League News: 2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Free Agency Fallout (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Gallant fired by the Florida Panthers tonight. Seems odd considering he was a jack Adams finalist and that team apparently had a good amount of injuries

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Don't think a Jack Adams finalist appearance buys him much, considering even the winners don't have much of a lifespan these days. The only Jack Adams winner between 2010-2015 still employed by the same team is Hitchcock, and this is his last season with the Blues.

Read into this trend however you want regarding our own 2016 winner.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
No idea what is going on in Florida.

They had a really good season and then suddenly they go on and change pretty much everything, from logo to jerseys to GM, players and finally the coach too. Whoever made the decision better be sure of what he's doing with that team or they'll end up as a laughing stock. Gallant is a pretty good coach and liked among his players.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Gerard Gallant was apparently very dismissive of the analytic process and the guys who run the show...aren't. I can see how there would be friction between the two sides.

That being said, don't make your just-fired coach catch a cab from the arena. That's cold.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe he was a bigger ass than those that made him fetch a cab. Gallant was punk in his Detroit yute.

The Anti Fire Trotz crew, want to wager that firing Gallant in Florida will backfire, since you know, who could his replacement possibly be, he needs more time, or whatever fears there are with trying a new voice.

Listen I am not calling for Barry's neck, but after living through the Murray's and 40 years of failures, coaching changes are always an option in my book when a team is listless, under performing, and consistently choking in the games they simply need to hit the switch.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Are there any big name coaches on the hot seat? Laviolette seems to have righted the ship in Nashville, and I was secretly hoping they'd struggle for longer and he'd get the surprise axe and Washington could sweep him up. But most of the guys who seem like they could get axed (Capuano, Desjardins, Peters) aren't exactly inspiring candidates. Maybe Dan Bylsma.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Are there any big name coaches on the hot seat? Laviolette seems to have righted the ship in Nashville, and I was secretly hoping they'd struggle for longer and he'd get the surprise axe and Washington could sweep him up. But most of the guys who seem like they could get axed (Capuano, Desjardins, Peters) aren't exactly inspiring candidates. Maybe Dan Bylsma.

None of the guys you mentioned are better coaches than Trotz IMO. Laviolette is somewhat close but i still think Trotz is a better coach. They do have different systems though. If Mitch Korn is tied to that choice then it's even more obvious that i'd keep Trotz. Bill Peters is not that bad of a coach but just has brutal team to work with, i would still keep Trotz because Peters is kind of a wild-card. It would be cringe-worthy if they fired Trotz just to hire Capuano or Desjarding. They are 2 of the worst coaches currently to have a job. I wouldn't even consider Dan Bylsma either.

I'm not going to go to the obvious ones (Babcock / Quenneville) who won't get sacked, but the guy that's still interesting IMO is Alain Vigneault. I think he's a really good coach, who plays system that would fit well to most of the guys on the team. Obviously his teams rely alot on speed so you'd need to have a GM that is on the same page, but if there ever is a coaching change, he would be someone i would want. I wanted him already when he was fired from the Canucks.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
None of the guys you mentioned are better coaches than Trotz IMO. Laviolette is somewhat close but i still think Trotz is a better coach. They do have different systems though. If Mitch Korn is tied to that choice then it's even more obvious that i'd keep Trotz. Bill Peters is not that bad of a coach but just has brutal team to work with, i would still keep Trotz because Peters is kind of a wild-card. It would be cringe-worthy if they fired Trotz just to hire Capuano or Desjarding. They are 2 of the worst coaches currently to have a job. I wouldn't even consider Dan Bylsma either.

I'm not going to go to the obvious ones (Babcock / Quenneville) who won't get sacked, but the guy that's still interesting IMO is Alain Vigneault. I think he's a really good coach, who plays system that would fit well to most of the guys on the team. Obviously his teams rely alot on speed so you'd need to have a GM that is on the same page, but if there ever is a coaching change, he would be someone i would want. I wanted him already when he was fired from the Canucks.

I'd take Laviolette over Trotz without a doubt. I was pushing for Laviolette during our last coaching vacancy. Bylsma is a toss up, it would depend on the timing and other factors. The other three I mentioned as being uninspiring for a reason.

I'd also take Vigneault, but I don't think there's much of a chance he gets fired.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe he was a bigger ass than those that made him fetch a cab. Gallant was punk in his Detroit yute.

The Anti Fire Trotz crew, want to wager that firing Gallant in Florida will backfire, since you know, who could his replacement possibly be, he needs more time, or whatever fears there are with trying a new voice.

Listen I am not calling for Barry's neck, but after living through the Murray's and 40 years of failures, coaching changes are always an option in my book when a team is listless, under performing, and consistently choking in the games they simply need to hit the switch.

Seems pretty clear you want Barry's head on the chopping block. I look forward to your calls for the head of the next guy, and so on and so on.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Trotz was Ted's GUY. When does Ted ever fire, anyone? I mean, seriously? When?

You may get your wish, as it seems Trotz only has a year left on his deal, after this season. So he may leave on his own accord, especially if the contract numbers it his article are accurate

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2016/05/09/barry-trotz-doesnt-get-paid-enough/

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Seems pretty clear you want Barry's head on the chopping block. I look forward to your calls for the head of the next guy, and so on and so on.

Seems clear you defend him and choose to blame the players. I see Barry and the team regressing; I fear he may have peaked already. Is that completely off base; or does his history show taking teams to the next level after regressions?

I said I would give him to Christmas after last seasons playoff flop to fix our embarrassing ES offense. He maybe bought an extra month since he beat Pitt that one time, but our ESO looks like crap to me. Last year proved him stubborn to change, and his approach to offense remains rather.... dated. Fooling no one, he is a defensive first guy, yet has many stud horses on O.... square peg?

Regardless I don't see the big deal of anyone wanting a shakeup after 10 straight months of stagnant inconsistent and sloppy play. I grade heavy by what I see in the playoffs. We were a dud and lucky to get past lowly Philly.

What is your magic # of months before you want a shakeup, and give up expecting the players to fix the system that appears to have peaked last January.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Trotz bag-skated the team a few days after the Toronto game, despite the 3 games in 4 nights thing, right? That's sending a message. That means something is wrong there, and the usual means of communication between coach and player(s) isn't working.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Trotz was Ted's GUY. When does Ted ever fire, anyone? I mean, seriously? When?

You may get your wish, as it seems Trotz only has a year left on his deal, after this season. So he may leave on his own accord, especially if the contract numbers it his article are accurate

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2016/05/09/barry-trotz-doesnt-get-paid-enough/

Wow interesting about the money. Maybe demand for Barry just wasn't there. There are only so many jobs, and no one coaches forever. He was Ted's guy? I thought he was BMac's. That all means he is Patrick's guy :laugh:

It's not so much a wish, but an alternative I would consider to the struggles I have seen since January, since Barry seems to be struggling to right things on his own.

The team shows just enough to stave off anyone feeling the pressing need to take action, but we are in a pattern of inconsistent play now. It's not just Kuz Bura and Orlov.

Complacency does seem to have its place here; especially with the Murray's setting the tenure bar. Yes I eventually wanted them both gone, too. Nothing terribly wrong with them or Barry, but patience is running thin and the Ovi held open window is closing.

I still find it telling how Nashville's offense took off once Barry took off.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Wow interesting about the money. Maybe demand for Barry just wasn't there. There are only so many jobs, and no one coaches forever. He was Ted's guy? I thought he was BMac's. That all means he is Patrick's guy :laugh:

It's not so much a wish, but an alternative I would consider to the struggles I have seen since January, since Barry seems to be struggling to right things on his own.

The team shows just enough to stave off anyone feeling the pressing need to take action, but we are in a pattern of inconsistent play now. It's not just Kuz Bura and Orlov.

Complacency does seem to have its place here; especially with the Murray's setting the tenure bar. Yes I eventually wanted them both gone, too. Nothing terribly wrong with them or Barry, but patience is running thin and the Ovi held open window is closing.

I still find it telling how Nashville's offense took off once Barry took off.

Not that i'm arguing too much into that since Laviolette is an offensive coach and Trotz is a defensive one, but they did Filip Forsberg full-time after Trotz left, and more recently Ryan Johansen. That's 2 of the 3 guys on their current 1st line. Kevin Fiala who was drafted after Trotz left is on their current 2nd line.

Laviolette has a much better team to work with than the one Trotz left behind in Nashville.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Seems clear you defend him and choose to blame the players. I see Barry and the team regressing; I fear he may have peaked already. Is that completely off base; or does his history show taking teams to the next level after regressions?

I said I would give him to Christmas after last seasons playoff flop to fix our embarrassing ES offense. He maybe bought an extra month since he beat Pitt that one time, but our ESO looks like crap to me. Last year proved him stubborn to change, and his approach to offense remains rather.... dated. Fooling no one, he is a defensive first guy, yet has many stud horses on O.... square peg?

Regardless I don't see the big deal of anyone wanting a shakeup after 10 straight months of stagnant inconsistent and sloppy play. I grade heavy by what I see in the playoffs. We were a dud and lucky to get past lowly Philly.

What is your magic # of months before you want a shakeup, and give up expecting the players to fix the system that appears to have peaked last January.

I advocate consistency among coaching regimes typically. Changing coaches, hoping to catch the lighting in a bottle that the Pens caught is a fools errand IMO.

Players play the game. How many coaches need to come and go before you realize this? Fans can keep searching around to find people to blame, but it seems like wasted effort and a bit of hiding heads in the sand. Boswell just said the players and management support "backing off" a bit and saving themselves for the playoffs (something I can NOT support) and you want to call it regression? Regression from what, an insane regular season record like we've had in the past? What's that gotten us so far historically, yet it has fans like you wanting Trotz fired? Regression in your eyes is a .500 record in their last 10 games? They're in 5th place in the East, 3 points out of 2nd and 6 points out of 1st. Again, that's a major regression to warrant firing discussions?

I see no change before the New Years, and likely no change at all. I'd pull the trigger in Jan/Feb IF they suddenly went into a dive and were fighting to hold onto (or out of) the 8th playoff spot. That's the only way it makes sense to me today, mid-season.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not that i'm arguing too much into that since Laviolette is an offensive coach and Trotz is a defensive one, but they did Filip Forsberg full-time after Trotz left, and more recently Ryan Johansen. That's 2 of the 3 guys on their current 1st line. Kevin Fiala who was drafted after Trotz left is on their current 2nd line.

Laviolette has a much better team to work with than the one Trotz left behind in Nashville.

No no...adding good players has nothing to do with it. Offensive-minded coach? Nah, couldn't be! ;)

It's all just the release from not being under Trotz that's suddenly made Nashville the Cup favorites. :popcorn:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
When things go well and a coaching change brings about a desperately needed breath of fresh air, a middling club spinning its wheels can suddenly become an elite, contending force. But when the wrong guy winds up being put in charge, a less than ideal situation suddenly turns into an absolute trainwreck. Sure enough, the NHL has seen plenty of examples of both scenarios.

http://www.thesportster.com/hockey/8-nhl-mid-season-coaching-changes-that-worked-and-8-that-didnt/

Caps on the list and probably not the season/coach you think.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Trotz bag-skated the team a few days after the Toronto game, despite the 3 games in 4 nights thing, right? That's sending a message. That means something is wrong there, and the usual means of communication between coach and player(s) isn't working.

Is that what it means, or does it mean some players are not pulling their weight as their Vezina winning goalie just called out to the press?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Is that what it means, or does it mean some players are not pulling their weight as their Vezina winning goalie just called out to the press?

You don't think they're linked? If a good coach still has effective methods for dealing with certain players then he uses them, particularly if it means just dealing with individuals instead of punishing the entire team.

One way to really cheese off the guys who are pulling their own weight is to punish them along with the guys who are dogging it. This is true in any workplace. It's demotivating, and has the opposite effect on the wrong guys. It's especially bad if goldbrickers who get special treatment most of the time are the ones negatively affecting the lunchpail guys who don't have any real power. Instead of stepping up and leading by example (which hasn't worked) they slack and become "walking wounded", or worst case scenario they turn on the coach/manager.

So this is either a message to the entire team since most need it and/or the coach has run out of ways to do it, or Trotz is being heavy handed and is just out of ideas when it comes to dealing with some select veterans.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think Trotz saw what 70 called out....some BIG guys underperforming at a massive dropoff level (74 92, which if they were both playing at their previous elite levels, would we be having this discussion even?) and some guys maybe slacking off a bit with their new "save it for the playoffs" mentality and he thought they needed a jolt back to reality.

If they lay a stinker next time out, then maybe the message still isn't getting delivered and maybe there's something there.

Yes punishing the team pisses some guys off, it also can rally them to band together......Herb Brooks just rolled over in his grave.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think Trotz saw what 70 called out....some BIG guys underperforming at a massive dropoff level (74 92, which if they were both playing at their previous elite levels, would we be having this discussion even?) and some guys maybe slacking off a bit with their new "save it for the playoffs" mentality and he thought they needed a jolt back to reality.

If they lay a stinker next time out, then maybe the message still isn't getting delivered and maybe there's something there.

Yes punishing the team pisses some guys off, it also can rally them to band together......Herb Brooks just rolled over in his grave.

Brooks was coaching a bunch of amateur kids, not coddled professionals on the back 9 of their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad