2016-17 Playoff Race: Lightning miss playoffs by one win

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Here's a little run down of the race as it stands per NHL.com.

Here are the Stanley Cup Playoffs clinching scenarios for April 8:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

The Toronto Maple Leafs will clinch a playoff berth if they defeat the Pittsburgh Penguins in any fashion.

The Ottawa Senators will clinch the No. 2 seed in the Atlantic Division:

* If they defeat the New York Rangers in any fashion

OR

* If they get one point against the Rangers AND the Boston Bruins lose to the Washington Capitals in any fashion AND the Toronto Maple Leafs lose to the Penguins in any fashion

OR

* If the Bruins and Maple Leafs each lose in regulation

The New York Islanders are out:

* If they lose to the New Jersey Devils in any fashion

* If Toronto wins in any fashion

* If Toronto gets one point AND the Islanders fail to win in regulation or overtime

The Tampa Bay Lightning (idle) are out:

* If Toronto wins in any fashion

Obviously we need Toronto to lose, but it should be noted that an Ottawa faltered because they'd be ultra motivated vs NYI in that last game if they're still hunting for the 2nd seed rather than just resting everyone.

We need a lot of help.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Pens are playing their B team.

Don't torture yourselves. It ain't happening.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Wishing you the best of luck, which you need a lot of. As a Jets fan, I would be very pleased to see the Leafs leapfrogged by literally anyone (for reasons that should be obvious for anyone who has read the main boards after Matthews and Laine were drafted).

And even if you don't make it, you probably won't see a worse injury bug in the next decade, so chances are that you will be right back in the playoffs next year. There is a lot to like about the team you have.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
If our AHLers can beat the Leafs so can the Pens B team.

I put this more on the shoulders of the Leafs, than the Pens to pull through for us. How bad do they want this? How desperate are they? If they're not up to the challenge, it doesn't matter who they face.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I put this more on the shoulders of the Leafs, than the Pens to pull through for us. How bad do they want this? How desperate are they? If they're not up to the challenge, it doesn't matter who they face.

Toronto should be embarrassed if they can't close this out. I know some people here feel different but should be proud of this group here in Tampa after all the injuries and roster changes that they are still in it till the final two games. Losing to Vancouver and Arizona I think is blown a little out of proportion, some teams just match better against certain teams, regardless of standings.

I'm still holding out hope because it is Toronto, and they are a young team, and can blow this.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Toronto should be embarrassed if they can't close this out. I know some people here feel different but should be proud of this group here in Tampa after all the injuries and roster changes that they are still in it till the final two games. Losing to Vancouver and Arizona I think is blown a little out of proportion, some teams just match better against certain teams, regardless of standings.

I'm still holding out hope because it is Toronto, and they are a young team, and can blow this.
If they can't get a win in a high stakes game like this, than what can they expect to do in the actual playoffs where everything on and off the ice is amplified 10 times greater? It's all part of a young inexperienced team learning how to win. They could become really scary in the future, but are they ready right now?

Losing to the bottom teams hurts, but be beat plenty of good teams down the stretch we should have probably lost to like Minnesota, Chicago, Anaheim, and Edmonton. And on the road, we got some big time points @Boston, @Montreal, @ Ottawa, & @ NYR these past 2 months. We clawed our way back with a team on paper that had no business doing what we did. We went 19-7-4 in Feb, Mar, and April. So good on us for never quitting and making a race out of this, but I don't believe in a team deserving something. You gotta earn it. So this is a little weird right now where Toronto still controls their own fate.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Columbus has lost 5 in a row. I don't think Torts is going to let them take the night off tomorrow and back into the playoffs with half a dozen straight losses.

If the Pens can help us out tonight, I really think Columbus helps us tomorrow.

Hopefully the Hockey Gods remember back in 2011 when we went all out against the Canes on the last game of the season, even though we clinched, that allowed the Rangers to make the playoffs.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Cooper should do like ol' Crispy did back in 1996 and clean his pool during the game tonight (for those who don't remember our first playoff appearance came down to needing help from league worst Ottawa to beat the defending champion Devils for that last spot).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad