gm is the biggest sucker. I still can't believe we made that deal. I remember first hearing the deal and thinking we retained 50% and I was still happy about it.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I've liked Colin Greening a lot. I've been very surprised. Laich, Greening and Komarov cycling down low in the offensive zone just never give up the puck. Moreover, it's very interesting to see how Greening has gone from terrible with possession to great... overnight:

rCMXrsq.png

Babcock is the best coach in hockey, example #32242.

It's Sundin - Antropov - Ponikarovsky, without the goal scoring.

I've really liked Greening too. He's not going to score much, but as long as he keeps it in the offensive zone, as a physical 4th liner, that's all we can really expect.

Could see a team trading for him given how he's played with the Leafs. The good ole' pump and dump!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I've really liked Greening too. He's not going to score much, but as long as he keeps it in the offensive zone, as a physical 4th liner, that's all we can really expect.

Could see a team trading for him given how he's played with the Leafs. The good ole' pump and dump!

For the money, we could do better... that's what it boils down to. It's not overly bad at 2.6M I guess, a good 1M overpaid.

I've been saying he will probably be bought out and I still believe that but I wouldn't be agaisnt keeping him. I just don't think there's any room for him due to his cap hit and because of the influx of players pushing for spots.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
For the money, we could do better... that's what it boils down to. It's not overly bad at 2.6M I guess.

I've been saying he will probably be bought out and I still believe that but I wouldn't be agaisnt keeping him. I just don't think there's any room for him due to his cap hit and because of the influx of players pushing for spots.

Oh no doubt. I don't know how it shakes out, but if he's back I'm not crying over it. He's making the most of his opportunity I think.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
For the money, we could do better... that's what it boils down to. It's not overly bad at 2.6M I guess, a good 1M overpaid.

I don't think they'll buy him out. I think they'll bite the bullet and deal with his cap hit along with Michalek's next year. More then likely he's untradeable at the deadline but Michalek might have value.

Buying out Greening just keeps his cap hit around longer.

Cowen is the buy out candidate in my mind - cap credit and then only 750k penalty the year after. I still feel like there is a chance someone may want him for the cap credit.

Robidas is another guy I see being dealt after July 1st - He's a 3M cap hit. 2M is due next year but 1M is a signing bonus paid on July 1st, so for 1M a team like Carolina could potentially get a 3M cap hit, and insurance pays the money anyway. It actually helps them reach the floor.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The blue jackets gm is the biggest sucker. I still can't believe we made that deal. I remember first hearing the deal and thinking we retained 50% and I was still happy about it.

Not really

Hortons contract had no injury insurance on it( a very rare thing in the NHL)

The team/the owner is paying his actual salary out of pocket

Something tells me the owner OKd or pushed for this

at least the owner is now spending 5m cash for some who might/can help the team.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think they'll buy him out. I think they'll bite the bullet and deal with his cap hit along with Michalek's next year. More then likely he's untradeable at the deadline but Michalek might have value.

Cowen is the buy out candidate in my mind - cap credit and then only 750k penalty the year after. I still feel like there is a chance someone may want him for the cap credit.

Robidas is another guy I see being dealt after July 1st - He's a 3M cap hit. 2M is due next year but 1M is a signing bonus paid on July 1st, so for 1M a team like Carolina could potentially get a 3M cap hit, and insurance pays the money anyway. It actually helps them reach the floor.

We could use his roster spot a lot more than a measily 500k year 1 and 1M year 2 cap hit. We couldn't trade PAP, a player on pace for around 45 points and with really good underlying numbers. I doubt Greening has interest by next year unless he's having a career year, which is very unlikely as we know. I'd buy him out as soon as I could but then again, I would understand keeping him around and I won't be upset at all with that decision.

Cowen will be bought out. Lamoriello flat out said it... He's gone.

Robidas is semi-retired. His value is negative a million. Could be a throw in candidate for whatever reason but let's be honest, that's fairly unlikely.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Would love to eventually see something like this up front

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Laine - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Soshnikov
Leivo - Holland - Hyman

But there's a good amount of chicken-counting going on there.

Eventually, sure. But if this was our roster next season, I'd assume it'd be something like

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Laine - Kadri - Nylander
Komarov - Bozak - Soshnikov

Remember, Babs would rather Nylander play wing during his transition to the NHL, maybe center in a few years

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not really

Hortons contract had no injury insurance on it( a very rare thing in the NHL)

The team/the owner is paying his actual salary out of pocket

Something tells me the owner OKd or pushed for this

at least the owner is now spending 5m cash for some who might/can help the team.

They went from paying a LTIR player to paying for a 4th. line player.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Eventually, sure. But if this was our roster next season, I'd assume it'd be something like

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Laine - Kadri - Nylander

Remember, Babs would rather Nylander play wing during his transition to the NHL, maybe center in a few years

SKK will likely not be broken. It fits Babcocks template. Look for more lines based on that template.

Sniper, Skilled C, Grinder

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Another season of greening under coach babs could turn him into the kind of 4th liner playoff hockey guy teams look for.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We could use his roster spot a lot more than a measily 500k year 1 and 1M year 2 cap hit. We couldn't trade PAP, a player on pace for around 45 points and with really good underlying numbers. I doubt Greening has interest by next year unless he's having a career year, which is very unlikely as we know. I'd buy him out as soon as I could but then again, I would understand keeping him around and I won't be upset at all with that decision.

Cowen will be bought out. Lamoriello flat out said it... He's gone.

Robidas is semi-retired. His value is negative a million. Could be a throw in candidate for whatever reason but let's be honest, that's fairly unlikely.

Greening's corsi is pretty good, someone may want him for his speed and size on the 4th line in the playoffs if we retained 50% at the deadline, could be similar to Matthias. Someone may see value in that.

Michalek is a good vet, well liked in the locker room, can play in the top 9. PAP seemed like he had a lot of detractors for his attitude in previous years and he was injured a bit going into the TDL.

Cowen's definitely bought out, and it is likely us, but someone like Chicago may see value in taking him, and getting a cap credit for next year, an extra 650k in cap space is a lot for a team like them.

Robidas is definitely done, but again, they'd be acquiring him simply get a 3M cap hit against their books without costing any real dollars. A budget conscious team may see some value in that like Carolina.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Another season of greening under coach babs could turn him into the kind of 4th liner playoff hockey guy teams look for.

I agree with this. He's actually looked very solid since coming to Toronto. A physical big-bodied grinder that goes to the net and mucks it up in the corners.

A team in the Western Conference might have interest in him next year.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'll take a stab.

Soshnikov-Kadri-Komarov
JVR-Bozak-xxx
Michalek-Nylander-Hyman
Greening-Laich-xxx

Rielly-Hunwick
Gardiner Zaitzev
xxx-Carrick

Assuming LouLam was lawyering both ways-50% of last night's roster that will finish next season/ year with the team.

With a decent goalie and a youngish rhd replacement (Spurgeon,Tanev, Demers) for Hunwick I think that's a roster that could surprise

Last edited:

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Would love to eventually see something like this up front

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Laine - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Soshnikov
Leivo - Holland - Hyman

But there's a good amount of chicken-counting going on there.

That would be great

Line 1 & 2 pure scoring
Line 3 Lots of contact and can put up points against lower lines
Line 4 can cycle the puck and also have the ability to put up points.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Laine - Kadri - Nylander

JVR Stamkos Nylander
Sosh Kadri Komarov
Michalek Bozak Hyman
Greening Laich Lupul

Most likely if we get Stamkos but I would expect we get rid of someone, likely Bozak.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Would you consider buying out Lupul?

--Year-------Contract Salary Due----Contract Cap Hit -----Buyout Cost------Buyout Savings ------Buyout Cap Hit
2016-17---------$5,250,000 ----------$5,250,000----------$1,500,000 -------$3,750,000 ----------$1,500,000
2017-18---------$3,750,000 ----------$5,250,000----------$1,500,000 -------$2,250,000 ----------$3,000,000
2018-19---------$0---------------------$0-------------------$1,500,000 ------(- $1,500,000) -------$1,500,000
2019-20---------$0---------------------$0-------------------$1,500,000 ------(- $1,500,000) -------$1,500,000

Contract Years Remaining: 2
Contract Value Remaining: $9,000,000
Age at Buyout: 32
Buyout Ratio: 2/3
Total Buyout Cost: $6,000,000
Annual Buyout Cost: $1,500,000

By the time we get to the $3m cap hit in 2017/18 we will have the following players off our roster and will have $15m+ extra free space
Laich, Michalek, Greening, Hunwick, Bernier and Robidas

If you include Lupul's $5.25m that's almost $20m of free space

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Would you consider buying out Lupul?

--Year-------Contract Salary Due----Contract Cap Hit -----Buyout Cost------Buyout Savings ------Buyout Cap Hit
2016-17---------$5,250,000 ----------$5,250,000----------$1,500,000 -------$3,750,000 ----------$1,500,000
2017-18---------$3,750,000 ----------$5,250,000----------$1,500,000 -------$2,250,000 ----------$3,000,000
2018-19---------$0---------------------$0-------------------$1,500,000 ------(- $1,500,000) ---------$1,500,000
2019-20---------$0---------------------$0-------------------$1,500,000 ------(- $1,500,000) ---------$1,500,000

Contract Years Remaining: 2
Contract Value Remaining: $9,000,000
Age at Buyout: 32
Buyout Ratio: 2/3
Total Buyout Cost: $6,000,000
Annual Buyout Cost: $1,500,000

Well , Lou may want/need the cap space this summer

Babs/ management might not want him anywhere near the other players up here or in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad