WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Yeah, if we can get Dal Colle, Fabbri, Bennett, and Virtanen, the forward group looks pretty good. Although I'd certainly find a way to get Konecny in there, and would also be hesitant to play Strome at center on the international ice given his skating deficiencies. I'd move Bennett over to C, and have Strome on the wing. Konecny can play all three forward positions, move up and down the lineup and play on both special teams, is a fantastic skater, and a gritty competitor for an undersized guy. I'm not familiar with Harkins.

The defense doesn't stand out as being overly strong next year.

Ya, you are correct. I forgot about Strome's skating.

I'm high on Harkins and am hoping he gets to play U18 this spring. He will be available... so tune in to the U18s this April.

I'd rate the d as only slightly better than average. none will be tournament standouts, but more than capable of getting the job done.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Ya, you are correct. I forgot about Strome's skating.

I'm high on Harkins and am hoping he gets to play U18 this spring. He will be available... so tune in to the U18s this April.

I'd rate the d as only slightly better than average. none will be tournament standouts, but more than capable of getting the job done.

Yeah, I took the opportunity to watch Erie vs. Ottawa this past weekend, and was surprised by how weak of a skater Strome is. He's a big kid though - 6'3"', +200 lbs, and of course possesses elite offensive talent. He reminds me of Jason Allison - very strong on the puck, creative playmaker, soft hands, and lethal on the PP...but the skating needs a lot of work IMO if he's going to be successful at the NHL level.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, if we can get Dal Colle, Fabbri, Bennett, and Virtanen, the forward group looks pretty good. Although I'd certainly find a way to get Konecny in there, and would also be hesitant to play Strome at center on the international ice given his skating deficiencies. I'd move Bennett over to C, and have Strome on the wing. Konecny can play all three forward positions, move up and down the lineup and play on both special teams, is a fantastic skater, and a gritty competitor for an undersized guy. I'm not familiar with Harkins.

The defense doesn't stand out as being overly strong next year.

I like what Konecny brings for international ice as well. He impressed me at the U17 tournament last year (Strome had more points, but it was mystifying since he looked pretty bad) and whenever I see him on TV he looks very good. His size might be an issue at the NHL level, but it won't be at the WJC. I very much like Beauvillier for those reasons, and I can definitely see him making the team next year. He's as good offensively as almost anyone in the draft, solid defensively, and he can play left wing (Canada seems to have a lot of righties in the upcoming draft). His only knock is size, and that isn't a huge obstacle at this level.

In addition to guys like Bennett, Fabbri, Dal Colle and Virtanen, it will be interesting to see what happens with the 2015 drafted forwards. Crouse is going to look attractive to coaches due to his size and competent defensive game, and Marner has the potential to impress early on as well, particularly before the games become very intense. I can't see Fabbri (St. Louis is already very deep) or Virtanen (not big enough to play his physical game in the NHL) in the NHL next year, and I certainly hope that Marner is allowed to play at least one more year in junior to put on some more size if nothing else. It would be nice to see Bennett given the chance to dominate given his wasted year this year, but it's hard to say what will happen with him. Dal Colle seems to be having a very good year, though I'm not sure is New York would want to use him as soon as next year. Getting all of the eligible players other than McDavid and Ekblad would be nice, but missing only two players due to NHL activity is a rarity.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I like what Konecny brings for international ice as well. He impressed me at the U17 tournament last year (Strome had more points, but it was mystifying since he looked pretty bad) and whenever I see him on TV he looks very good. His size might be an issue at the NHL level, but it won't be at the WJC. I very much like Beauvillier for those reasons, and I can definitely see him making the team next year. He's as good offensively as almost anyone in the draft, solid defensively, and he can play left wing (Canada seems to have a lot of righties in the upcoming draft). His only knock is size, and that isn't a huge obstacle at this level.

In addition to guys like Bennett, Fabbri, Dal Colle and Virtanen, it will be interesting to see what happens with the 2015 drafted forwards. Crouse is going to look attractive to coaches due to his size and competent defensive game, and Marner has the potential to impress early on as well, particularly before the games become very intense. I can't see Fabbri (St. Louis is already very deep) or Virtanen (not big enough to play his physical game in the NHL) in the NHL next year, and I certainly hope that Marner is allowed to play at least one more year in junior to put on some more size if nothing else. It would be nice to see Bennett given the chance to dominate given his wasted year this year, but it's hard to say what will happen with him. Dal Colle seems to be having a very good year, though I'm not sure is New York would want to use him as soon as next year. Getting all of the eligible players other than McDavid and Ekblad would be nice, but missing only two players due to NHL activity is a rarity.

Yeah, all of those players you just listed are, in my view, at least probable of either still being in junior next season, or being loaned out to Team Canada - for the reasons you noted above. I personally think Bennett has the highest chance of sticking with Calgary given his draft position and the composition of Calgary's forward group, but then I believe he'll be loaned out like Lazar/Duclair were this year. I'll have to try and catch Beauvillier (and Harkins) - I'm guilty of being pretty OHL-oriented.

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
Dal Colle-Bennett-Ho Sang
Fabbri-Strome-Virtanen
Crouse-McCann-Point
Hawryluk-Chartier-Perlini

Bleackley/Marner

Sanheim-Fleury
McKeown-Hicketts
Martin-Roy
Carrier

Blackwood
McDonald

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Robby Fabbri - Sam Bennett - Brayden Point
Michael Dal Colle - Dylan Strome - Mitchell Marner
Lawson Crouse - Mathew Barzal - Jake Virtanen
Brendan Perlini - Travis Konecny - Jayce Hawryluk
Daniel Sprong

Travis Sanheim - Jeremy Roy
Haydn Fleury - Joe Hicketts
Jakob Chychrun - Roland McKeown
Sean Day

MacKenzie Blackwood
Mason McDonald

I personally think Bennett ends up in the NHL so I excluded him from my roster, but I see it like this.

Michael Dal Colle - Dylan Strome - Jake Virtanen
Brendan Perlini - Robby Fabbri - Mitchell Marner
Lawson Crouse - Jared McCann- Jayce Hawryluk
Jansen Harkins - Mathew Barzal - Brayden Point
Travis Konecny

Travis Sanheim - Roland McKeown
Jakob Chychrun - Jeremy Roy
Thomas Chabot

Mason McDonald
MacKenzie Blackwood

If Bennett is back, then I see the forward lines shaking down like this.

Robby Fabbri - Sam Bennett - Jake Virtanen
Michael Dal Colle- Dylan Strome- Mitchell Marner
Brendan Perlini - Mathew Barzal - Brayden Point
Travis Konecny

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Kind of shocking to read some people want a bottom 6 with this team. Haven't we learned that you can't just take a bottom 6 guy because he fills the role better than someone else. We have to just take the best talented players and make a team. This past year's team should be a prime example on how to make a team up. There weren't any bottom 6 guys that were a perfect fit, all of them had potential, all of them were skilled, and the players that were picked for bottom 6 roles adapted well.

That should be the way we choose our team for now on. Best players available at all times, and fill in lines as the coaches see fit. As a nation we're too skilled and too deep to settle for less talented bottom 6 guys because that's their role on their junior clubs. Best skilled players at all positions and use our skill and speed to skate circles around teams

Last edited:

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I personally think Bennett ends up in the NHL so I excluded him from my roster, but I see it like this.

Michael Dal Colle - Dylan Strome - Jake Virtanen
Brendan Perlini - Robby Fabbri - Mitchell Marner
Jansen Harkins - Mathew Barzal - Brayden Point
Travis Konecny

Travis Sanheim - Roland McKeown
Jakob Chychrun - Jeremy Roy
Thomas Chabot

Mason McDonald
MacKenzie Blackwood

If Bennett is back, then I see the forward lines shaking down like this.

Robby Fabbri - Sam Bennett - Jake Virtanen
Michael Dal Colle- Dylan Strome- Mitchell Marner
Brendan Perlini - Mathew Barzal - Brayden Point
Travis Konecny

Move the guys up and down the line up as you see fit, with so many centers it's hard to pick who stays at C and who moves to the wing.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Wonder if Marner will be available considering how much he is producing and with comparisons to Kane who went to the NHL after he got drafted it makes me think that Marner isn't quite a sure bet. It seems like Calgary will probably keep Bennett, he looks impressive so far coming from an injury. He already added 15 pounds during his injury and he might add more in the off-season to help his chances for the NHL. Dal Colle, Virtanen and Fabbri will stay even though Fabbri was giving the Blues a hard time. Probably going to be a young forward group but I think adding guys like McCann, Perlini, Lemieux will add a good physical maturity to the team.

Dal Colle-Bennett-Marner
Fabbri-Barzal-Virtanen
Crouse-McCann-Konecny
Perlini-Chartier-Point
Lemieux

Sanheim-J.Roy
Fleury-Carrier
Chabot-Meloche
Hicketts

Blackwood
MacDonald

Looks pretty sweet to me, I hope a couple of 2015 RHDs can become something really solid. J.Roy looks like a stud, I hope Carrier/Meloche/Chabot take their game to another level because we'll need that since the D is going to be weaker.

Last edited:

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I'll take a shot

Michael Dal Colle - Robby Fabbri - Jake Virtanen
Sam Bennett - Braydon Point - Mitch Marner
Lawson Crouse - Dylan Strome - Josh Ho Sang
Brendan Lemieux - Rourke Chartier - Travis Konecny
Matt Barzal

Travis Sanheim - Joe Hicketts
Jakob Chychrun - Alexandre Carrier
Sean Day - Jeremy Roy
Thomas Chabot

Mackenzie Blackwood
Callum Booth

Groulx comes back because he won Gold.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Since TSN is reporting that Dave Lowry is going to be named coach for next year, does anyone have any insights on him?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Lowry coaches a hard-nosed game. Players play hard every game and even though they don't have a lot of skill the Royals are having a great season. Lowry was responsible for the defence at the 2015 WJC and I'd say he did a great job with those guys, but of course they were all very good players in the CHL aswell.

I like the decision, he's coached in the NHL and has done a great job in the WHL when he's been coaching. Experienced guy who's played in the NHL. He wasn't strict with the D-core in 2015 letting the defenceman rush the puck up and play their game. That's something I like seeing.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Since TSN is reporting that Dave Lowry is going to be named coach for next year, does anyone have any insights on him?

I just have a question about this- excuse my ignorance, but is there a rule that says that Hockey Canada cannot bring the same head coach for two straight tournaments? This nation won Gold for the first time in 6 years. Why not bring back the same coach?

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
I just have a question about this- excuse my ignorance, but is there a rule that says that Hockey Canada cannot bring the same head coach for two straight tournaments? This nation won Gold for the first time in 6 years. Why not bring back the same coach?

Put yourself in his position, after ending a drought, with the team he had, a team that we might not see the likes of for years and years, the bond and ride they went through together, it was pure magic How can you top or even come close to this feeling emotionally next year in Helsinki. It would be extremely difficult for him as it would be for any other coach.

Why continue? Go out while your on top. This country has enough coaches at this level.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Lowry coaches a hard-nosed game. Players play hard every game and even though they don't have a lot of skill the Royals are having a great season. Lowry was responsible for the defence at the 2015 WJC and I'd say he did a great job with those guys, but of course they were all very good players in the CHL aswell.

I like the decision, he's coached in the NHL and has done a great job in the WHL when he's been coaching. Experienced guy who's played in the NHL. He wasn't strict with the D-core in 2015 letting the defenceman rush the puck up and play their game. That's something I like seeing.

That's good to hear. Doesn't look like an exceptional group of defencemen for 2016.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008

Groulx said it was always going to be one and done for him. Remember these coaches lose their christmas, and the first half of the regular season is hell for them

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
That's good to hear. Doesn't look like an exceptional group of defencemen for 2016.

I expected Dale Hunter to get the assignment, but his attention and heart seems to be in London 100%. The d-corp is good enough to contend, but if Fabbri and Bennett are playing in the NHL next year and unavailable, then I don't give the team much of a chance to contend for a gold medal. To play for a medal of any color would be an accomplishment. It's difficult to win championships without your 3 best centers and number 1 stud d-man.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I expected Dale Hunter to get the assignment, but his attention and heart seems to be in London 100%. The d-corp is good enough to contend, but if Fabbri and Bennett are playing in the NHL next year and unavailable, then I don't give the team much of a chance to contend for a gold medal. To play for a medal of any color would be an accomplishment. It's difficult to win championships without your 3 best centers and number 1 stud d-man.

I would be surprised if Fabbri is gone. He doesn't look particularly big yet, he didn't destroy junior the way some others did, and St. Louis is quite deep. I'm more concerned about Dal Colle or even Crouse, Marner and Strome being gone. Dal Colle had a big year and could fit in at wing in New York, Crouse is at least big and defensively responsible, while Strome and Marner had huge years despite their relative weaknesses (skating and size). I doubt Calgary sends Bennett back, though they need to be really careful with him if he isn't physically ready to play his style of game in the NHL. Don't want him approaching a Brule situation in any way.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I would be surprised if Fabbri is gone. He doesn't look particularly big yet, he didn't destroy junior the way some others did, and St. Louis is quite deep. I'm more concerned about Dal Colle or even Crouse, Marner and Strome being gone. Dal Colle had a big year and could fit in at wing in New York, Crouse is at least big and defensively responsible, while Strome and Marner had huge years despite their relative weaknesses (skating and size). I doubt Calgary sends Bennett back, though they need to be really careful with him if he isn't physically ready to play his style of game in the NHL. Don't want him approaching a Brule situation in any way.

I'd forgo the wingers for strength down the middle. Strome is an undersized (not physically matured) slow-skating center, and if he's the NHL next year, then that GM needs to be taken out to the woodshed and beaten. I hope he works on his skating over the summer. Yes, I do want those wingers on the team, but doubt their presence can compensate for losing 3 of our best centers and #1 D-man. We'll see how it goes in September.

I believe Fabbri was hurt in St. Louis training camp, thus missing the start of the OHL season and then of course the WJC injury; had it not been for those injuries, and the injury to Bennett, then they'd be right up there in destroying junior much like Marner, Strome and McDavid did. 5 fabulous players.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd forgo the wingers for strength down the middle. Strome is an undersized (not physically matured) slow-skating center, and if he's the NHL next year, then that GM needs to be taken out to the woodshed and beaten. I hope he works on his skating over the summer. Yes, I do want those wingers on the team, but doubt their presence can compensate for losing 3 of our best centers and #1 D-man. We'll see how it goes in September.

I believe Fabbri was hurt in St. Louis training camp, thus missing the start of the OHL season and then of course the WJC injury; had it not been for those injuries, and the injury to Bennett, then they'd be right up there in destroying junior much like Marner, Strome and McDavid did. 5 fabulous players.

It looks like it would be up there historically talent wise if everyone played. We know Ekblad won't be there (by far the worst loss given the other defencemen) and McDavid won't be there. If Canada can get two of Bennett, Fabbri and Marner then the centre position will be more than fine.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
It looks like it would be up there historically talent wise if everyone played. We know Ekblad won't be there (by far the worst loss given the other defencemen) and McDavid won't be there. If Canada can get two of Bennett, Fabbri and Marner then the centre position will be more than fine.

heard the new coach on TH last night. Liked what I heard, both what he said about the preparation for the tournament just finished and going forward. so long as Salmond keeps his nose out of the team/player selection, then I'm happy. I lay the blame for the 5 year drought a lot on his meddling.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
You could argue, for various reasons, that all of:

- Bennett (C)
- Fabbri (C/LW)
- Virtanen (RW)
- Dal Colle (LW)
- Crouse (LW)
- Strome (C)
- Marner (RW)
- Point (C/LW/RW)

Will be available to us in December. Add to the mix Chartier (C/LW/RW), Konecny (RW), and Barzal (C/RW), and the forward depth will be really good. Based on my viewings this year Bennett seems ready to make the leap, Fabbri is very close (though may be blocked by St. Louis's forward depth), and Crouse could easily end up on an NHL 3rd line but then released for the tournament. Marner and Strome aren't ready, IMO. Virtanen is somewhat of a work-in-progress. I wasn't overly impressed by Dal Colle as a #5 overall, but will be a good asset for this particular Canadian team.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Anybody know where and when this year's summer camp is going to be held? can't find bupkis on HC website.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Don't know but I'm guessing somewhere with bigger ice. Belleville or Calgary?

That's right. I forgot they had to consider big ice prep. I'd love to see it at Old Maple Leaf Gardens one of these years. perhaps next summer when prepping for 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad