2016-17 Playoff Race: Lightning miss playoffs by one win

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
I was just outside smoking a cig freezing my ass off. This weather needs to warm up.

58 low tonight. Had to close my windows!

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Sabres fan here, I am rooting for Tampa to win out and take the last spot over the Leafs. The way Tampa has played this year without Stamkos for the majority of the year and after moving Bishop is admirable. If it comes down to it on Sunday I hope our coach/team just throws the game in your favor. Nothing would infuriate me more is to see the Sabres be "wannabe heroes" winning a meaningless game. Not that I think it will come to that, you have had our number for quite a bit now. Good luck and here's to Toronto losing out in regulation and you guys winning out :thumbu:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
So whats our road to the playoffs?

I'm a neutral fan but would like Tampa to make it the most.

Tampa can tie at 94 points with TOR (=38 OT/REG wins each). Then their season record agaisnt one another comes to play but they can't tie at 93 or 94 points with Islanders because NYI got more OT/REG wins. Assuming none of the remaining wins for NYI aren't SO wins.

93 Toronto - 38 OT/REG wins
90 Islanders - 37 OT/REG wins
90 Tampa - 36 OT/REG wins

If Tampa is out, 94 points tie between NYI and TOR means that NYI goes to playoffs. NYI 39 OT/REG wins vs TOR 38. Remaining games have to be non shootout wins for NYI.

This one I don't know and I'd like someone to tell me what happens if NYI & TOR tie at 93 points. That is same amount of OT/REG wins, 38. Rules say here (posted in 2013):

"The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs."

http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?page=nhl/tiebreakers

I'm unsure what NYI & TOR season record against each other is. How is Tampa's season record against NYI & TOR?

Last edited:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I'm a neutral fan but would like Tampa to make it the most.

Tampa can tie at 94 points with TOR (=38 OT/REG wins each). Then their season record agaisnt one another comes to play but they can't tie at 93 or 94 points with Islanders because NYI got more OT/REG wins. Assuming none of the remaining wins for NYI aren't SO wins.

93 Toronto - 38 OT/REG wins
90 Islanders - 37 OT/REG wins
90 Tampa - 36 OT/REG wins

If Tampa is out, 94 points tie between NYI and TOR means that NYI goes to playoffs. NYI 39 OT/REG wins vs TOR 38. Remaining games have to be non shootout wins for NYI.

This one I don't know and I'd like someone to tell me what happens if NYI & TOR tie at 93 points. That is same amount of OT/REG wins, 38. Rules say here (posted in 2013):

"The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs."

http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?page=nhl/tiebreakers

I'm unsure what NYI & TOR season record against each other is. How is Tampa's season record against NYI & TOR?

We hold the 2nd tie breaker over both teams.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I mean, the Islanders can win out, but if either the Devils or Senators could at least push them into a shootout for one of those games, their ROW tiebreaker would dissolve in that case (provided the Lightning don't go to a shootout themselves). So it's unlikely, but not impossible, to get in over New York even if the Islanders pick up all their remaining points.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I mean, the Islanders can win out, but if either the Devils or Senators could at least push them into a shootout for one of those games, their ROW tiebreaker would dissolve in that case (provided the Lightning don't go to a shootout themselves). So it's unlikely, but not impossible, to get in over New York even if the Islanders pick up all their remaining points.

Yup.

To make the playoffs:

Win out with 2 ROWs.
AND
Toronto can get a maximum of 1/4 points.
AND
The Isles can get a maximum of 4/4 points as long as they get at least 1 shootout win.

It's very unlikely, but at the same time Toronto plays Pittsburgh and Columbus b2b. We just have one hard game. If we beat the Habs with a ROW, I can't see us losing to Buffalo at home to make the playoffs. Our biggest impediment to making the playoffs is probably the Isles.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rooting for you guys. What is the chance of Stamkos playing tonight? Heard he could be in if TB still had a playoff chance.

Stamkos is most likely done for the regular season. He has been getting some kind of discomfort or stiffness in his knee and does not feel he is 100 percent to return. I applaud him, he could do more bad than good if he is not 100 percent and returns. It has to be killing him now that he is not ready to return to try and help this team win.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Stamkos is most likely done for the regular season. He has been getting some kind of discomfort or stiffness in his knee and does not feel he is 100 percent to return. I applaud him, he could do more bad than good if he is not 100 percent and returns. It has to be killing him now that he is not ready to return to try and help this team win.

Thanks for the update. Will Johnson at least have a chance to be in against the Habs?

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

As an aside do you think Stamkos sees the ice at some point in round 1 if TB sneaks in to the playoffs?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thanks for the update. Will Johnson at least have a chance to be in against the Habs?

He was a game time decision last night, no skate this morning, so won't know till after Cooper's presser.

As an aside do you think Stamkos sees the ice at some point in round 1 if TB sneaks in to the playoffs?

I think Tampa could get everyone back at some point during the 1st round if they make it.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
They live to fight another day....again

This has become an amazing scenario. TOR plays the 2 remaining games at home ice, which sucks and sounds pretty unfair. They still aren't going to beat Pit on Saturday so it comes down to 1 game vs Columbus. Columbus also plays on Saturday so TOR has an advantage coming into that game.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Congrats on the huge win tonight. If the Leafs lose out you guys got this.... our mental midgets in the Sabres aren't going to beat you Sunday. Plus they'll be playing the second half of a back to back away noless.

If you guys can get in there you are the one Atlantic division team who I can see giving Washington trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad