TSN: 2016/17 Projected lineup

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's actually not a horrible idea to "Corrado" Marner.

Let him build strength and conditioning for the first 2 months, get practice time in, maybe the odd game or so, and then insert him full-time come January.

heck, maybe Lou can sneak him down to the AHL for a couple conditioning stints. The NHL blocked BUF from doing it with Grigs, but Lou always finds those loopholes.

Assuming Matthews for a these purposes, I'd like to see;

James van Reimsdyk - Auston Matthews - Milan Michalek
Nikita Soshnikov - William Nylander - Brad Boyes/Mitch Marner
Brandon Leipsic - Tyler Bozak - Josh Leivo
Brooks Laich - Zach Hyman - Connor Brown

I'd bring back Brad Boyes (or even Parenteau) to play when Marner isn't, based on McKenzie's theory that Marner will be "Corrado'd".

Nazem Kadri is traded. Maybe for another 1st, or some sort of d-man

Morgan Rielly - XXXXX
Jake Gardiner - Nikita Zaitsev
Victor Loov - Connor Carrick
Matt Hunwick - Frank Corrado

Hoping to acquire a different partner for Morgan Rielly, ideally through Nazem Kadri, however, if we don't, i'd move Zaitsev and Carrick up, and rotate Hunwick and Corrado in. This also prevents us from exposing Percy to waivers

Garrett Sparks
TBD

Could be Bernier, could be someone else, who knows.

Thoughts?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I tweaked it. Bozak is gone if we win Matthews. I don't see Holland here either. I don't think Babcock likes him.

Sosh-Kadri-Komarov
JVR-Nylander-Michalek (build up his value and sell)
Leivo-Matthews-Marner
Greening-Laich-Hyman
Lupul

Hunwick-Rielly
Gardiner-Zaitsev (didn't like having him in the top 4 off the hop oh well)
Loov-Carrick
Marincin

I'd like to sign a vet though ideally.

Bernier
Sparks

There is one part that sticks out from the TSN list that is total hot garbage

We are going to bring in a 6th D level UFA and expose

Carrick,harrington,percy, to waivers ? well that ain't happening

Leipsic ain't ever cracking this line up (unless there are injuries)

With the need to add marner next year ,greening being around and who knows what happens with rfa Holland, I doubt we see brown any time soon.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think this is more realistic and if we don't get Auston then slide Bozak in his spot.

If we draft Chych I highly doubt he is in a Leafs sweater next year. Better off to just leave him off in that case.

Pretty much, I don't think we put a year of developing Nylander into a centre to just then put him on the wing, or put our 4th overall pick as the 13th forward.

Again, Bob Mackenzie is a great insider, but the line up they had there along with some media types in the Sun and Star were posting on twitter last night were pretty bad.

I know it's hard to just say "move this guy" - I don't think it's hard to move guys like Bozak or Holland this off-season.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Would love to eventually see something like this up front

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Laine - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Soshnikov
Leivo - Holland - Hyman

But there's a good amount of chicken-counting going on there.

Yea, that'd be pretty great. I mean I'd toss out Holland for a Gauthier, but otherwise that forward lineup is Stanley-caliber.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm pretty sure management knows the jam of young players that are making a roster push, but the need for veteran presence in the line up.

I'm expecting a busy off-season of clearing out contracts/players .. It's hard to predict right now.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Yea, that'd be pretty great. I mean I'd toss out Holland for a Gauthier, but otherwise that forward lineup is Stanley-caliber.

I initially had Gauthier in there, but figured he's another year or two away. Everyone else is ready for those roles next year, so I swapped Holland back in for now.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'm pretty sure management knows the jam of young players that are making a roster push, but the need for veteran presence in the line up.

I'm expecting a busy off-season of clearing out contracts/players .. It's hard to predict right now.

You think we are light on vet presence right now?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I initially had Gauthier in there, but figured he's another year or two away. Everyone else is ready for those roles next year, so I swapped Holland back in for now.

The goat will be called up when they trade laich back to wash at the td.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
You think we are light on vet presence right now?

Not really. There's enough there, but there are young guys who you can definitely argue are better players right now and should be in the roster next season. Problem is there is not enough room for both.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
- no idea why we'd want Maricin back

- if we win the draft i see us trying to add young(ish) vets and accelerate the rebuild

There's no set in stone plan and the direction we go i believe is dependent on where we draft .

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Doubt that'll be the roster as they didn't even speculate on any trades - which will no doubt happen.

Bozak and Hunwick need to be replaced there. Maybe drop Nylander into the 3 spot if they end up signing Stamkos or winning the Lottery and draft Matthews. No use having Holland on line 4 when someone like Greening can easily play that position.

Waiver eligibility will be a factor for some forwards. Leipsic for example, according to capfriendly.com is waiver exempt until the 2017-2018 season. That may see him start the year on the farm. Leivo is another who's waiver eligible next season and could be squeezed out from other players prior to the season.

I think they are stuck with Michalek and Laich, could see a market for Greening if the Leafs look to retain. Could see a market for Bernier too after they pay his bonus out in the summer (IIRC his salary would be 2 million for the rest of the year). They probably go the UFA route for a replacement and run Sparks as backup.

Wouldn't even go the UFA route (save for Zaitsev) on defense unless it's for someone like Jason Demers, or maybe Bryan Campbell on a 1-year-deal. Gardiner/Rielly/Zaitsev/Marincin/Corrado/UFA/Harrington/Carrick. Could see Percy being moved for an extra pick come draft time due to waiver eligibility. Loov is exempt which will probably keep him down there at least to start the year.

Leafs have a lot of draft picks and I wouldn't put it past them trying to move picks for negotiating rights to players in the summer, or to try and pry a player off a cap strapped team. Lots to be done still.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The goat will be called up when they trade laich back to wash at the td.

I'd be alright with that if you're correct, but I'm also under the impression that they really want to give him a chance over the next year or two to open up his offense and see how well-rounded he can become, not just continue to be a defensive force. Because of that, I'd prefer a wait-and-see approach with him for the time being.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Honestly, I wouldn't be upset with that for the 2nd year of Shanny's rebuild

Thoughts?

leafs.jpg

Can't see Holland staying and I'd be very surprised if Carrick doesn't make the Team.

If they are adding Zaitzev/Matthews may as well add Stamkos.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
JVR Kadri Soshnikov
Michalek Nylander Laine
Laich Holland Komorov
Brown Hyman Leivo
Marner

Rielly Hunwick
Gardiner Zaitsev
Loov Carrick
Corrado

- Trade Bozak for whatever (D)
- Trade JVR for D and prospects / picks
- Trade Leivo (promote Brown)
- Trade Percy
- Greening / Cowen / Lupul (AHL / LTIR / Dumped)

- Sign Goligosky / Russell / Demers
- Sign Lucic / Ladd

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Doubt that'll be the roster as they didn't even speculate on any trades - which will no doubt happen.

Bozak and Hunwick need to be replaced there. Maybe drop Nylander into the 3 spot if they end up signing Stamkos or winning the Lottery and draft Matthews. No use having Holland on line 4 when someone like Greening can easily play that position.

Waiver eligibility will be a factor for some forwards. Leipsic for example, according to capfriendly.com is waiver exempt until the 2017-2018 season. That may see him start the year on the farm. Leivo is another who's waiver eligible next season and could be squeezed out from other players prior to the season.

I think they are stuck with Michalek and Laich, could see a market for Greening if the Leafs look to retain. Could see a market for Bernier too after they pay his bonus out in the summer (IIRC his salary would be 2 million for the rest of the year). They probably go the UFA route for a replacement and run Sparks as backup.

Wouldn't even go the UFA route (save for Zaitsev) on defense unless it's for someone like Jason Demers, or maybe Bryan Campbell on a 1-year-deal. Gardiner/Rielly/Zaitsev/Marincin/Corrado/UFA/Harrington/Carrick. Could see Percy being moved for an extra pick come draft time due to waiver eligibility. Loov is exempt which will probably keep him down there at least to start the year.

Leafs have a lot of draft picks and I wouldn't put it past them trying to move picks for negotiating rights to players in the summer, or to try and pry a player off a cap strapped team. Lots to be done still.

Well, I get it tho

crazy tough predicting trades.

might as well work with

possible pending UFAs

our prospect pool and their waiver issues

possible 2016 1rst added

but I predict nothing crazy happens till the "stamkos issue" is sussed out.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'd be alright with that if you're correct, but I'm also under the impression that they really want to give him a chance over the next year or two to open up his offense and see how well-rounded he can become, not just continue to be a defensive force. Because of that, I'd prefer a wait-and-see approach with him for the time being.

Well , I'm trying to put myself into coach babs shoes here

When laich is traded, who is my #1 or #2 PK C?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Marner can't play in the AHL next year. It's Leafs or Knights. I believe he will be in the NHL next year. Also, it's so hypothetical as we have no idea if Matthews will be here or not.

Apparently he can play, if it is a conditioning stint... but can't be assigned there, as a Marlies player. Much the same way you can use a one way player, without going through waivers I assume on a conditioning stint. This was Bobby Mac and TSN claiming that it is possible, so I'll assume they know what they are talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad