Soshnikov - Kadri - Marner
Leivo - Holland - Hyman

Gardiner - ______ **
Rielly - Zaitsev
_____*** - Carrick
Hunwick

_____****
Bernier

* Second line RW could be any one of Lupul, Kapanen, Michalek ... or even someone like PAP if we sign him again (which I hope we don't, but it wouldn't be the end of the world either).

** This is still a huge hole. It's the hole created by the Phaneuf trade. We either have to sign one of the top UFA defenders or trade someone like Kadri or Bozak for a top 4 defender or draft someone like Chychrun. I think we'll have Gardiner, Rielly, and Zaitsev in the top 4 so we just need one more. And since Gardiner plays LD, Zaitsev plays RD, and Rielly can play both, we don't necessarily need to get a right handed defender if we have Zaitsev and Rielly both play on the right side.

*** That last spot on D I think could be a battle between a number of players including: Harrington, Percy, Loov, Hunwick, Marincin, etc. I think that Dermott will eventually get that spot in 3 years.

**** We need a good goalie... *sigh*

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Apparently he can play, if it is a conditioning stint... but can't be assigned there, as a Marlies player. Much the same way you can use a one way player, without going through waivers I assume on a conditioning stint. This was Bobby Mac and TSN claiming that it is possible, so I'll assume they know what they are talking about.

Yup, there are conditions where they can do that if he has been a press box warmer for awhile.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I would go with:

Nylander - Stamkos - Komorov
JVR - Bozak - _____*
Soshnikov - Kadri - Marner
Leivo - Holland - Hyman

Gardiner - ______ **
Rielly - Zaitsev
_____*** - Carrick
Hunwick

_____****
Bernier

* Second line RW could be any one of Lupul, Kapanen, Michalek ... or even someone like PAP if we sign him again (which I hope we don't, but it wouldn't be the end of the world either).

** This is still a huge hole. It's the hole created by the Phaneuf trade. We either have to sign one of the top UFA defenders or trade someone like Kadri or Bozak for a top 4 defender. I think we'll have Gardiner, Rielly, and Zaitsev in the top 4. So we just need one more. And since Gardiner plays LD, Zaitsev plays RD, and Rielly can play both, we don't necessarily need to get a right handed defender if we have Zaitsev and Rielly both play on the right side.

*** That last spot on D I think could be a battle between a number of players including: Harrington, Percy, Loov, Hunwick, Marincin, etc. I think that Dermott will eventually get that spot in 3 years.

**** We need a good goalie... *sigh*

there is no huge hole if we ink zaitsev

dion was never a 1/2

we don't have to go crazy hard for a tender right now.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He is the perfect kind of 28 year old you avoid

Power Forwards tend to wear out faster, and really, it is too early to be picking up THAT piece for our team. Agreed.. run away from Lucic as fast as possible.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Power Forwards tend to wear out faster, and really, it is too early to be picking up THAT piece for our team. Agreed.. run away from Lucic as fast as possible.

And that's just considering wear and tear. I simply don't want him on my team as a person.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Buffalo was blocked from sending Grigorenko to AHL for conditioning stint because of NHL/CHL agreement. http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...orenko-to-AHL-on-conditioning-assignment.html

Leafs might be blocked too. It also makes zero sense to use up Marner's ELC for yoyoing him from NHL to AHL. Just let him play winger on 3rd line.

Thanks.... so I asked him on Twitter... we shall see his response.

@TSNBobMcKenzie How would the Leafs send Marner down on a conditioning stint when the Sabres were blocked? http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...orenko-to-AHL-on-conditioning-assignment.html …

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
It would be interesting to use Marner as the 13th forward. Basically, tell Marner that he'll get to play about 30 - 40 games unless he really steals the show.

When he's not playing, he should be eating and working out in the gym. 40 NHL games + weight lifting will be much more valuable than another season in the OHL.

Then we can use Lupul and Michalek for the other 40 games. Between the 3 of them, we'll be able to get 82 games.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I tweaked it. Bozak is gone if we win Matthews. I don't see Holland here either. I don't think Babcock likes him.

Sosh-Kadri-Komarov
JVR-Nylander-Michalek (build up his value and sell)
Leivo-Matthews-Marner
Greening-Laich-Hyman
Lupul

Hunwick-Rielly
Gardiner-Zaitsev (didn't like having him in the top 4 off the hop oh well)
Loov-Carrick
Marincin

I'd like to sign a vet though ideally.

Bernier
Sparks

I like this better. Though i still would like to keep Bozak for a year. Good two way centre for Matthews and Nylander to learn from. I personally think Kadri is better sutied at wing. I would consider giving him the Boedker treatment, sign him for 1 year and maybe get a 1st for him. I think Greening has earned his spot on the team next season. Looks like a good 3rd liner.

The defense needs support for sure. Maybe look to the Blues for help... But it would cost a lot. I like Goligoski, Demers and Yandle but they are long shots.

I wouldnt mind bring back Polak or Gunnarson. Perhaps go after Campbell for a year but i doubt he goes to a rebuilding team... Maybe Schenn as your 7th D? Gunnarsson might make sense, could sign for less and short term. I doubt Polak goes cheap.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It would be interesting to use Marner as the 13th forward. Basically, tell Marner that he'll get to play about 30 - 40 games unless he really steals the show.

When he's not playing, he should be eating and working out in the gym. 40 NHL games + weight lifting will be much more valuable than another season in the OHL.

Then we can use Lupul and Michalek for the other 40 games. Between the 3 of them, we'll be able to get 82 games.

It would be an interesting way to approach Marner's development. He can also play in the World Juniors.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This is my lineup projection, assuming we get Matthews and Zaitsev like McKenzie suggested. (Line combos could variate, just went with a quick mock up).

Soshnikov - Kadri - Komarov
JVR - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Nylander - Brown
Michalek - Laich - Leivo
Greening

Hunwick - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Percy - Carrick
Marincin/Loov - Harrington/Corrado

Bernier
Sparks

Notes:

-Bozak and Holland traded. Could be some salary back especially for Bozak, which could change the lineup a little but we will assume they returned late pick(s) and average value back.
-Stamkos not signed.
-Lupul on LTIR
-Brown has has a good chance of making the team with a good camp. He was last cut this past season. Good end to the season and he'll be in the conversation.
-Marner has a good chance of making it.
-Between Marincin and Loov for the #7/8 spot. Percy could be traded.

Simple. A 4 forward roll out --- enough with the top6/bottom6 Burke crap. Defence is still a big big big big question mark but upside is there. Hunwick stays because Babcock loves the guy and could be a great trade bait at the deadline. This upcoming season will be a big test for a lot of the depth defenders like Harrington, Percy, Loov, etc. Dermott won't be far behind to steal a spot.

Last edited:

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Burn.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I think the Leafs have to be all-in on RFA d-men. We have these surplus picks and we need some real d-men to support Rielly, Gardiner, and the gang. No way should we trade a first, but guys like Leddy and Boychuk got packages built on 2nds and mid-tier prospects. We should be looking at Vatanen, Barrie, Dekeyser, etc. Even guys like Yandle or Campbell Our d-core can't get hammered like this for another 82 games, it could be damaging to their progression.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Nylander 20 - Stamkos 26 - Marner 19
VanRiemsdyk 27 - Matthews 19 - Kapanen 20
Komarov 29 - Kadri 26 - Soshnikov 23
Hyman 24 - Holland 25 - Leivo 23
(Leipsic 22 - Froese 25 - Brown 22)
(Timashov 20 - Gauthier 21 - Johnson 22)

Gardiner 26 - Rielly 22
Zaitsev 25 - Carrick 22
Marincin* 24 - Corrado* 23 / Harrington* 23 - Percy* 23
(Valiev 21 - Loov 24)
(Dermott 20 - Nielsen 20)

* - some of these guys lost on waivers

Sparks 23
xxxxxxxxx
(Bibeau 22)

Cut: Bernier, Hunwick, Robidas, Bozak, Lupul, Michalek, Laich, Greening

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This is my lineup projection, assuming we get Matthews and Zaitsev like McKenzie suggested. (Line combos could variate, just went with a quick mock up).

Soshnikov - Kadri - Komarov
JVR - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Nylander - Brown
Michalek - Laich - Leivo
Greening

Hunwick - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Percy - Carrick
Marincin/Loov - Harrington

Bernier
Sparks

Notes:

-Bozak and Holland traded. Could be some salary back especially for Bozak, which could change the lineup a little but we will assume they returned late pick(s) and average value back.
-Stamkos not signed.
-Lupul on LTIR
-Brown has has a good chance of making the team with a good camp. He was last cut this past season. Good end to the season and he'll be in the conversation.
-Marner has a good chance of making it.
-Between Marincin and Loov for the #7/8 spot. Percy could be traded.

Simple. A 4 forward roll out --- enough with the top6/bottom6 Burke crap. Defence is still a big big big big question mark but upside is there. Hunwick stays because Babcock loves the guy and could be a great trade bait at the deadline. This upcoming season will be a big test for a lot of the depth defenders like Harrington, Percy, Loov, etc. Dermott won't be far behind to steal a spot.

Not looking in to FA? you need some experience

r3v07ut10n

Aug 13, 2008
i dont see how Marincin gets renewed. That guy is atrocious.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not looking in to FA? you need some experience

No. We all ready have enough 'experience' with Hunwick, Gardiner, Rielly (3 seasons now) JVR, Kadri, Komarov, Laich and Michalek. Why add to this group? What good did adding experience through free agency in the last 10 years get us? We have Babcock and his staff to lead this team as well. I don't see use of signing 'experience' for a few years when we have plenty of players coming up.

We could probably add a more stable defensive player instead of one of the youngsters (Marincin, Loov, Harrington, Percy, etc) on the bottom pairing to go with Corrado or Carrick, but I doubt it'll make much of a difference in the end. There isn't a single UFA defender that I would sign for more than 1 year because none of them would be considered long-term core players or even big upgrades.

Welcome to the growing pains.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We can't have a team made up entirely of 25 and under, either. I'd swap a Lupul for Lucic with around the same cap hit any day of the week.

Ya lets ignore the other vets on the team, they don't exist:shakehead

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You see any standout leadership vet material currently that can effectively play top six, top four on a GOOD team?

your trying to make a good team next year?

vets don't have to be top 6 to be effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad