League News: 2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Part the Second (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Wise. They dont' call it the "purple plague" for nothing. lol. I spend most of last night's game dealing with part 1 of that monstrosity :laugh:

and now part 2 is closed. They got their wish. Another Sid scandal buried by the ROOT sports street team.
Certain avatars show up and you know it's over.

It's almost insulting the NHL didn't at least "have a phone call". Could you at least try to keep the basis questionable?

I thought so.

Just thinking how the referees can even miss a call like that? They saw the slash and they saw the result.

Wondering that because this isn't a call you have to make within an inch of a second. You can shove that chopped finger in the refs face as long as you want and at any point the referee should have no other option than to make the call.

I mean do that and what's the referee going to say to justify the non-call? That the piece of finger must have came off from dumping the puck in?

Exactly the kind of stuff i hate with this league. They have a rulebook but the referees don't have to follow it. Propably the only thing i hate more is announcer saying that ''Capitals just had 3 straight PP's, so the next call is going to go against them'' (looking at you, Laughlin). Sadly that seems to be the truth usually these days though.

'Game management'. Can't wait to see the day these zebras are replaced with robots that make sure the players decide the result.
Funny considering Ovie and some other Caps have been getting hammered on way lesser Slashes lately. Not saying the Caps weren't getting them in the hands, but how does this two hander on the puck carrier not get called?

The NHL's front office will have to be gutted before any reasonable change can be made. A lot of the same idiots that were going off the deep end about integrity and other nonsense when Wideman ran into the linesmen are the same ones that were saying 10 games was too much for the Duck player.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
By the way the NHL just missed a huge opportunity to make a big statement regarding stick infractions. It's pretty telling that slashes like that are looked as common these days and rarely result in anything, at most a 2-minute minor. This is the ugly side of what the result can be and it's already been all over the news during this season how star players take dozens of slashes in a game and very few of them even result in a penalty. That's pretty cheap price for at worst taking out one of the other teams star players.

Crosby suspension would have caught everyones eye at that regard. It wouldn't really even mattered if it was just a 1-game suspension. Missed opportunity there.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
By the way the NHL just missed a huge opportunity to make a big statement regarding stick infractions. It's pretty telling that slashes like that are looked as common these days and rarely result in anything, at most a 2-minute minor. This is the ugly side of what the result can be and it's already been all over the news during this season how star players take dozens of slashes in a game and very few of them even result in a penalty. That's pretty cheap price for at worst taking out one of the other teams star players.

Crosby suspension would have caught everyones eye at that regard. It wouldn't really even mattered if it was just a 1-game suspension. Missed opportunity there.

Agree. I'm fairly certain that Ovie's low shot totals this year are the result of a slashing-related wrist issue. If the league cracks down on that stuff starting with a marquis offender, it would probably be curtailed significantly. And as a bonus, scoring--or at least shooting--might increase.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009

There was no way Crosby gets anything after nothing was done to the Wild for their antics against Gaudreau. You had NHL shows going through and counting the slashes, multiple reports of the coaches pointing it out to the ref and a broken hand.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Agree. I'm fairly certain that Ovie's low shot totals this year are the result of a slashing-related wrist issue. If the league cracks down on that stuff starting with a marquis offender, it would probably be curtailed significantly. And as a bonus, scoring--or at least shooting--might increase.

This exactly.

There really has been just few faces for this issue recently. Giroux was complaining about it alot at one point which made him one of those. Gaudreau is the other guy who was pretty much slashed as many times as his hands could take before breaking.

I would think that the scoring would definitely increase with that. Very few of the players that actually play through hand and wrist injuries ever even come public with it. I wouldn't even be shocked if most of the star players at this stage of the season are actually playing through some sort of wrist injury. They take so many slashes during a full season and wrist for example is the kind of area that beat up pretty easily, but rarely end up in the news because the players usually just play through that. It still makes a significant impact on their play, and especially shooting.

There was no way Crosby gets anything after nothing was done to the Wild for their antics against Gaudreau. You had NHL shows going through and counting the slashes, multiple reports of the coaches pointing it out to the ref and a broken hand.

There's that, too. Should have said another missed opportunity to make a statement there.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

The NHL is a mickey mouse league. Everything they do is Melnyk tier. Olympics, discipline, expansion, coach's challenge, that horrible nhl.com redesign, everything. Just old stubborn old school half assery. They lucked into a very good setup after the 2005 lockout with the divisions, pace of the game, star players, and pissed it all away one after another. It's like they're trying to drive fans away but can't because the sport is so addictive. But they're doing a pretty good job of keeping new fans from getting sucked in.

They're a hair above the NFL and that's only because the NFL was ok with wifebeating and Kaepernick driving away half the fanbase.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
regional rivalries are keeping the NHL afloat, I'm sure of it

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
MAKE HOCKEY GREAT AGAIN

- Kill coach's challenge
- Call holding and interference
(MOD)

Scoring will go through the roof and the NHL will be fun to watch again.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I hate the NHL.com website.

Even box scores are painful to try to navigate.

At least they finally cleaned up that crap you would see clicking a link - 4 big blue tabs showing useless info, that would quickly disappear. It was junk you would see on the bottom of a website that no one wants to see.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I hate the NHL.com website.

Even box scores are painful to try to navigate.

At least they finally cleaned up that crap you would see clicking a link - 4 big blue tabs showing useless info, that would quickly disappear. It was junk you would see on the bottom of a website that no one wants to see.

I miss the old website I hated it as soon as it was changed a year or two ago?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
lol nhl overturns a clear islanders goal against the pens.

And now the Pens challenge what looks like an offside prior to a 2nd Islanders goal, but lose because the skate blade was returned to the blueline before the puck was touched by the entering skater.

Pens fans are going to think it was a make up call.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If you don't want to talk about the Penguins stay off the main boards right now. Top 5 or so threads are all about Sid or Pittsburgh

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Hell with that. Call it out. Shine a light.

Some are saying "it wouldn't be getting this much attention if it wasn't Crosby". What? How often do we see a slash remove part of someone's body? What's the generally accepted historical limit for conversations about a guy having his pinky tip chopped off?

If anything people are probably used to Crosby never being punished for nutpunching or cup checking or punching guys in the back of the head or whatever. So they may even be more likely to let it go.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Some are saying "it wouldn't be getting this much attention if it wasn't Crosby". What? How often do we see a slash remove part of someone's body? What's the generally accepted historical limit for conversations about a guy having his pinky tip chopped off?

If anything people are probably used to Crosby never being punished for nutpunching or cup checking or punching guys in the back of the head or whatever. So they may even be more likely to let it go.

The NHL is ignoring it because it's Sid. That's why it's getting so much attention. It's a gruesome injury from a play we all know happens all the time. But the rule book clearly calls for action and the league is behaving like nothing happened.

If Pen's fans want it to go away they should demand the league step up and treat all players fairly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad